Roma Termini to Civitivecchia via train

Jenna1983

We are sailing on Divina, which departs Civitivecchia at 19:00. We are spending two days prior in Rome, where we will be located very close to Termini, which is why we've decided to take the train.

There are trains going from Termini to Civitivecchia (is there another one we should be choosing an option for?) at the following times below- is there one you'd recommend over the other?

11:57-12:39

13:57-14:37

There are actually trains about every 30 minutes. You apparently are only looking at the more express trains. As it takes a while to get from the train station to the ship, either involving walking a mile and taking a shuttle, or taking a bus and then the shuttle, I would probably opt to get there before 2:30.

Don't be afraid of taking ANY of the trains, I'd just go when I was ready, get to the station and buy my ticket. No need to prepurchase.

The one benefit to the express trains is an assigned seat. When I'm traveling with luggage I like knowing that I've got a seat and that the train is capacity controlled. When I don't have stuff to worry about the regionals are fine but with stuff, well, I prefer the other trains.

Departing at 19:00 probably means an on-board time of around 17:30; given that I'd go for the later train.

There's also an IC train at 15:57, arriving at 16:45, that might work for you. It's a bit tight, however. If the train is on time you'd be fine but you don't have a lot of wiggle room if it's running late.

I think we'd rather get there earlier and just hit the ship a little bit, which is why I was looking at those two options. There are six of us and there's 2 for 1 deals right now, so the reserved express train fee is not bad. I would love to do the 13:57 train but we must leave our hotel by 11 so it makes sense to leave on the earlier. I could not stand the anxiety from my super anxiety driven parents on missing things to go that late! Lol

My other question is after the cruise returns to Civitivecchia we are heading to Florence. Any recommendation of time to book a train for?

Edited by Jenna1983

Be aware that at Termini, the walk to the platform/bin for the train to Civitavecchia (as well as FCO airport) can take a while from the front entrance. Allow extra time for the walk. Should you happen to be coming from Via Giovanni Giolitti, taking a side entrance will save some time (provided you already have tickets and know where you're going).

Happy Travels!!

My other question is after the cruise returns to Civitivecchia we are heading to Florence. Any recommendation of time to book a train for?

If you're not in a big hurry it's nice to have breakfast on the ship while those rushing to make planes race off. You can wait until they start pushing you off which, in my experience (I do this often), happens around 9 AM.

With six people I think it makes sense to pay for a car service to take you to Termini station in Rome. Divided among you it won't cost that much and it really does save a lot of hassle with luggage.

If the car service gets you at the ship at 9 AM you should be very safe with the 10:50 train that gets you to Florence at 12:22.

Be aware that at Termini, the walk to the platform/bin for the train to Civitavecchia (as well as FCO airport) can take a while from the front entrance. Allow extra time for the walk

This is true for the regional trains to Civitavecchia but not for the IC or Frecce trains which leave from the main track heads.

The airport train, the Leonardo Express, now leaves from the main trackhead as well. They leave from tracks 22 - 24, the last three tracks on the south side of the main station.

Termini station map here: http://www.romatermini.com/en/map/

Well it means it will cost each of you twice as much as if you had six, but only a third as much as if you were alone!

I would expect to pay about €150 for a car service. If that feels too steep you can get the train: you'll need to get from the ship to the port exit by shuttle bus, then either the public bus or walk one mile to the Civitavecchia train station.

• 3 weeks later...
This is true for the regional trains to Civitavecchia but not for the IC or Frecce trains which leave from the main track heads.

The airport train, the Leonardo Express, now leaves from the main trackhead as well. They leave from tracks 22 - 24, the last three tracks on the south side of the main station.

Termini station map here: http://www.romatermini.com/en/map/

Hello, we are doing just that...taking the Frecciabianca out of Termini on the just before noon departure (our hotel is also 5 min away). Do you know what track this train leaves Termini? Or does it change daily?

Thanks,Charles

We took the 11.57 Frecciabianca from Roma Termini to Civitavecchia when we cruised in June. Unfortunately, they will probably not post which platform it is arriving on until about 10 minutes before the train arrives.

I think this is virtually universal with the Freccia throughout Italy.

Having said that, we observed which platforms the trains were coming in on and predicted it would come in on Platform 8. However, we did not move there until the platform was posted. This could all change by the time you are there for your cruise though.

Hello, we are doing just that...taking the Frecciabianca out of Termini on the just before noon departure (our hotel is also 5 min away). Do you know what track this train leaves Termini? Or does it change daily?

The schedule and track assignments are posted months in advance. That said, they can and do change so it's important to check the signs trackside before boarding.

The 11:57 Frecciabiana (#35772/#9772) from Termini is scheduled to depart from track #22.

https://prm.rfi.it/qo_prm/QO_Partenze_SiPMR.aspx?Id=2247&dalle=11.00&alle=11.59&ora=11.00&guid=44e7adc3-999d-4479-baa7-d044fff4ee35

The schedule and track assignments are posted months in advance. That said, they can and do change so it's important to check the signs trackside before boarding.

The 11:57 Frecciabiana (#35772/#9772) from Termini is scheduled to depart from track #22.

https://prm.rfi.it/qo_prm/QO_Partenze_SiPMR.aspx?Id=2247&dalle=11.00&alle=11.59&ora=11.00&guid=44e7adc3-999d-4479-baa7-d044fff4ee35

Thank-you! Good to know... How do I know which car is 'Car 1' as I approach the train?

Thank-you! Good to know... How do I know which car is 'Car 1' as I approach the train?

Sorry for my ignorance again., but when I look at the schedule, I can see the 11:57 Frecciabianca with a destination of 'Milano Central' with its first stop at Civitavecchia. When I look at the 'board' at the train station, will I be looking out for the Frecciabianca 9772 with a destination to Milano Centrale?

Thanks Again!

There are signs along the platform indicating the car numbers, and signs with the numbers of each car at the doors. It would be a challenge to not see what car is which, trust me :D.

Sorry for my ignorance again., but when I look at the schedule, I can see the 11:57 Frecciabianca with a destination of 'Milano Central' with its first stop at Civitavecchia. When I look at the 'board' at the train station, will I be looking out for the Frecciabianca 9772 with a destination to Milano Centrale?

Thanks Again!

Yes.

Thank youu for posting that schedule with the platforms that the trains depart from. My next trip to Italy will be easier because of this!

Just remember that a schedule is just a plan, and plans can and do change. Always double check on the big board as well as the trackside signs before boarding the train.

Just remember that a schedule is just a plan, and plans can and do change. Always double check on the big board as well as the trackside signs before boarding the train.

What do the trackside signs say?