First time cruising and going to Alaska!

cirvate

We are taking our first cruise in September! Northbound from Vancouver to Whittier. I've used the "search this forum" for everything from outlets to excursions, and nearly all of my questions have been answered! It's really handy.

There's a spreadsheet for the princess beverage linked below that's incredibly helpful. I'm not sure if it's worth it for me to get it since I'll probably only have a drink or 2 per day, but my husband will since he likes coffee, beer, whiskey, and the idea of grabbing a bottle of water on the way off the boat is pretty handy.

Enjoy!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2038576

thank you! yes! my husband is definitely doing some fishing ;), and we're doing the McKinley discovery tour, klondike summit, Suspension Bridge & Salmon Bake, Salmon fishing, exclusive flightseeing & crab fest

What is your "McKinley Discovery tour"? In my opinion the Yukon Suspension Bridge is a big yawn, and not worth the money.

What is your "McKinley Discovery tour"? In my opinion the Yukon Suspension Bridge is a big yawn, and not worth the money.

sorry to hear about the suspension bridge, I was freaking out about it because I'm not very adventurous and I though that would be a great thing to do. I copied and pasted this from the excursions site:"McKinley Discovery Tour "

Imagine soaring over sky-scraping mountain peaks, miles of ice and snow, deep cravesses and azure meltwater pools. Explore the

southern face of North America's highest peak and experience a bird's eye-view of Alaska with a magnificent flighseeing tour of

America's largest state. As your flight departs Talkeetna, you begin to see how the last ice age has shaped the land as you climb

over the foothills of Denali National Park's six million acre wilderness. Moments later, the plane ascends over the Tokositna glacier,

which measures 23 miles in length. Then your pilot flies you within six miles of Mt. McKinley's granite summit. Your pilot describes the

natural wonders of Denali National Park as he descends over the Sheldon Amphitheater on Ruth Glacier Then take a final flyover the

Great Gorge before heading back to Talkeetna.

We are taking our first cruise in September! Northbound from Vancouver to Whittier. I've used the "search this forum" for everything from outlets to excursions, and nearly all of my questions have been answered! It's really handy.

There's a spreadsheet for the princess beverage linked below that's incredibly helpful. I'm not sure if it's worth it for me to get it since I'll probably only have a drink or 2 per day, but my husband will since he likes coffee, beer, whiskey, and the idea of grabbing a bottle of water on the way off the boat is pretty handy.

Enjoy!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2038576

thank you! my travel agent told me that if we purchase the beverage package it would have to be for both of us and since I don't drink much we probably won't get it, but she said that we can get a bottle of wine with dinner and they'll re cork it for us if we don't finish it.

sorry to hear about the suspension bridge, I was freaking out about it because I'm not very adventurous and I though that would be a great thing to do. I copied and pasted this from the excursions site:"McKinley Discovery Tour "

Imagine soaring over sky-scraping mountain peaks, miles of ice and snow, deep cravesses and azure meltwater pools. Explore the

southern face of North America's highest peak and experience a bird's eye-view of Alaska with a magnificent flighseeing tour of

America's largest state. As your flight departs Talkeetna, you begin to see how the last ice age has shaped the land as you climb

over the foothills of Denali National Park's six million acre wilderness. Moments later, the plane ascends over the Tokositna glacier,

which measures 23 miles in length. Then your pilot flies you within six miles of Mt. McKinley's granite summit. Your pilot describes the

natural wonders of Denali National Park as he descends over the Sheldon Amphitheater on Ruth Glacier Then take a final flyover the

Great Gorge before heading back to Talkeetna.

This is a basic flight, just make sure you aren't looking for something else, like a summit flight, or glacier landing in a skiplane as an example. this is a simple tour to book direct for more choices. A major vendor to look over tour offers is K2.

thank you! my travel agent told me that if we purchase the beverage package it would have to be for both of us and since I don't drink much we probably won't get it, but she said that we can get a bottle of wine with dinner and they'll re cork it for us if we don't finish it.

Really?! Our agent told us we didn't both have to purchase it.

• 1 month later...

ok, so the time for my Alaskan adventure is fast approaching and with last week's news about the plane crash, I'm a little nervous to the point that I am considering canceling the Mt.McKinley sightseeing flight. we also have another one booked in ketchikan. Does anyone have any encouraging words of advise to give. I really want to go because this is a trip of a lifetime, I don't want to miss anything but I haven't stopped thinking about it. Any good or bad experiences??? thanks in advance!

I have the large waterproof boots that take up much space. I hate to bring them on trips. They were helpful in Ireland when it rained.

We are cruising Alaska in early September. Do I need the boots (other than walking on a glacier) or can I get by with walking shoes?

I see tours that provide dog sled rides. Is there snow on the ground in September?

What county do you live in? I have two Alaska cruise books you can borrow if you like. I HAVE to go to the post office tomorrow- can mail them out. BratDet AT aol dot com let me know!

I HATED, HATED wasting space in my luggage for a pair of boot type shoes that were waterproofed...but I got it all in. I even got in a hair dryer (ALWAYS hate the Princess hair dryers- and I have short hair..)

I am hand carrying our outer waterproof layer jackets onto the flight to SF- cause I would not want to be bothered replacing those.

We are not drinkers so we will buy wine, etc. as we go...but look in the patter for possible Happy Hour specials...

Regarding internet- I doubt you will miss it- super expensive especially for the slowness. You can send home "free electronic postcards" to anyone you want to keep in contact with...we used them to say hello to our kids...and to send messages to others...the messages are short- so if it is a longer message send a "part 2...

I prefer fresh brewed, so I always buy the coffee card- it is good for 15 specialty coffees (which do not expire)....AND unlimited fresh brewed for the duration of your sailing...try the coffee in the buffet- if you don't mind it...then stick with it...if you don't- coffee card time!

Bernadette

ok, so the time for my Alaskan adventure is fast approaching and with last week's news about the plane crash, I'm a little nervous to the point that I am considering canceling the Mt.McKinley sightseeing flight. we also have another one booked in ketchikan. Does anyone have any encouraging words of advise to give. I really want to go because this is a trip of a lifetime, I don't want to miss anything but I haven't stopped thinking about it. Any good or bad experiences??? thanks in advance!

I don't know that I have any words of advice. But I noticed that no one seemed to respond to your post. Do you still feel like canceling? I hope you don't. I imagine that there will be some people who do. It is understandable. But I wonder if you would regret not going.

Last time in Alaska, we did a helicopter flight to the dog sledding on a glacier. We had never done anything like that before. Flying is a little scary to me, but I'm glad we went. That was a special day and I refused to let negative thoughts spoil my 50th birthday. This time we are booked for flight seeing in Misty Fjords. I'm not canceling. I really want to see it, and it is not accessible except by boat and air. I prefer seeing places on foot, as in hiking, but we have to fly in. Then we can at least land so we can get out of the plane and step into this special place.

The choice is personal. And yours alone to make. Just be sure to live your life.

I grew up in logging camps in Southeast Alaska and on Afognak Island. Flying in small planes was as big part of life. While the recent loss of life was tragic, the truth is you are still much safer on a plane, even a small plane, then you are driving your car down the road. The industry is highly regulated and the pilots go through a lot of training. Can something happen? Sure. That's a part of life. Is something likely to happen? No. Probably not. My opinion: do the flights. I would.

Not true. When it started it was everyone in the cabin.

Now just 1 can purchase.

I don't know that I have any words of advice. But I noticed that no one seemed to respond to your post. Do you still feel like canceling? I hope you don't. I imagine that there will be some people who do. It is understandable. But I wonder if you would regret not going.

Last time in Alaska, we did a helicopter flight to the dog sledding on a glacier. We had never done anything like that before. Flying is a little scary to me, but I'm glad we went. That was a special day and I refused to let negative thoughts spoil my 50th birthday. This time we are booked for flight seeing in Misty Fjords. I'm not canceling. I really want to see it, and it is not accessible except by boat and air. I prefer seeing places on foot, as in hiking, but we have to fly in. Then we can at least land so we can get out of the plane and step into this special place.

The choice is personal. And yours alone to make. Just be sure to live your life.

thank you very much for your kind words. I have not cancelled any of my excursions yet. I think if I do, I will definitely regret it. I am trying not to let my fears get the best of me, especially because I don't want to ruin it for my husband. He always dreamed about going to Alaska and it is our first trip alone in 25 years, it took a lot to get to this point so I am going to suck it up and make it a great trip!:). Thanks again!