Re-filling Your Water Bottles

Why oh why oh why do people ignore the signs next to water dispensers and re-fill their water bottles?

On our recent cruise on a number of separate occasions we saw people putting the neck of the bottle they had just drunk out of on the spout of the water dispenser to support the bottle and fill it - uuugghhhhh :(

A minor sore point with me, I use to occasionally refill RC souvenir soda container with the removable top (Not a bottle neck) at water fountains when I needed a break from caffeine or sugar. The top of the container would be no closer than 8" from the spout and someone would have to make the same observation. Fortunately now the ships that have the Freestyle machine dispense water, and doing the refill with a wide mouth bottle is no different than using the Freestyle machines. Maybe the person you saw didn't read English? We had a guest Engineer from India at our company recently, he stayed for months and put his water bottle up around the spout and rinsed it around several times a day. His boss and HR wouldn't say anything for fear of "cultural sensitivity" Someone finally created a GMAIL account and told him via email.

Yes, Backwash. However, the backwash will be at the bottom of the cup, and not in the spout which the straw goes through.

Backwash actually has a molecular composition that allows it to float at any geographical position in a reusable container. its scientific fact. There are a lot of calories in backwash also

It's also in vomit.

Good point. I propose the following re-write of the sign:

"Dear Passengers: If you have recently eaten poop (aside from the food in the dinning room) or used your water bottle to catch your vomit, please do not fill your water bottle from this station (unless it has a straw)."

That should cover all bases and remove what appears to be among the most dangerous hazards of cruising. :D

I don't rant about I at all. Illness happens.

And as I said before, I've filled my bottle from dispensers that have zero contact. I just don't buy into the "the whole bottle is contaminated"

It's not about 'backwash' or mouth contamination, it's about someone handling their bottle or cup all during the day, all during the cruise. Who knows what is on their hands. Now it's all over the cup.

I can't believe people do not understand this. It's baffling.

Here read this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/14/reuse-plastic-water-bottle_n_5671681.html

While the researchers did not examine the exact source of the contamination, "the most likely source of enteric bacteria found in the students' water bottles is the hands of the students themselves," according to the study. "Inadequate and improper hand washing after students have used the bathroom facilities could result in fecal coliforms in the classroom area."

Don't. Just don't refill your water bottle at the dispenser. I will report you, even while you are there. You will cause the dispenser to be removed. I don't care how silly you consider it, the sign is there for a reason. I don't want the possibility of YOUR germs causing me to be sick during MY vacation. How hard is it to show respect to the rest of the people on the ship, and the crew member that you cause extra work for? OBEY the sign AND don't send your 9 year old to do it, thinking I won't do the same thing if it's a child. OBEY THE SIGN! GEEZ.

don't. Just don't refill your water bottle at the dispenser. I will report you, even while you are there. You will cause the dispenser to be removed. I don't care how silly you consider it, the sign is there for a reason. I don't want the possibility of your germs causing me to be sick during my vacation. How hard is it to show respect to the rest of the people on the ship, and the crew member that you cause extra work for? Obey the sign and don't send your 9 year old to do it, thinking i won't do the same thing if it's a child. Obey the sign! Geez.

Edited by finallyonboard

It's not about 'backwash' or mouth contamination, it's about someone handling their bottle or cup all during the day, all during the cruise. Who knows what is on their hands. Now it's all over the cup.

I can't believe people do not understand this. It's baffling.

The outside lip of the bottle doesn't get handled.... It's under the lid..... And most people don't touch the inside of the lid... You're stretching.

The outside lip of the bottle doesn't get handled.... It's under the lid..... And most people don't touch the inside of the lid... You're stretching.

Gee, thanks for the science lesson. Frankly, I don't understand the big deal. I can't understand why people find my germs and bacteria offensive. Get a grip.

Sincerely,

Guy who hogs chairs, saves rows of seats in the theatre, finds it adorable when my kids pee in the pool, and run down the hallways knocking on doors, refuses to wash my hands after using the toilet, finds it useless to wait in the elevator line, and enjoys sharing my intestinal discomfort with my adoring public.;)

The real question is, with a water bottle with a full width threaded lid (lets say about 2"+), why is it so difficult to follow the directions and use a clean glass to dispense and then pour into the bottle? This becomes trickier (though no less correct) with the necked down caps on "sippi" bottles.

I would love to know why guests feel they are entitled to cherry-pick the USPH requirements that they follow, while the ship has to follow them all.

Edited by chengkp75

If you can afford a cruise, you can afford to buy bottles of water, keep them in your cabin and use them to fill your refillable waterbottles, if you do not want to use the tapwater in the cabin. No chance of cross-contamination then [emoji1]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Not everyone wants to use bottled water. Hate the taste. Hate the clutter of plastic bottles in landfills. That's why I have my OWN water bottle. And next time you're in line behind someone taking time to fill their water bottle with a cup, don't tap your foot, huff, or act impatient.

Why oh why oh why do people ignore the signs next to water dispensers and re-fill their water bottles?

On our recent cruise on a number of separate occasions we saw people putting the neck of the bottle they had just drunk out of on the spout of the water dispenser to support the bottle and fill it - uuugghhhhh :(

eeyukk.