Torn Between Melia and British Hilton with 2 teens

14cruisegirl

My husband and I are going back and forth between the BCH and Melia hotel.

We have two teens that are active and we are looking for a nice beach. I have read the reviews I am leaning toward the BCH because of how close it is to the ship. If the beach is nicer at the other hotel I would prefer that. Any info would be appreciated. Thank you!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I would recommend the Hilton in an instant. We went on a beach day when we were cruising on the Gem and it was very nice!! It was quiet with a few things to do. If you want a lot of activity though, this might not be the place for you. The pool was very nice too and not very crowded. The food and drinks were also pretty good. If I remember correctly, they gave us a food voucher ($40??) when booking with the BCH. My niece (who was small at the time) told me her legs couldn't walk anymore and there were taxis right there at the hotel for a quick ride back. I might just have to go again next summer when we cruise.

We have two teens that are active and we are looking for a nice beach. I have read the reviews I am leaning toward the BCH because of how close it is to the ship. If the beach is nicer at the other hotel I would prefer that. Any info would be appreciated. Thank you!!!

Hi - I have the same dilemma... I have done them both and really enjoyed. Most recently, my sis and I did the Melia via Jitney. It worked great and we loved the beach and I snorkeled for the first time - loved it. However, in May I'm thinking of doing BCH because DH would prefer to be closer to the ship and not have the longer walks via the Jitney. But I guess we could just cab it... WHAT TO DO?

BTW, I think your teens might prefer the more activities of the MELIA.

Has anyone ever done that big water tricycle thingy?? It looks fun and is included in the day pass.

Edited by ForSharonB

The day pass is now $35ea - no longer $30. and is good from 9am to 5pm. You can pay more for a pass that includes food - more about that later. The #10 bus is still $1.25 per person each way. Whether or not you can get a towel there seems to depend upon who is working the desk. We brought ours from the ship. The beach area is nice and there are pools surrounded by palm trees with swim up bar. Looks just like the pics online. Get there just after 9am before all the hotel guests wander out so you can get your choice of chairs - but they are all pretty good. The non motorized water toys are included but we only saw a couple stand up paddle boarders - not many were using that day. Food can be included for additional up front cost or bought separately. We bought separately. A note here - they open lunch about 11:30 am - their time - not yours - which meant 11:42 the day we were there :) Across the bar on the opposite side from the beach is a grill area serving hamburgers, hot dogs and chicken sandwiches. The hot dog was $14 and the Hamburger and Chicken were $19. They came with a handful of chips and a pickle. Over by the restroom area they have another grill making Panini's for around $10 - $12 with the same sides. A better deal if you like them. Now I don't mind paying for a good burger but $19 is steep and it was just ok. Drinks range from about $3.50 for a coke to $11 for beer and $12 - $15 or so for specialty drinks. You can ask for ice water from the bar and they get it but not exactly with a big smile on their face. At one point I got two cokes and two waters and received a partial smile..lol. They take their time...just relax and go with the flow. It did not seem overrun with cruisers - somewhat easy to pick out as they had different color towels then the hotel did. For the four of us it was not cheap but we've been to enough of the crowded noisy ship excursions in the past that we have headed off on our own in the past couple cruises. We enjoyed our day there but the food options could have been better.

Edited by Trailblazers
/