Booking Tours at Skagway

newbie_mke

I have my dog sledding+Helicopter tour booked for 9:15 AM. I wanted to look for backup options or at least something to do post Noon.

Particularly interested in the Yukon Discovery (Emerald Lake) Tour - 6 hours total. I am looking for something around Noon.

But looks like all the Tours depart by 10 AM. Dave departs as early as 8 AM.

My ship leaves Skagway at 8 PM.

Can i get to book Tours near the Pier for Emerald Lake? What are my options at the Pier?

I see some Tour Operator Offices near 3rd and Broadway.

Please share your experiences.

Thanks!

I don't know of any Emerald Lake tours leaving outside of earlier morning.

The only option you are going to have is to have a car rental lined up and confirmed and drive there yourself. Frankly, I would pick up the car at 8am anyway, then drive yourself to TEMSCO. Easy touring when you return.

I don't know of any Emerald Lake tours leaving outside of earlier morning.

The only option you are going to have is to have a car rental lined up and confirmed and drive there yourself. Frankly, I would pick up the car at 8am anyway, then drive

What can a family of 3 do if there are no car rentals available from Avis on the day we are in Skagway? We really want to travel up to Emerald Lake with stops on the way.

Have you had the opportunity to review the available tours from the cruise line website. Or try Google Skagway for ideas. The last option is picking up a book from the library. I don't recall seeing any tours sold from the pier in Skagway.

What can a family of 3 do if there are no car rentals available from Avis on the day we are in Skagway? We really want to travel up to Emerald Lake with stops on the way.

There are a few tour companies that go to Emerald lake. Some of them take you on the White Pass railroad for the first part of the trip, followed by a bus tour to Emerald lake. Check on TripAdvisor for recommendations or search this board.

Meanwhile, you can check the Avis web site periodically to see if any cars become available. Since there is no cost to reserve a rental car, there might be some people that make bookings and cancel them later when they decide to go on an excursion instead. If you are really motivated, you might call the Skagway Avis office and ask. They might have some rental inventory that they hold back. Good luck with your planning.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Check with the other 2 rental companies, Sourdough and Green Jeeps.

I don't recall seeing any tours sold from the pier in Skagway.

There is a tour office at the Railroad Dock, and a tour kiosk at the Broadway Dock. These are operated by M&M, who has the City contract to do such things. There are fully independent offerings at 3 or 4 places along Broadway.

There is a tour office at the Railroad Dock, and a tour kiosk at the Broadway Dock. These are operated by M&M, who has the City contract to do such things. There are fully independent offerings at 3 or 4 places along Broadway.

Thank you

We had a great experience with Green Jeep. They provide a cooler with snacks and an audio guide for the trip up. If you share the cost with another couple, the price is great. Get the 4 door.

Edited by RVRoadie

We had a great experience with Green Jeep. They provide a cooler with snacks and an audio guide for the trip up. If you share the cost with another couple, the price is great. Get the 4 door.

They have 3 people, so a tight fit with 5. :(

There are a few tour companies that go to Emerald lake. Some of them take you on the White Pass railroad for the first part of the trip, followed by a bus tour to Emerald lake. Check on TripAdvisor for recommendations or search this board.

Meanwhile, you can check the Avis web site periodically to see if any cars become available. Since there is no cost to reserve a rental car, there might be some people that make bookings and cancel them later when they decide to go on an excursion instead. If you are really motivated, you might call the Skagway Avis office and ask. They might have some rental inventory that they hold back. Good luck with your planning.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Avis does not "hold back" any inventory.

Only option would be check every day, but don't count on it opening up. With the free reservations- some people don't even bother canceling.

Last option- would be to park yourself for a later no show release. I know a couple years ago- they were holding the cars for 2 hours. Sourdough most always sells out as well.

Avis isn't the only vendor in town. Look at the Skagway web site for others.

Edited by mapleleaves