#10 Jittney to Melia

lv2BonBoard

Has anyone taken the Jitney to Melia recently? I have done this before when it was the Sheraton and would like to go again. We have heard about the warnings of increased danger in Nassau and I'm wondering if it is still safe to travel by Jitney or if I should look for a taxi.

My wife and I, and our two daughters took the #10 Jitney to Melia this past Friday the 3rd. It was a great experience. $1.25/pp one way. Gave the driver $6.00 when he dropped us across the street. The ride took maybe 10 minutes from town, and the locals were extremely friendly. Anyone who got on, said "good day" or "good afternoon". As a side note, the Jitney and the cabs look very similar, and the cabs are $5/pp one way - and they load those with people as well. Highly recommend the Jitney. Just make sure not to get on the 10A...

We like to take a van cab $5 pp. to the Melia and have taken the Jitney back.

If time is an issue, we take a cab both ways.

The Melia has big nice pools and a big stretch of Cable Beach. It is a nice resort. Check out the photos on their website.

We just went to the Melia on 4/7. The jitney/bus has #10 on the side. A 10 -15 minute ride each way depending upon the number of people picked up or dropped off. It was quicker going then coming back for us but still ok. We had no problem walking from the cruise dock to the bus pick up just after the corner for the straw market. In fact, after walking through the folks offering tours etc in the main area outside the ship, not one person approached us in town. No hair braiding our tour hucksters. Not one. Pay for the bus as you get off. We liked Melia. Now $35 per person and the day pass is good from

9a-5p. Food is a bit pricey for what you get but hey we're used to paying more in resort areas so this is nothing new.

• 3 weeks later...
Would the Jitney be ok to take with small children (4yo and 1yo)? We'd like to go to Melia.

Bump EricCruisers question. We have a 4year old and 2 year old

We have taken cab in the past but considering the Jitnet to Melia/Cable Beach

Safe for the kids and us?

Bump EricCruisers question. We have a 4year old and 2 year old

We have taken cab in the past but considering the Jitnet to Melia/Cable Beach

Safe for the kids and us?

I've seen Bahamian children on the jitney so I think they will be fine. :) The jitneys we've been on haven't seemed any less safe than the taxi drivers. Just be aware that you'll have to do more walking to get to the bus stop and from the bus stop to Melia (requires crossing the street), while a taxi will drop you off at the hotel's lobby. That might be more difficult with two small children.

ETA: My parents live in Cary.

Edited by CruisinCrow

Yes. The Jitney was safe for small children. As anywhere, you just need to be aware of your surroundings. I will say the Jitney seemed safer than the COTA bus service here in Columbus, OH but I'm sure each route is different.

Melia was a nice resort and it was $35 per adult (I think over 12) and maybe $25 for kids. This price only included snorkel gear and not "all non motorized activities" like the lady at the front desk told us. The hotel was extemely crowded the day we were there, and there were only two ships in Nassau that day, so we had difficulty finding chairs. The banana daquiri i had by the bus stop in front of Melia was woth the jitney fare alone, and quite frankly, I would have rather saved the money and gone to Junkanoo Beach instead of melia. We walked there before we got back on the ship and it was very clean and beautiful, with few people selling things. As a note we did arrive on Good Friday, so there may not have been as many people out that day. Either way, it was beautiful and the locals we encountered were very friendly.

Yes. The Jitney was safe for small children. As anywhere, you just need to be aware of your surroundings. I will say the Jitney seemed safer than the COTA bus service here in Columbus, OH but I'm sure each route is different.

Melia was a nice resort and it was $35 per adult (I think over 12) and maybe $25 for kids. This price only included snorkel gear and not "all non motorized activities" like the lady at the front desk told us. The hotel was extemely crowded the day we were there, and there were only two ships in Nassau that day, so we had difficulty finding chairs. The banana daquiri i had by the bus stop in front of Melia was woth the jitney fare alone, and quite frankly, I would have rather saved the money and gone to Junkanoo Beach instead of melia. We walked there before we got back on the ship and it was very clean and beautiful, with few people selling things. As a note we did arrive on Good Friday, so there may not have been as many people out that day. Either way, it was beautiful and the locals we encountered were very friendly.

I second GT14's comments. The locals on the jitney were very friendly. One note to everyone on the jitney: it is pay as you leave, not pay as you get on.

By the way, GT14, "Go Jackets?"

Would the Jitney be ok to take with small children (4yo and 1yo)? We'd like to go to Melia.

I am on your Carnival Cruise & will be going to Melia as well. Have you decided on Jintney or taxi? Maybe we can go together? I have kids as well, although much older--14 & 8.

We just took the #10 Jitney to Melia with our 9 year old grandson but rather than going to the resorts we walked through the parking lot to the left of Melia and did Cable beach for free. There is also another resort to the left of the Melia (from the street view) that had a restaurant and while we did not eat there others on the beach told us the food was good and reasonable. DH and grandson also rented a wave runner. So there are options for Cable rather than the resorts.

We just took the #10 Jitney to Melia with our 9 year old grandson but rather than going to the resorts we walked through the parking lot to the left of Melia and did Cable beach for free. There is also another resort to the left of the Melia (from the street view) that had a restaurant and while we did not eat there others on the beach told us the food was good and reasonable. DH and grandson also rented a wave runner. So there are options for Cable rather than the resorts.

Did you feel safe on the Jintey? When you were ready to leave do you just go to the drop off spot & wait for it to come back? Also, was it hard to find once leaving the ship? tia

I am on your Carnival Cruise & will be going to Melia as well. Have you decided on Jintney or taxi? Maybe we can go together? I have kids as well, although much older--14 & 8.

Hi! I'm leaning more towards taxi. I think it might be easier with the little ones. Going together might work! Does anyone know if a taxi will hold all of us? There's 4 in our family--how many in yours?

Hi! I'm leaning more towards taxi. I think it might be easier with the little ones. Going together might work! Does anyone know if a taxi will hold all of us? There's 4 in our family--how many in yours?

We also have 4. I am going to post on the f b roll call page also & see if anyone there has any information.

We have decided to do the #10 Jintey.

Definitely a good choice. It is public transportation and is far from luxury accommodations, but it is friendly, cheap, and reliable and the driver and people are friendly. Good luck!