Hotels near Cape Liberty

DJ1VIKES

Going on a cruise out of Cape Liberty, any suggestions on where to stay. I plan on flying in the day before.

We stayed in Elizabeth, which is not far from the airport. There are 3 hotels in the same complex: Residence Inn, Country Inn & Suites, and Courtyard.

We stayed at the Fairfield Inn and Suites in Elizabeth before our Quantum cruise. There were 8 of us and it was the day of the Super Bowl so we were able to watch the Super Bowl on the large screen TV in the lounge area and the young woman at the front desk ordered an enormous pizza (complimentary) for us to eat during half time. The free pizza and the results of the game made us very happy campers.:D

When you guys stayed in Elizabeth, how did you get to the cruise port?

We used a car service called Black Executive Car. I think it was around $60 each way.

We stayed at Embassy Suites Newark Airport (it's also in Elizabeth). Free shuttle from airport, across the street from a huge outlet mall (the shuttle will take you), and they shuttled us to a restaurant (just ask the driver). Price was reasonable and full breakfast buffet. They have a car service representative in the lobby, but if it's only 2 of you a cab to the port may be cheaper.

We always stay at the Newark Penn Hilton since we take the train and it's right across the street. This will probably get moved to the east coast departures board since it isn't RCI related, perse. Anyway, on the east coast departure board there is a thread all about Cape Liberty called something like "Cape Liberty 411" that was started and is fed by NJ locals and those that have cruised in and out of NJ a lot. We use Dial 7 car service most of the time when leave the ship because we're usually going into NYC. From Newark, we have the hotel concierge call a car service and we've had very good experiences with that.

Edited by BND

Going on a cruise out of Cape Liberty, any suggestions on where to stay. I plan on flying in the day before.

You are getting excellent recommendations. However, your hotel selection can be affected by whether you plan to go into NYC before the cruise. Food acquisition can be limited at airport hotels. Most hotels offering free breakfast do not have a restaurant. Some hotels offer a port shuttle (which you pay for in the room package price), but we don't recommend all the hotels that do this.

What us your exact date? How many people? Budget? NY sightseeing plans. Dining requirements, if any. Flight arrival time?

Edited by 138east

I know i am asking the impossible. We will be coming into Newark on Amtrak. What would you recommend. We need a hotel where we can get transportation into NYC.(tour at 7th and 53rd) on a Saturday ,we need shuttle service to pier and then back.

You are so knowledgeable. I would appreciate any help. .. we have never been to NY. So confused about the areas around EWR and the PATH ,lite rail service and Airtrain. The more I read the more confused I get.

I know i am asking the impossible. We will be coming into Newark on Amtrak. What would you recommend. We need a hotel where we can get transportation into NYC.(tour at 7th and 53rd) on a Saturday ,we need shuttle service to pier and then back.

You are so knowledgeable. I would appreciate any help. .. we have never been to NY. So confused about the areas around EWR and the PATH ,lite rail service and Airtrain. The more I read the more confused I get.

You're not asking the impossible, but......

I need more information - exact dates you need a hotel, number of people, hotel budget. What time would you arrive on Amtrak? What would your schedule be for going in and out of NYC? Is accessible public transit to the port an option?

I'm assuming that if you are traveling by train, you can manage your luggage. Take the shuttle service to the pier off the table for now - there is only one hotel at the airport that we recommend that offers this and you pay about $70 for two people in the hotel price.

You have to look at the big picture and balance time, money, and stress.

I did a similar trip in Jan without the side trip into NYC. Amtrak from Boston to Newark Penn Station arriving at 8:30 PM, shuttle to the Robert Treat Hotel (would have been a cheap cab ride if I didn't want to wait for the free shuttle), free breakfast in the morning, 9 am shuttle back to Newark Penn Station (5 min ride), PATH to Exchange Place (no problem getting a seat with luggage), and light rail to Bayonne (accessible street level station right across a small plaza - no problem with luggage on an empty train). Arrived at 34th St in Bayonne a little after 10 am. A friend picked me up with her car service, but I could have called a cab to go into the port, which is right across the street from the light rail station. Path is $2.75/pp, light rail is $2.10/pp, and cab would be in the $10-12 range.

NJ Transit map with Path and light rail

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf

NJ Transit - find schedule

http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainTo

Path Map

http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps-schedules.html

Hudson-Bergen Light Rail Map

https://www.njtransit.com/pdf/LightRail/sf_lr_hblr_map.pdf

Edited by 138east

Carol, Thank you so much for the info. Sounds great to me. You have the knowledge of a travel agent.

I plan to book a tour in NYC. confused about how to get there.We are booked in the 2016 season on the Summit for the 14 day NE/Canada cruise.So I will not reserve hotel or tours until after the 2015 season.I know I have plenty of time but I am a long time planner and love the planning. I see you live in Boston. Any suggestions you can give me about tours I would appreciate. Have you been on this cruise?

I see you are about ready to leave yourself on a cruise.... have a great time.

Carol, Thank you so much for the info. Sounds great to me. You have the knowledge of a travel agent.

I plan to book a tour in NYC. confused about how to get there.We are booked in the 2016 season on the Summit for the 14 day NE/Canada cruise.So I will not reserve hotel or tours until after the 2015 season.I know I have plenty of time but I am a long time planner and love the planning. I see you live in Boston. Any suggestions you can give me about tours I would appreciate. Have you been on this cruise?

I see you are about ready to leave yourself on a cruise.... have a great time.

If you are arriving by Amtrak, my first choice would be for you to get off at Newark Penn Station and stay at the Newark Penn Station Hilton or the Robert Treat Hotel. This will position you to take either NJ Transit to midtown NY or PATH to downtown NY.

If you are not on a tight budget, you should also consider taking a cab to the Newport area of Jersey City to stay near the Hudson River waterfront at the Courtyard, Doubletree, Candlewood Suites, Westin or Hyatt. This would put you minutes from downtown Manhattan, so going in to the 911 memorial on Sunday morning or Friday night becomes a viable option. It also puts you in a nicer area with a waterfront walkway with views of Manhattan. You can eke a lot more out of a two night stay in this area, so it might be worth it.

My last choice would be an airport hotel. For those hotels you get off Amtrak at Newark Airport Station, and take the Airtrain to P4 where you connect with the hotel shuttle buses. Getting from any of the Newark Airport hotels to NYC will take at least an hour and costs $12.50/pp each way. Dining options at these hotels are limited. Look at the hotels on Glimcher Realty Way in Elizabeth.

Look at the big picture of where you want to spend your money and post back when you have narrowed down your options.

For Boston many folks ride the HOHO buses or walk the Freedom Trail. Boston is a walking city. The downtown area has narrow streets that don't accommodate tour buses very well, so many folks take the trolley and walk from the trolley stop to see particular places.