Am I delusional?!!?

Saraphine

In February we stayed at the Sleep Inn at the airport. I was glad to find something that wasn't $250 - $300 per night for a room to sleep in for one night. I was concerned about it, but it turned out ok. I think we must have received a newer remodeled room since it was pretty nice. They have a shuttle for $10 PP to the airport. It is 3.5 stars. There isn't much in the area. We paid $128. I figured we could order a pizza for dinner rather than cab it somewhere. We didn't have to worry about that dinner as our plane was delayed 5 hours, and we didn't arrive until 2:30 a.m.

I figured we could order a pizza for dinner rather than cab it somewhere. We didn't have to worry about that dinner as our plane was delayed 5 hours, and we didn't arrive until 2:30 a.m.

This is pretty much what we are planning to do. I have no interest in walking around an industrial area looking for eat, although from what I can see on Google Map there are quite a few within a block or two. I am glad you didn't pay big bucks for a couple hours sleep!

In a week we're staying in the Crowne Plaza I believe it was 150 right near the airport not far from the sea port either.

Prices in May will be a lot more reasonable than prices during the peak tourist season. You same room will likely be $250+ per night in January and February.

Edited by JohninDC

In a week we're staying in the Crowne Plaza I believe it was 150 right near the airport not far from the sea port either.
The rate differential between May and January stays for above average properties are night and day. The Crowne you'll be staying at for 150 at the end of May is running 312 in January, 343 in early February and 353 in late February.

Have a 14 day cruise booked Feb 21st next year. Got the hotel for $270 with 14 days of free parking. Have a high top conversion van. Should I be worried about leaving my car there? Tripadvisor has good reviews for the hotel itself.

The rate differential between May and January stays for above average properties are night and day. The Crowne you'll be staying at for 150 at the end of May is running 312 in January, 343 in early February and 353 in late February.

WOW I literally had no idea.... Glad I decided to cruise in May :eek:

Does the original poster need to be concerned with traffic on the way to the port the morning of the marathon? I know nothing about it, but I'd be concerned that road closures might make travel time to the port a bit longer.

We had a lot of problems getting to the port on our Liberty cruise last year due to a marathon..BUT, we were driving ourselves and had no idea where we were going. Traffic was certainly heavy, multiple roads closed and the police directing traffic were not pleasant. I would imagine though that the shuttle services and taxi's are used to it and I definitely would allow for extra travel time that morning.

• 2 weeks later...

OP, Im sailing January 30 and would have thought too early for priceline but I guess with the marathon you needed to get a room before they sold out.

To the other posters, Ill be coming in for one night on January 29. Is there anything going on in January 30 the weekend after the OP.

OP, Im sailing January 30 and would have thought too early for priceline but I guess with the marathon you needed to get a room before they sold out.

To the other posters, Ill be coming in for one night on January 29. Is there anything going on in January 30 the weekend after the OP.

Honestly, I was shocked when my bid went through, especially considering how low it was and 250 days ahead! I never thought it would quite honestly, I was just messing around. Almost had a panic attack when I saw it was accepted! :rolleyes:

The great thing about priceline is that you can name your price. If the hotels aren't opening rooms at the price you want, no problem. Your price will be declined and you can try the same bid again in a week or so. When we wanted a 4 star in downtown Seattle, it kept declining my bid (I started trying on and off a couple months out). But perhaps three weeks before our travel date, they accepted the same bid they had earlier refused. :D

Also take a look at Last Minute Travel, and get an idea of what the hotels are currently going for at the end of January. There might be one you want to snag immediately, with the bonus of knowing the name and location before you purchase. And cancelling is always an option with LMT as well if you find a better hotel and/or price later.

All in all, I am happy that I have a hotel room secured for our travel date. I am more than happy with the price, and I don't have to worry about scrambling to find a hotel room closer to our travel dates when everything is sold out and prices are climbing. One more thing checked off the list! Start looking now, and if you find something, go ahead and book it!

Edited by Saraphine
Sigh....terrible spelling as always!

Saraphine - the Best Western Miami Airport North is more than fine.

New, great service, clean, breakfast included. I believe the low rates is because they're still trying to attract guests to this new property.

The area is not unsafe, you can walk to early dinner and there is a convenience store nearby to buy last minute items.

tell me about it......I just booked 2 rooms at the hampton inn brickell for feb 6th, cruising the 7th and paid $237 + for each......but I wanted to stay downtown

tell me about it......I just booked 2 rooms at the hampton inn brickell for feb 6th, cruising the 7th and paid $237 + for each......but I wanted to stay downtown

If you can cancel your reservation....2 downtown hotels at a cheaper rate are available through LMTClub. The JW Marriott is 220.96 + or 517.70 inc tax for 2 rooms. The Hilton downtown is 227.50 + or 533.02 inc tax for 2 rooms. Both are highly rated on Tripadvisor. Free promo code to join club is MSJTRAVELCLUB12 Good Luck

Saraphine - the Best Western Miami Airport North is more than fine.

New, great service, clean, breakfast included. I believe the low rates is because they're still trying to attract guests to this new property.

The area is not unsafe, you can walk to early dinner and there is a convenience store nearby to buy last minute items.

Thank you for helping to put my mind at ease. The reviews on Trip Advisor all seemed great, and I usually trust that site to be fairly accurate. I think I am actually beginning to relax and look forward to it! The $200 we saved will be well put to use onboard! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone stay at the courtyard downtown? This is our first cruise out of Miami. I got a room on Hotwire for less than 125. Hoping its clean and safe! Is there anywhere close to eat? (Causal and cheap, bar food maybe) is it safe at night or should we eat AT the hotel (bet that's not cheap lol!) We are also members of LMT and its great too!