Re-filling Your Water Bottles

Why oh why oh why do people ignore the signs next to water dispensers and re-fill their water bottles?

On our recent cruise on a number of separate occasions we saw people putting the neck of the bottle they had just drunk out of on the spout of the water dispenser to support the bottle and fill it - uuugghhhhh :(

Why oh why oh why do people ignore the signs next to water dispensers and re-fill their water bottles?

On our recent cruise on a number of separate occasions we saw people putting the neck of the bottle they had just drunk out of on the spout of the water dispenser to support the bottle and fill it - uuugghhhhh :(

We were on the Jewel last fall in the Solarium and observed a "gentleman" filling his bottles with fruit juice which he apparently intended to take on a shore excursion. Bottle firmly jammed onto the spout. We pointed it out to an employee who told him "next time please don't". Never saw the employee clean or replace the spout. And they wonder how Noro gets spread.

We were on the Jewel last fall in the Solarium and observed a "gentleman" filling his bottles with fruit juice which he apparently intended to take on a shore excursion. Bottle firmly jammed onto the spout. We pointed it out to an employee who told him "next time please don't". Never saw the employee clean or replace the spout. And they wonder how Noro gets spread.

Exactly - on 2 of the occasions we saw we let a member of staff know and nobody sanitised the spout despite being told :(

I would love to see the water bottle filling stations like they have in airports. Sort of like a water fountain, except you sit the bottle on a shelf, water comes from above and a spout never touches any bottle.

M

I agree with having water bottle filling stations! They are great! In addition to being more sanitary you save on plastic in the landfills.

We observed a "lady" fill her bottle with juice in the wind jammer. Of course she put the neck of the bottle around the spout. I pointed her behavior out to a staff member in front of the woman WHILE she was doing it and the staff member immediately removed the juice dispenser. GREAT staff member and hopefully the "lady" was embarrassed, but I doubt it!!!!

So, inquiring minds want to know: how do you fill your water bottle? Do you get a glass of water & attempt to pour it into your bottle without making a mess?[/quote

Yes that's what we do! It's a pain but no cross contamination from us!

Edited by tidygirl

So, inquiring minds want to know: how do you fill your water bottle? Do you get a glass of water & attempt to pour it into your bottle without making a mess?

Yes definitely that is what you SHOULD do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, inquiring minds want to know: how do you fill your water bottle? Do you get a glass of water & attempt to pour it into your bottle without making a mess?

I work in a jail and occasionally someone will try to fill their bottle with the same type of mass dispenser and all the other inmates go crazy. It is not ok to put your water bottle with your germs against a dispenser that others get drinks from.

Even those dodo's know better.

its a pain in the a$$ to fill it from a cup so I just buy another bottle.

Resounding yes. I also happily point out the sign to anyone breaking the water filling rule as well.

This "guideline" is on the list of those that staff should proactively be watching for and address without needing to have it be pointed out to them (but don't).

OK Thanks all. My process would probably be to get a couple of glasses of water from WJ to my table/cabin to refill my bottle. For some reason, I don't think it's polite to be filling a bottle in public especially at the water station. Now the only problem is the ice. I carry an insulated mug that I use on the ship. The bottle is only for getting off in the ports.

To me this issue is always way overblown. I don't see the problem if you are filling a strawed water bottle or another type that you drink from the lid. No risk of cross-contamination. Or if you keep separation between the filler and the opening.

When on the Mariner couple wks ago there was staff at most water stations keeping an eye.

I even saw one guy fill straight to his bottle and the staff member told him no, signed him the sign and he then filled from a cup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To me this issue is always way overblown. I don't see the problem if you are filling a strawed water bottle or another type that you drink from the lid. No risk of cross-contamination. Or if you keep separation between the filler and the opening.

Regardless of whether you drink from the lid or use a straw, the bottle has been handled and in contact with fluids that have contacted your mouth. You are not even supposed to reuse the glasses provided, but use a clean one each time. While keeping a separation between the spout and the container would eliminate some cross-contamination (see below for exception), you cannot guarantee that everyone would do that, which is why the USPH requires the no-refilling signs. USPH guidelines are based on the most efficient way to prevent the spread of illness.

One area that most don't think about at these drink stations, and why they don't want you to reuse a glass, or why even not touching the spout doesn't completely protect you, is the actuating lever. The lip of the glass or water bottle touches the dispensing lever, which then touches every glass after that. I know that some lines are moving towards the "no contact" type of dispenser, but they are not universal. Frankly, I take a clean glass, wrap a napkin around the rim, hold that against the dispensing lever, and then toss the napkin.

Regardless of whether you drink from the lid or use a straw, the bottle has been handled and in contact with fluids that have contacted your mouth. You are not even supposed to reuse the glasses provided, but use a clean one each time. While keeping a separation between the spout and the container would eliminate some cross-contamination (see below for exception), you cannot guarantee that everyone would do that, which is why the USPH requires the no-refilling signs. USPH guidelines are based on the most efficient way to prevent the spread of illness.

What about the refillable cups for the Coke machine on some of the ships?

What about the refillable cups for the Coke machine on some of the ships?

I believe those are all non-contact dispensers.

Totally agree that it is gross!

Have seen a sign asking people not to do that - just like the wash your hands signs in bathrooms.

Not trying to defend anyone but wish the signs were in more languages! Realize they can't print all of them, but on the Oasis I asked a passenger to use a glass, not put several bottles up to the dispenser, pointing to the sign at the same time - she did not read or speak English. She continued to fill the bottles! A crew member also tried to explain to her, but it didn't help. Crew member did shut down and clean up - but i am sure she probably did it for the whole trip at other locations.

Maybe that should be added to their list in staterooms/boarding that give basic instructions - I believe those come in your native language where possible.