Very confused pre cruise hotels in NY

I'm really confused and I will tell you why. My family ,husband ,wife and 15 year old son are travelling to NY to cruise on the breakaway for xmas. We will be coming in from Toronto the day before and I am looking for our pre cruise hotel that will have parking and our plans are to park at the cruise port for the week we are away. We do want to site see the day we arrive so something with transportation or walking distance would be great.

Budget is limited with our exchange rate on the us dollar at 25 % right now,

but if the hotel is just right then I will spend more.

Any help you amazing CC people could give me would be appreciated.

I'm really confused and I will tell you why. My family ,husband ,wife and 15 year old son are travelling to NY to cruise on the breakaway for xmas. We will be coming in from Toronto the day before and I am looking for our pre cruise hotel that will have parking and our plans are to park at the cruise port for the week we are away. We do want to site see the day we arrive so something with transportation or walking distance would be great.

What exact date do you need a hotel room? Dec 19? Port Parking is going to be $40/day, so $280 for the week and another $50 for the extra night in a parking garage. What is your hotel budget?

Are you willing to prepay the hotel? Hotwire has some decent prices.

Another option is to stay in Jersey City near PATH where the hotel rates and parking rates will be much more affordable. The Doubletree is $158 tax included and is about 3 blocks from PATH which will take you to either 33rd & 6th or the World Trade Center. This area is close to the Holland Tunnel and parking is $25.

The hotel deals for your date will be in downtown Manhattan. Business travel will be really off at that time.

yes we will be needing a room for dec. 19 and I would like to stay under 200.00 for that night. I was looking at the holiday inn express on 48 th street.

You are extremely helpful and I have never posted before. I was nervous that this question has been answered a 1000 times before and your reply has made me feel better about posting.

48th street is a central location. Park on street if possible or in garage, and to sight see, use subways. Group your excursions by midtown, downtown, uptown. Museums are uptown, Bdwy is midtown, 9/11 and Little Italy, Statue of Liberty are downtown .....then there's cross town, from GC to Times Sq...what do u want to do and I'll try to help. By the way, that's very low budget price got s hotel in Manhattan.

yes we will be needing a room for dec. 19 and I would like to stay under 200.00 for that night. I was looking at the holiday inn express on 48 th street.

You are extremely helpful and I have never posted before. I was nervous that this question has been answered a 1000 times before and your reply has made me feel better about posting.

Your hotel will be $230 including tax.

Did you consider parking at Port Imperial for the 8 days? $15/day ($120) plus $27 each way by ferry to $39th st. Cab to the HIX would be under $10 or there are free buses or you can walk. You would save the tunnel toll of $14, so this option is only about $180 instead of $280 + $50ish + $15 toll. IMO if you are on a budget and want to stay in a Manhattan hotel, parking is the place to save the money.

We are doing the same thing in about 3 weeks and have had no luck finding NYC hotels that offers parking for the week. I recently came across the Embassy Suites Secaucus (NJ) that offers a cruise/park package - but it's sold out on our date! Here is the web link. Check it out for your sailing.

http://embassysuites3.hilton.com/en/hotels/new-jersey/embassy-suites-secaucus-meadowlands-MEANJES/offers/100028384.htm

We are doing the same thing in about 3 weeks and have had no luck finding NYC hotels that offers parking for the week. I recently came across the Embassy Suites Secaucus (NJ) that offers a cruise/park package - but it's sold out on our date! Here is the web link. Check it out for your sailing.

http://embassysuites3.hilton.com/en/hotels/new-jersey/embassy-suites-secaucus-meadowlands-MEANJES/offers/100028384.htm

You won't even find a hotel in NYC that will let you park for free while you are staying there.

Lodgings for a car in New York are super expensive and the hotels that offer park/sleeps are primarily at Newark Airport. That's why parking at Port Imperial makes so much sense. You can drop off luggage right at the ferry terminal. On the other side you can take a cab (or walk or use the free bus if it goes where you want to go). Not a lot of luggage handling required if you don't want to do it. And best of all you don't have to drive in Manhattan or go through the tunnel. If you want to do door to door in a car, you will pay dearly for it.

The OP has found a reasonable hotel close to the pier. However if they insist on driving into NY, they will pay way more for their car lodgings than their hotel.

48th street is a central location. Park on street if possible or in garage, and to sight see, use subways. Group your excursions by midtown, downtown, uptown. Museums are uptown, Bdwy is midtown, 9/11 and Little Italy, Statue of Liberty are downtown .....then there's cross town, from GC to Times Sq...what do u want to do and I'll try to help. By the way, that's very low budget price got s hotel in Manhattan.

I would like to know where you find "street" parking in the midtown area? Even if you are lucky enough to find some street parking at night, it is alternate side of the street parking and you have to move your car, or there is a muni-meter. Also December 19th is the height of the Christmas in New York season. I think Carol's idea of leaving your car in NJ and taking the ferry over makes the most sense because you don't want to experience gridlock.

I lost sight of the fact that the OP postie1980 is new to cruisecritic.

OP - could you give us some feedback? Have you ever been to NYC before? Is there a reason why having your car in Manhattan is a necessity? You've done really well so far finding a hotel for $230 that is close to the cruise terminal with walking access to Times Square. We just have to find a good plan for disposing of your car safely while you go on a wonderful cruise!

• 3 weeks later...

Carol, you are always such a wealth of knowledge when it comes to New York concerns. My husband and I are thinking of parking at the Port Imperial garage and were wondering if you could explain how it works. I have emailed them, but have not gotten a response. Do you pay up front, or on your way out? Is it truly a safe enviroment for the week? We usually stay in Elizabeth, and most recently stayed at the Embassy suites in Secaucus, but thought we would travel in the day of departure this time.

Thanks

Kris

Besides NJ, check out Tarrytown, Elmsford, White Plains. If hotels have free parking and a shuttle to the RR station, it may be another option in addition to NJ. The Marriott has a large lot.

Edited by mrobstad

Only a hopelessly optimistic, uninformed out-of-towner would think it a good idea to drive anywhere in Manhattan within a week of Christmas. And only the Grinch would suggest trying to find street parking then.

I'm not aware or Port Imperial, but some off-island parking is the way to go -- perhaps check hotels in White Plains, NY or Stamford, CT - both easy train rides into mid-town, with much better rates

Your hotel will be $230 including tax.

Did you consider parking at Port Imperial for the 8 days? $15/day ($120) plus $27 each way by ferry to $39th st. Cab to the HIX would be under $10 or there are free buses or you can walk. You would save the tunnel toll of $14, so this option is only about $180 instead of $280 + $50ish + $15 toll. IMO if you are on a budget and want to stay in a Manhattan hotel, parking is the place to save the money.

Is there a limit on how long to park at Port Imperial $15/day?

Plan to park there 10 days and take the ferry to 39th street like you said and stay in Manhattan for 3 days for sightseeing.

Carol, you are always such a wealth of knowledge when it comes to New York concerns. My husband and I are thinking of parking at the Port Imperial garage and were wondering if you could explain how it works. I have emailed them, but have not gotten a response. Do you pay up front, or on your way out? Is it truly a safe enviroment for the week? We usually stay in Elizabeth, and most recently stayed at the Embassy suites in Secaucus, but thought we would travel in the day of departure this time.

Thanks

Kris

I haven't parked at Port Imperial. Perhaps others can comment.

Folks have reported they were able to do a drop off of one person and luggage right at the terminal and then park the car, so that sounds easy in terms of luggage management.

I haven't parked at Port Imperial. Perhaps others can comment.

Folks have reported they were able to do a drop off of one person and luggage right at the terminal and then park the car, so that sounds easy in terms of luggage management.

Has anyone park at Port Imperial $15/day? And is there a limit on number of days you can park there? Thank you in advance.

We stayed at the Homewood Suites in Edgewater,NJ which is just up the river from Port Imperial. They had free indoor parking and free shuttle to Port Imperial. This was a couple years ago, and it was a real nice hotel in a nice area. We could see our ship from our hotel room when we got up the day of our cruise.