Viator Tour/Transfer Company--Red Flag!

Worldtraveler 4727

Heads up on a Red Flag for Viator. I emailed them twice. Twice I received a return email stating they would respond to my question within 2 working days. They never responded. Considering the number of companies out there operating tours/transports etc, I am choosing to work with someone else.

Further disappointment comes in knowing Viator is now owned by Tripadvisor, a company I trust very much :(

I'm guessing you're aware that Viator is a booking agency, not a tour operator.

A huge operation, with thousands of tours available world-wide.

You don't mention what your query was, but is it something they have to check with the tour operator? If so, it'll likely need a few days - one of the problems of dealing with a middle-man.

We gave up seeking more information about a tour from them, got the impression that they're not interested in chasing up detail - after all, they only get a commission.

But we have done just one tour through them, & found them very efficient.

If you've not yet booked, probably best look elsewhere.

If you had an unsatisfactory tour, I think you probably need to give them more time.

But if it's regarding an up-coming booked & paid tour, then I can see your problem.

JB :)

Is there no phone number on the website now? A few years ago I had booked a transfer from FCO to hotel in Rome. After paying and receiving my voucher, I double checked the name of the hotel. It was close, but not my actual hotel. I found the phone number, placed the call. The rep was very pleasant, I explained the situation, she placed me on hold, contacted the vendor, came back to me and said my hotel would not be a problem, they could do the transfer. Took all of 5 minutes. When we arrived in Rome, one desk was closed, but we were directed to a second desk, walked out to the van and were on our way to the hotel. Driver even knew our hotel had a curfew and stated we would be dropped off first because of the curfew.

I have used viator dot com many times, and have never encountered any problems. I've used them in Rome, Venice, Paris, New York City, Amsterdam, Hawaii, and Greece. I usually go to their website, as well as the cruiseline tours to see what is available at any location I'm going to. I don't always book with them, but I like to compare tours and prices.

You don't mention what your query was, but is it something they have to check with the tour operator? If so, it'll likely need a few days - one of the problems of dealing with a middle-man.

We gave up seeking more information about a tour from them, got the impression that they're not interested in chasing up detail - after all, they only get a commission.

But we have done just one tour through them, & found them very efficient.

If you've not yet booked, probably best look elsewhere.

If you had an unsatisfactory tour, I think you probably need to give them more time.

But if it's regarding an up-coming booked & paid tour, then I can see your problem.

I am aware that they are a booking company, and I believe you are right--they are not interested in "chasing up detail." I had an important question (to me anyway) regarding transfer in Venice. It's been two weeks with no word from them. I have looked elsewhere for transfer and for answers to my questions. However, I still believe this is no way to do business--even if they "only receive a commission." They provided an email for questions; I received two return emails saying they would respond within 2 business days, and there's been no response whatsoever. I don't feel I could count on them at all for a transfer or for anything else--hence the red flag.

Is there no phone number on the website now? A few years ago I had booked a transfer from FCO to hotel in Rome. After paying and receiving my voucher, I double checked the name of the hotel. It was close, but not my actual hotel. I found the phone number, placed the call. The rep was very pleasant, I explained the situation, she placed me on hold, contacted the vendor, came back to me and said my hotel would not be a problem, they could do the transfer. Took all of 5 minutes. When we arrived in Rome, one desk was closed, but we were directed to a second desk, walked out to the van and were on our way to the hotel. Driver even knew our hotel had a curfew and stated we would be dropped off first because of the curfew.

I have used viator dot com many times, and have never encountered any problems. I've used them in Rome, Venice, Paris, New York City, Amsterdam, Hawaii, and Greece. I usually go to their website, as well as the cruiseline tours to see what is available at any location I'm going to. I don't always book with them, but I like to compare tours and prices.

Viator came recommended to me by a long-time cruising friend, and I do understand they must do a lot of things right to be so big and to have been bought by Tripadvisor. However, my first encounter with them was very disappointing, and I do not trust them. There are way too many other companies out there that are immediately responsive (like Rome in Limo) to take a chance on one that won't answer a query.

I've used Viator several times over the years in locations around the world and the experience has been very mixed -- I'd say I was more unsatisfied than satisfied with their tours. Many of them are conducted in multiple languages and on occasion the tour didn't completely match the description provided for it when I signed up.

I also have had issues with their communication. I had signed up for a tour in Rome that was cancelled due to lack of participation. No one tried to contact me to tell me that -- I didn't find out until I showed up at the meeting point, which luckily was the office of the agency providing the tour (or else who knows how long I would've waited......). At that point, they didn't want to refund my money but tried to get me to take a different tour.

Eventually I did get money refunded for that experience (and also had to get a partial refund for a tour in Portugal that completely skipped one of three listed sites....). The tour provider claimed Viator's description was incorrect.

Bottom line is that I'd rather deal directly with the company offering the tour to get an ACCURATE description of the tour and have questions answered HONESTLY. I select tours very carefully when I travel because what I see and how I see it is very important to me. I would not recommend Viator unless there is no other alternative.....

There are way too many other companies out there that are immediately responsive (like Rome in Limo) to take a chance on one that won't answer a query.

Can't argue with that ;)

The one tour we booked with Viator was because it had to be paid in advance (it involved a group visa) & we were wary about booking direct with the operator because we could find out very little about them. We felt we were on safer ground by paying a large multi-national corporation than some unknown operator on the other side of the world.

But versus a well-respected operator like Rome-in-Limo?

No contest.

Viator came recommended to me by a long-time cruising friend, and I do understand they must do a lot of things right to be so big and to have been bought by Tripadvisor. However, my first encounter with them was very disappointing, and I do not trust them. There are way too many other companies out there that are immediately responsive (like Rome in Limo) to take a chance on one that won't answer a query.

While I agree with you (see my earlier post), it's also important to note that Viator and Rome in Limo are two completely different things.

Viator is a large consolidator selling all types of tours in many global locations., their focus is on quantity not necessarily on quality.

Rome in Limo is a single company providing basically driver services in a few locations in one country. And charges a premium price for their no-doubt excellent service based on the many reviews.

• 5 weeks later...
Heads up on a Red Flag for Viator. I emailed them twice. Twice I received a return email stating they would respond to my question within 2 working days. They never responded. Considering the number of companies out there operating tours/transports etc, I am choosing to work with someone else.

Further disappointment comes in knowing Viator is now owned by Tripadvisor, a company I trust very much :(

Thank you for this board. I have made two inquires and have not heard back after receiving that return email that they would respond, "asap". It's been 2 weeks and no response. When I didn't hear after my 1st inquiry, I began to think that "this doesn't speak well of their customer service". Well,,,, I will continue to look for a tour elsewhere.

Originally Posted by John Bull View Post

Thank you John Bull. I did not know that Viator was not a tour operator. I normally do ship excursions, but was looking for a post cruise tour operator. You could possibly have saved me from making a mistake.

Why you use Viator if you can use a tour operator directly? you should know that the tour operator have to pay some sort of commissione to Viator and I don't think they are happy to do so, I think you will get even better service by contacting a tour operator directly.

Only my 2cent :)

• 4 weeks later...

I just booked with them a tour in Naples to Amalfi Coast. Their website was easy to use, but I had questions, therefore, called them on a toll free number. The lady I spoke to was very nice, she worked with me on the tour I was looking for and I booked it. My situation is that there are only 2 of us and private tours were too expensive. I didn't want to do a ship's tour and our roll call is dead (can't find anyone to share 8 people van). Basically, they were the only ones that I could find a prepaid tour for 2 of us without creating a group or trying to find 6 more people. I am in the wrong here?

OK, I called Viator on their toll free number and told them that I read some mixed reviews of their tours and I even checked the actual tour company they are using for my Amalfi Coast tour which also had mixed reviews. I concluded that it all depends who they send as a driver. Some folks are very happy with them and some aren't. Of course they said everyone's experience is different, but I asked them to send a note to the company and be sure they send someone with good English and personable. The rest depends on our luck. I just didn't have any choice because they were the only ones that offered a tour that's not private, yet 8 people max with the set price per person and I don't have to put a group together myself as our roll call is dead and I don't have any hope for anyone to join. Any other recommendations are welcome.

Why don't you use a local tour company rather then paying a double to Viator which is the third party, you have top pay also their commission as they won't work for free :confused:

I've used them for inspiration about where to go, what to do, same as I do with ship's tours. Then I browse the web looking for alternative sources & I often find the self-same tour offered by the operator.

Viator's prices are usually little more than booking direct, but often - such as for ho-ho's - they're the same, and sometimes they're actually a little cheaper;)

Same as using consolidators for hotels, airlines, car rentals etc.

This is because as well as anything they gouge from the customer they're using their scale to get big discounts from the operators.

There are more pro's than con's in booking direct, but price isn't always one of them. ;)

Edited by John Bull

I like trip advisor. If you look closely there is usually a link to the website. I have actually figured out some of the ship tours and the name of the operator because the description is exactly the same. But usually if they have a ship tour the private tours will not coincide with when the ship is in port. It's part of the contract. Another hint with Viator is if you research for a few days without booking, a ten percent coupon code will pop up. Always read the reviews and comments before booking.