CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

I found this:

http://www.transportazumah.com/MidtownCapeLiberty

"Convenient shuttle service is now available on ship sailing days between Midtown Manhattan and the Cape Liberty Cruise Port. Fare: $30 one way. "

Has anyone used it before? Would you recommend it? It would seem like a great way to get to the port from Mahattan (where we'll spend a few pre-cruise days), but since I haven't seen it recommended or even mentioned on these boards before, I'm a bit suspicious ;).

I found this:

"Convenient shuttle service is now available on ship sailing days between Midtown Manhattan and the Cape Liberty Cruise Port. Fare: $30 one way. "

Has anyone used it before? Would you recommend it? It would seem like a great way to get to the port from Mahattan (where we'll spend a few pre-cruise days), but since I haven't seen it recommended or even mentioned on these boards before, I'm a bit suspicious ;).

That's awesome!! I live 5 blocks from Grand Central.

Edited to say: just checked on yelp. They have 1.5 stars (only because 1 person gave 5 stars, compared to the numerous 1 star reviews). Back to prior plan.

Edited by denatravels

I found this:

Stay away! This company has been shut down numerous times by the authorities for failure to have the proper licenses to run their services.

I found this:

It has been mentioned on these boards before - all negatively.

If you really want to save money, take public transit - cab to JC Penneys at 32nd-33rd & 6th, PATH to Hoboken, and light rail to 34th Street Bayonne. Otherwise book a car service.

Stay away! This company has been shut down numerous times by the authorities for failure to have the proper licenses to run their services.

Thanks for the heads up! I guess I was right to be suspicious then.

It has been mentioned on these boards before - all negatively.

If you really want to save money, take public transit - cab to JC Penneys at 32nd-33rd & 6th, PATH to Hoboken, and light rail to 34th Street Bayonne. Otherwise book a car service.

Thank you Carol, that sounds simple enough!

edit: How long does this journey take approximately (PATH + light trail)?

Edited by Daisy P

Thank you Carol, that sounds simple enough!

edit: How long does this journey take approximately (PATH + light trail)?

It should take a little over an hour from the PATH station - entrance is to the left of Penneys. When you get to 34th St, you need to call a local cab to go into the port - about $10-12. Ask if they can pick you up on Ave E instead of in the light rail parking lot.

The PATH route is accessible with luggage via elevator. Light rail stations are street level with a slight ramp access. The Hoboken train station is historical and there are nice views of lower Manhattan. Outbound PATH and light rail are empty after 9 am, so you get seats and luggage is not an issue. I have done it several times on different routes.

Bayonne City Yellow Cab

201-339-5000

Archie’s Cab & Van Service

201-858-8800

Campbell Taxi

201-339-8300

Edited by 138east

Hi Carol,

I got a really great deal on Anthem for next year and have changed from Grandeur. We stayed at Hilton Penn this year and used Path everywhere. It was great. Thinking about Robert Treat next year. How far to walk to Penn in the morning hours? Is it safe? If we returned at night 10:00 or 11:00, will the shuttle still be running?

Thanks,

Donna

First, I want to thank the regular contributors to this thread. You are good people!

I've seen a few posts about the rates from the Courtyard on Glimcher to the port. The Assistant GM at the Courtyard just quoted me

Car - $60

Minivan - $70

Hi Carol,

I got a really great deal on Anthem for next year and have changed from Grandeur. We stayed at Hilton Penn this year and used Path everywhere. It was great. Thinking about Robert Treat next year. How far to walk to Penn in the morning hours? Is it safe? If we returned at night 10:00 or 11:00, will the shuttle still be running?

Thanks,

Donna

No real reason to walk to the station. The hotel shuttle runs on the hour and half hour and will drop you there. The morning I went, it was pretty deserted on the sidewalks, but no real reason to walk it.

Coming back late at night I would spend the money on a cab. The hotel shuttle would still be running (you can call and ask), but I wouldn't want to hang out in front of the station waiting at those hours.

The real savings can be the option to take PATH and the light rail to Bayonne.

I've seen a few posts about the rates from the Courtyard on Glimcher to the port. The Assistant GM at the Courtyard just quoted me

Car - $60

Minivan - $70

Bayonne City Yellow Cab, 201-339-5000

Archie’s Cab & Van Service, 201-858-8800

Campbell Taxi, 201-339-8300

Aloha :D

You didn't say how large a party you are. The fare will depend on how large a vehicle you will need. Your family could be 3, 5, or 10, so you need to tell the carrier the date and time of day, how many people and how many bags. I would look at these taxi companies and ask them about how much. Then you can figure out what you want to do.

Aloha :D

Those taxi companies are for local transportation in Bayonne. On a ship turnaround day they are probably busy servicing the port. They can more easily swing by the light rail station to pick up folks going into the port.

I'm not saying they won't drive to Glimcher Realty Way in Elizabeth for a pickup, but they already have a ton of business originating at the port.

For a no frills service based at the airport call Independent driver - 888-816-0973

Edited by 138east

Does anyone have suggestions on going from Newark airport to Cape Liberty, in a cab (car cheaper? There are two of us) and making a stop along the way to get a 12/24 pack of sparkling water in route?

Thank you

Are you flying in and going directly to the port? If you book a car service, you can arrange to have them make a stop at the Stop and Shop Grocery store on LeFante Way, which is on the peninsula south of Cape Liberty.

This question has been asked many times and no one has come up with a good solution. It's just not cost effective to pay a taxi or car service to make a detour to shop for water. Wine maybe, but not water. The extra money you spend doing this would probably cover buying water on the ship.

Are you flying in and going directly to the port? If you book a car service, you can arrange to have them make a stop at the Stop and Shop Grocery store on LeFante Way, which is on the peninsula south of Cape Liberty.

This question has been asked many times and no one has come up with a good solution. It's just not cost effective to pay a taxi or car service to make a detour to shop for water. Wine maybe, but not water. The extra money you spend doing this would probably cover buying water on the ship.

Yes the plan was to go directly to the port. Thank you for the update, I guess I won't be stopping for water, ship water will work fine then.

We will be driving to Port Liberty and spending the night before on Staten Island. I went online and booked what seemed to be the closest and most easily reached Ramada on Gannon Ave. However, I can find no reference to it on this site. Is there some reason for this?

We do know a little about driving to the port via the Bayonne Bridge, but really just chose this hotel out of the internet air. Most people seem to be looking for park and ride, but we are not.

Is there a problem with this hotel? Why does it seem overlooked?

Thanks.

We will be driving to Port Liberty and spending the night before on Staten Island. I went online and booked what seemed to be the closest and most easily reached Ramada on Gannon Ave. However, I can find no reference to it on this site. Is there some reason for this?

We do know a little about driving to the port via the Bayonne Bridge, but really just chose this hotel out of the internet air. Most people seem to be looking for park and ride, but we are not.

Thanks.

Can't help you on the hotel but this website is probably the best source of info for the Bayonne Bridge closures:

https://www.panynj.gov/alerts-advisories/advisories-bayonne-bridge.html

Thanks.

This hotel is out if the mainstream. Folks who live on Long Island and use the Verazanno Bridge have no real need of a hotel. Folks coming from the south and west have to pay an extra $14 bridge toll to get onto Staten Island, which is a disincentive if you're not getting cruise parking.

The availability of the Bayonne Bridge is currently affected by a long term construction project that involves daily weekday closures plus total closures on random weekends. If you have not prepurchased your hotel, I would consider rebooking at the Ramada Plaza at Newark airport. If the Bayonne Bridge is closed on your particular sail date, you will have to take the Goethals Bridge back to NJ and go north two exits on the NJ Turnpike exit 14 to follow the turpike extension to exit 14A.

It appears that you are on a 14 day cruise and planning to pay the $266 to park at Cape Liberty? Since you're Ramada fans, did you consider a park, sleep, cruise through Trinityreservations.com at the Ramada Plaza EWR for $197 TAX INCLUDED with 21 days parking, and round trip port transportation? This is a really good deal - we recommend this option all the time.

Thanks.

Many years ago I lived not far from there. The hotel sits right on top of the Staten Island Expressway.

This could be the worst major chain-affiliated hotel on Staten Island.

If you're driving in from Pennsylvania and want to stay near Cape Liberty the night before your cruise it doesn't make sense to spend the toll money and time to cross into Staten Island. You're better off staying somewhere nearby in NJ. Carol's suggestion about the Ramada Plaza EWR makes sense.

Edited by njhorseman

Ramadas and Best (Worst ) Westerns in this part of the world are best avoided....at ALL costs....

The one exception seems to be the Ramada by EWR since it was something else before and seems to have NOT gotten beaten up by heavy use....

I will never be a Ramada fan....ever, though the Ramada plaza that Carol and njhorseman referred to is not horrible and would be acceptable for a lower priced, one night pre cruise stay....

Edited by megr1125

We are driving from Ontario Canada and sailing out of Bayonne in January 2016. We are an hour north of Detroit. We are hoping to arrive two days before we cruise so that we can spend one day sight seeing as we have never been to New York. We plan on parking at the port so that we can get travelling home quickly after the cruise. Any suggestions for hotel and transportation into New York to do some sight seeing would be greatly appreciated.

Marion

We are driving from Ontario Canada and sailing out of Bayonne in January 2016. We are an hour north of Detroit. We are hoping to arrive two days before we cruise so that we can spend one day sight seeing as we have never been to New York. We plan on parking at the port so that we can get travelling home quickly after the cruise. Any suggestions for hotel and transportation into New York to do some sight seeing would be greatly appreciated.

Marion

We are staying at the Courtyard Newark Downtown in September. It's within walking distance of (and they run a shuttle to) Newark Penn Station where you can catch trains to NY Penn Station (about 20 minutes). It's also about a 20 minute drive to the cruise port. There are other hotels in Downtown Newark close to Penn Station as well.

We are staying at the Courtyard Newark Downtown in September. It's within walking distance of (and they run a shuttle to) Newark Penn Station where you can catch trains to NY Penn Station (about 20 minutes). It's also about a 20 minute drive to the cruise port. There are other hotels in Downtown Newark close to Penn Station as well.

Thank you.