Re-filling Your Water Bottles

Sounds reasonable. I think that public pools might be chlorinated a bit higher than that, but certainly have to be tested frequently, and even more frequently if there is a heavy bather load.

.....he-he-he....you said "load"..........conversation goes full circle back to the Baby Ruth floating in the pool......:D

.....he-he-he....you said "load"..........conversation goes full circle back to the Baby Ruth floating in the pool......:D

Haha. And chengkp75 said injection, so, depending on all of the bodily fluids and "loads" we're discussing, you are absolutely correct.

This is leading us a bit off line and I know you were waxing ironic, but this might be the case where perhaps being reasonable makes sense. The rule say, or least imply, "No saving of seats" and I've heard people get way bent out of shape if a spouse saves one for their other half. Certainly saving 24 would be pushing the envelope past explosive limits, but the "rules" can be interpreted at times.

To be fair, no one is put in any kind of hygienic danger if someone saves a seat. So, although this made me LOL the point of the thread about not using public water receptacles to fill bottles is a lot bigger problem IMO. I like the idea of filling them in your room.

Tom

Ummm, sure. and buy be way, please be sure to have your kids run up and down the hall and knock on all the cabin doors![emoji379][emoji379][emoji379][emoji379]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I can't argue that one. If someone knows the danger and just doesn't care then they are pretty bad. You're right.

I could almost understand someone ignoring some of the signs on cruises. There are signs everywhere and no one obeys them all. Some of them like these, and wash your hands in restrooms, and use the sanitizer, are very wise suggestions. Maybe it's we that have had Noro that understand this the best. It's a pretty serious discomfort and it can ruin an otherwise incredible vacation for a lot of people.

One time we were on a ship that had Noro the previous week and even though none of us got sick, the inconvenience from having so many precautions the week after was felt by everyone on the vacation. If we can do some logical things like put water into a cup before putting it into the bottle, or using a drinking cup for your water instead of an old bottle or wash your hands once in a while or use the sanitizer they provide or ... whatever and it's not super inconvenient and it potentially helps solve the problem for everyone... why wouldn't we?

That's why these threads are super important. They happen a lot, but I think they also serve to raise public awareness of things like health issues, how people are impacted by rudeness (pool, elevators, smoking, roll-a-rounds, whatever) tipping, etc. I've had a lot of "aha" moments reading threads and learning some ideas I may have never considered.

At home I wouldn't think twice about loading up a bottle form the faucet. I could see someone on a cruise thinking, "I'm not sick, how could this hurt?"

Great conversation... thanks!

Tom

I am not talking about people making mistakes. I am talking about people knowing what they should do and why but are simply too selfish to do it because what they do themselves won't directly affect them. People make mistakes. That is human and we all do. But some people just don't care about others and it seems from their posts that some of those have posted to this thread.

Sure. I am with you on all this. I am no "goody-two-shoes" myself... my wife knows that much!... but cruising costs everyone a lot of money and often people take a cruise for a special celebration. I just think it is encombant on all of us to try to take those sensible precautions whenever possible out of respect.

I know many people have no respect of others (as we can see all too much on this thread alone!) and as usual they spoil it for everyone else.

I use a cup and put a funnel in my hard plastic bottle and poor it in like that. Got lots of jealous looks and oohs and aahs. How much space does a funnel take in your bags? Apparently a lot of space according to some. Directly filling is just selfish and...... ewwwwwww

Cindy

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

"Ewwwwwww" is such an apt description. I agree. Maybe they should sell funnels in the novelty shop next to the logo reusable water bottles and cups.

Tom

I use a cup and put a funnel in my hard plastic bottle and poor it in like that. Got lots of jealous looks and oohs and aahs. How much space does a funnel take in your bags? Apparently a lot of space according to some. Directly filling is just selfish and...... ewwwwwww

Cindy

Edited by tserface

Or they could give them as prizes in a trivia contest. The question could be:

First question: How many cruises are ruined every year by the spread of communicable disease on ships.

[insert numbers]

Next question: There are ways we can mitigate the chance of getting the diseases:

A. Wash hands

B. Be smart about shared facilities

C. Be careful about contact with others

D. All of the above

If it was on a trivia test people would be more inclined to pay attention.

Tom

That's a great idea. I would love an RCI funnel :D

Cindy

Seen it in other places, all they need to do is add a cover where the spout is and you can't come in contact with the spout. your glass is filled by placing it on a shelf. to fill a water bottle one can use a funnel ( you get one when you order Rumrunners but that's a whole different discussion):eek:

Let me say first that I always get a new glass on the cruise ship to get a refill. But with all of the hubbub that is created about sanitary conditions on the ship, it made me wonder. I know this is on a much smaller scale but the same idea applies. How many of you request another cup when you want a refill at the fast food joint of your choice? I've never even thought about it until reading this thread. Hmmmm...

Let me say first that I always get a new glass on the cruise ship to get a refill. But with all of the hubbub that is created about sanitary conditions on the ship, it made me wonder. I know this is on a much smaller scale but the same idea applies. How many of you request another cup when you want a refill at the fast food joint of your choice? I've never even thought about it until reading this thread. Hmmmm...

The 'fast food' is probably worse for your health than the bugs you'd get from soda fountain 'splash back'. ;-)

I don't understand how this relates. What good would this do anyone?

Tom

Ummm, sure. and buy be way, please be sure to have your kids run up and down the hall and knock on all the cabin doors![emoji379][emoji379][emoji379][emoji379]

Don't get me started on the ignorant & inconsiderate fools that don't stow their supermarket karts in the bins provided. They just leave them there in the parking lots blocking future parking. I see red every time I go to WalMart.

The folks who read & ignore signs on the no-refilling bottles are ignorant, inconsiderate, or both.

To be sure, I've been ignorant in many times, but I hope that I'm not inconsiderate - or both.

Don't get me started on the ignorant & inconsiderate fools that don't stow their supermarket karts in the bins provided. They just leave them there in the parking lots blocking future parking. I see red every time I go to WalMart.

The folks who read & ignore signs on the no-refilling bottles are ignorant, inconsiderate, or both.

To be sure, I've been ignorant in many times, but I hope that I'm not inconsiderate - or both.

Why, you don't find it adorable when someone else's cart scratches your car?[emoji379]

Yours truly,

Big haired woman who saves a whole row of seats in the theater for people who don't even show up[emoji102]

So, you equate me saving a seat for my wife at the show with kids running up and down the hall knocking on doors? Although, to be fair, knocking on doors wouldn't likely be the cause of a health issue for anyone. The topic of this thread could easily help spread a disease.

OK, I guess I don't feel so bad for not understanding.

:rolleyes:

Tom

Not sure what your point is.. My point was to show some equally selfish and rude behavior

So, you equate me saving a seat for my wife at the show with kids running up and down the hall knocking on doors? Although, to be fair, knocking on doors wouldn't likely be the cause of a health issue for anyone. The topic of this thread could easily help spread a disease.

OK, I guess I don't feel so bad for not understanding.

:rolleyes:

Tom

Precisely. Annoying selfish people can be a health hazard. Let me count the ways.... And no saving seats....it's the rule, just like the water bottle rule

That's a good question. I know at Chick-Fil-A, the staff refills your drink for you, and make you hold on to the lid and straw. Most of the CFA's I've seen have the pushbutton dispensers, and eliminates contact with the cup. As for other places, many have the push button machines, and even ones with the lever, have the long levers that contact the lower portion of the cup. When I'm at a self-refill place, I always use a lid and straw, and keep the lip of my cup as far away from the dispenser nozzle as well. I would hope that everyone does this, but deep inside, I know that some really gross stuff probably happens, so I try to not think too much about it.

RIIIGHT because those glasses they have sitting out (I only have experience with Carnival, but they were just stacked on the counter near the machines. I assume that is the norm) are totally pristine. Nobody has sneezed on them, no kid has run their grimy fingers across them as they walk by. They are totally sterile...

I get the concept and why it's a rule, and I doubt I will ever bring a water bottle on a cruise, but in reality, I doubt the policy would do much to prevent the spread of disease even if followed 100% because of how the cups could become contaminated just sitting there.

RIIIGHT because those glasses they have sitting out (I only have experience with Carnival, but they were just stacked on the counter near the machines. I assume that is the norm) are totally pristine. Nobody has sneezed on them, no kid has run their grimy fingers across them as they walk by. They are totally sterile...

I get the concept and why it's a rule, and I doubt I will ever bring a water bottle on a cruise, but in reality, I doubt the policy would do much to prevent the spread of disease even if followed 100% because of how the cups could become contaminated just sitting there.

Well, at the very least, to meet USPH requirements, the counter they are stacked on must be self-draining and sanitized every 4 hours, the glasses must be inverted, and they should be under a sneeze guard. Lets face it, nothing is totally sterile, but if the epidemiologists at USPH/CDC feel that reusing glasses is a significant method of transmission, who am I to argue. And the cruise line would be happy to not have to wash more glasses if they were allowed to permit reusing glasses.