Two itineraries which should I choose?

Thecat3902

Ok I have narrowed down my possible Alaskan cruise to two choices. I would love some advice as to which itinerary and ship you would choose and why.

Choice 1 is on royal Caribbean radiance of the seas porting out of Vancouver and heading north to Seward ImageUploadedByForums1429544848.476989.jpg.1a819c72adedff6782724788d97b6fe1.jpg

Choice 2 is on the Norwegian jewel round trip out of Seattle

ImageUploadedByForums1429544901.263505.jpg.5b8b65bf09b2bf31a623f51753b9b53f.jpg

Thanks for any advice I would like feedback on cost of transport to and from cruise ports, hotel advice, ease of getting to ports, etc. any advice is welcome.

More importantly .... of all the cruise options, how did you decide on these 2 options. What about their itineraries addresses your priorities?

If you do a one-way cruise, will you have time for some land travel in Alaska ?

Right away, I see a very short port time in Juneau for option 2. You'll need to be back onboard around noon-ish. Doesn't allow much time for any activities.

Being a first time cruiser from what I've looked at it looks like Hubbard glacier is a beautiful sight and I like the idea of having a scenic cruise along the inside passage. However I am not crazy about the added expense of doing two different states to fly in and out of. I hate the thought of such an added expense. I do like the long port times on the northward ship.

If I am opting to do the round trip the jewel had the best port times compared to other cruises I looked at. Some had some meager times in port.

Reading the itin you posted, the first one appears to depart from Seward and arrive in Vancouver. Or am I reading that wrong?

I vote for itins that have longish port times. Do you know that some ships sail round-trip from Vancouver? (which would give you more scenic cruising than sailing from Seattle....)

There are two VERY different itineraries. Have you looked at the flight options, compared costs? You need to do this. From Seward- you have the opportunity for some superb activities - take ADVANTAGE of being there. :) http://www.seward.com I never do any one way cruises without adding at least another week.

With the NCL Jewel, if Tracy Arm is on your itinerary. I'm a firm believer in the "necessity" to purchase the add on Tracy Arm ship tour.

You have very strong comments about the flights?

I think you are ahead of yourself, with having only these two selections? Have you looked at other cruise itineraries? Why is it, you only have these two choices?

Initial caveat: My impressions are based on relative's experiences, and my extensive research into scenery and ports. I haven't actually cruised yet.

I would choose the one-way itinerary. I have nothing against the Jewel. In fact, I've booked a cruise on a Jewel-class ship to sail soon. However, while I think Tracy Arm (Sawyer) is amazing, my SIL said when they visited in August a couple of years ago, the area near the glacier was too icy to get close and too socked in to actually see the glacier otherwise. Thus, I think you'll have more likely opportunities for glacier viewing on the one-way adventure ;-). Hubbard is supposed to be fantastic.

You would fly into Anchorage, I assume. The shuttle to Seward can be spendy. One way car rental may be expensive, so allow for some expense either way. But while in Seward, hopefully spend a day or two so you can take a cruise down Kenai Fjords. You will see glaciers as well as wildlife. The Northwestern Fjord tour is best, I've heard (and verified via the many You Tube videos), but any of the long tours will clearly get you to good glaciers and wildlife. Major Marine and Kenai Fjords (Tour Company) runs tours. There may be other vendors as well. Around Seward you can also walk to Exit Glacier. A shuttle runs to the trail-head. I've heard (relatives again) that it's not that challenging of a walk and the views are spectacular (at least they were in the pictures). Seward also has a sea life center. I used to volunteer at an aquarium so I didn't spend much time researching that since I wanted to focus on things I can't see at home. However, it's supposed to be really nice.

I would also consider a Glacier Bay itinerary, if I were you (that's the itinerary I've chosen).

If you choose the Seattle round trip itinerary, you really can't go wrong. Our area is also spectacular....if you go here, you might look at Groupons and get the whale watching out of the way before you go to Alaska ;-). It will be much less expensive, and maybe similarly good.

Thanks for the responses. I choose these two for affordability first. We are on a budget and don't want to go nuts for this trip. I definitely prefer the idea of round trip and did look at the Vancouver round trips but they all are on holland America and I also liked princess's itinerary but my husband was worried that these might not fit our personalities maybe a little more upscale than what we are used to. Maybe I am wrong on that it is just the impression we got when we looked at the cruise line videos and photos of these lines.

If we fly into anchorage it will only be the day before the cruise so we will probably take one of the tours down to Seward.

We are normally Caribbean sailors so this is a whole new experience for us. I feel like with an Alaskan cruise there are so many options and it is probably a once in a lifetime deal I don't want to pick the wrong itinerary and miss out on something great.

If budget is a concern, you need to know in advance that shore excursions in Alaska can be quite expensive. There are also more budget-friendly do it yourself choices.

Lodging, meals and transportation can also be quite expensive (if you decide to do a one way cruise).

You also need to realize that an Alaska cruise is VERY different from a Caribbean cruise. I've done several cruises to Alaska, before we went to the Caribbean. I was shocked at how little there is to see in the Caribbean when we were not in port :D On an Alaska cruise there's usually something to see most of the day, if you sail from Vancouver. If you sail from Seattle the first day out is (from what I hear) no scenery -- but there are still things to be watching for (like whales)

I definitely prefer the idea of round trip and did look at the Vancouver round trips but they all are on holland America and I also liked princess's itinerary but my husband was worried that these might not fit our personalities maybe a little more upscale than what we are used to.

I cruise HAL almost exclusively for a variety of reasons. I seriously do not think it is upscale. It's nice, it is kind-of quiet, and for Alaska "kind-of quiet" is okay. Last year on my HAL cruise to Alaska I met people who were seriously on a budget. A number of them, to be honest. Regular people, just like me.

IMHO eliminating any of the cruise lines that go to Alaska is doing yourself a disservice. I very nearly did a Carnival ship to Alaska, until my DH pointed out that it (and the Princess cruise I was considering) sailed after our easy-to-get great-coverage travel medical insurance expired. So I did the HAL cruise instead, because I still had med insurance when it sailed. And that is the ONLY reason I went on HAL last year -- the Carnival itinerary was IMHO better.

Regarding "missing out on something great" -- no matter what itinerary you choose you will miss something. That's a fact. It becomes a question of what is calling to you more.

Thanks for the responses. I choose these two for affordability first. We are on a budget and don't want to go nuts for this trip. I definitely prefer the idea of round trip and did look at the Vancouver round trips but they all are on holland America and I also liked princess's itinerary but my husband was worried that these might not fit our personalities maybe a little more upscale than what we are used to. Maybe I am wrong on that it is just the impression we got when we looked at the cruise line videos and photos of these lines.

If we fly into anchorage it will only be the day before the cruise so we will probably take one of the tours down to Seward.

We are normally Caribbean sailors so this is a whole new experience for us. I feel like with an Alaskan cruise there are so many options and it is probably a once in a lifetime deal I don't want to pick the wrong itinerary and miss out on something great.

If you are choosing based on costs- take a look at the totals. Estimate flights, transfers, hotels. Determine, the limits of your budget. If you haven't done this- the one way may already be out of range. I do mention- however- if you want to most glacier opportunity, you need to strongly consider the add on Tracy Arm tour, with the Jewel- which runs about $200pp. Some cases, Glacier Bay itineraries may now, be similar prices, with round trip Seattle cruises.

I'm not sure how, there can be so many recommendations, without having been there. I'm never going to state one is "better" than the other, when either could be a good choice for you. More important, may be to look at the budget points, as they may make the choice for you. If they turn out to be both doable, then further research in your itinerary may be the breaker?

I too am planning an Alaskan cruise, and am seriously watching the budget, and to me it will be a once in a lifetime experience, but the truth is, it might rain, it could snow, it could be foggy, so I have to be amazed and in awe of it all. Cant see the glaciers look for the bears. CAnt see the bears, look at the mountains,, etc. enjoy the fog, I really think you can be looking at the ship and cost, but flying up to Seward/Anchorage is going to cost a pretty penny. A large pretty penny, and then you want to stay up there at least a day before you cruise....and then all of those things start adding up, like food, flight, even before you step foot on the plane.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

I too am planning an Alaskan cruise, and am seriously watching the budget, and to me it will be a once in a lifetime experience, but the truth is, it

I always smile when I read this proclamation. :) :) This was MY thinking, on my first trip in 1994!!! It's now about 50 trips later, so you never know- if you will get bit- and have to return. Enjoy your time in Alaska. It is paradise for me. :)

thecat3902, just another quick note. Please don't get discouraged :) All the questions and comments from posters are to help you find the best answer for you, given your circumstances/situation. I know when we picked our first Caribbean cruise, it was "hot? sandy? sunny?, yeah that'll do" :D Not quite the same as an Alaska cruise ;)

HAL ... upscale ? definitely not.

Alaska cruises are relaxed and comfortable. You'll wear jeans or khakis all day and wear them to dinner as well (except formal night).

Celebrity has a RT cruise from Vancouver which goes to Hubbard. HAL visits Glacier Bay.

Have you read any trip reports in the STICKYs above? Here are 2 photo journals from 2013 on the HAL Volendam. When you see crowd photos, notice that everyone is wearing jeans and khakis. Even on formal night the women just wear slacks and a nice top.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1886845

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1887232

There are budget activities in every port. No need to spend a fortune ! But perhaps budget for one special excursion that will remind you of Alaska forever.

Ketchikan ... take the city bus to Totem Bight; fascinating display of totems and a beautiful waterfront setting. Pick up a map at the visitor center for a self guided tour of the town ... Married Mans trail, Creek St, fish ladder

Juneau ...$20 for a shuttle to Mendenhall Glacier. Walk to Nugget Falls.

Skagway ... rent a car and drive to the Yukon. OR, visit the Goldrush Museum, do a ranger-walk, take the city bus or walk to the Goldrush Cemetary at the edge of town where some of the goldrush characters are buried. There's a trail at the cemetery to Lower Reid Falls.

Every town has a web site to promote tourism and local vendors. Borrow an Alaska travel book from your library to learn about each of the ports and DIY activities.

Edited by mapleleaves

We're sailing the NCL Sun Northbound out of Vancouver next summer, in part because it does both Glacier Bay and Hubbard. We knew we wanted one-way, however, because we wanted to spend time visiting in Anchorage and see Denali. For the 3 of us (2 adults, 1 teen), the cruise itself is pretty budget. It looks like the excursion and the after-tour (probably DIY) are going to be the more expensive bit of the trip.

We're DCL sailors, so this will be our first non-Mickey cruise - but I couldn't imagine sailing the itineraries Disney sails in Alaska. NCL's changes in smoking policies have made this ship a possibility for our family. I'm looking forward to the itinerary and the ports, and trying not to read too much about NCL to worry me in the meantime! (I've done that before - twice we booked Celebrity, and twice we ended up cancelling, in part because of reading too much!) From what I can tell, it's hard to go too wrong in Alaska if you're aiming to enjoy the scenery and the wildlife.

I also liked princess's itinerary but my husband was worried that these might not fit our personalities maybe a little more upscale than what we are used to.

I felt that way when I was planning our first cruise in 2011; I thought we would be more comfortable on the Alaskan ferries! Instead we had a lovely time on the Island Princess and felt comfortable at all times. Folks were there to enjoy the scenery, wildlife, and native cultures -- the ship was a way to get to spectacular places.

I agree that you need to create some kind of document / spreadsheet to calculate all costs. As the airfare is costly it becomes practical to add in time both pre and post cruise. The budget part comes in when deciding on what to do in ports and where to stay when not on the ship. You certainly do not have to do it all! We are returning to Alaska in 2016 to do things we missed the first time.

In case you have not got the idea - an AK cruise is more about AK than the cruise :D.

One way vs RT - Pros - typically longer port times. Chances to see two glacier areas - going inside Vancouver Island. Cons - longer flight time getting to/from Anchorage requires at least one extra day to transit Anchorage to Seward/Whittier. If going this route you should plan to spend the time and $$ to see either Denali and/or the Kenai Peninsula.

RT - Seattle - Pros - lots of ships to choose from easy airport access. Cons - fewer time spent in some ports - sails on the outside of Vancouver Island which can get rough in bad weather and is less scenic.

RT - Vancouver - Pros - inside the island - longer port times. Cons - fewer ships to choose from (most are doing one ways).

Once you have made the RT vs One Way decision. I would look at the various ports - take a look at www.cruiseportinsider.com this should help you get a better idea of what is available in each port. Once you have found the ports that interest you the most - find a cruise itinerary that visits them and go with it. For example if you like trains then you might want to see the White Pass & Yukon RR in Skagway - so you might want to insure that your cruise includes Skagway and spends a good amount of time there.

I think that most cruise lines are going to have similar demographics and offer similar onboard experiences.