Mayan Ruins Tour

GalCruzer

We are going on the Carnival Ecstasy in February. One of the stops are in Cozumel Mexico. We are looking to get a good tour of the Mayan Ruins. They offer a few off the Carnival site, such as; Mayan Ruins of Tulum, Ancient Culture/Mayan Ruins & Island Sightseeing, Coba Maya Ruins and Mayan Ruins & Beach.

Hoping someone has been on some of these, if not all, to tell me which ones are better to get a good tour of the Mayan Ruins. We have never been to Mexico and want to make the most of this visit to the ruins.

And also are these a long ride from the ship?

TIA :)

Edited by GalCruzer

We've done Tulum and Xunantunich, but not sure if that one is offered. We liked Tulum. It's not that lengthy of a tour and there are numerous ruins though none are huge like Xunantunich and you can't climb them. At least you couldn't when we were there. We found the Tulum tour informative, loved the beach and got really beautiful pictures. Would definitely recommend bug spray though.

We've done Tulum and Coba. I would pick Tulum hands down. It's absolutely gorgeous right there on the beach.

Coba was still interesting, but the main drawback is that it hasn't been excavated very well. So you just have a pile of rocks overgrown with jungle, and you have to use your imagination to see it as a temple, etc.

I wouldn't do Coba again, but I'd book Tulum a second time in a heartbeat!

Tulum is GREAT, but be aware there's a lot of Travel time. From Cozumel you take a 45 minute ferry to the mainland, which is often VERY choppy ride. Then you motorcoach for 30 or 40 minutes, usually stopping for 15 minutes or so at a "Gift shop". At Tulum there are some eateries and such, and a shuttle (extra) to the ruins. We toured with group then had an hour or so of free time to explored or shop or go to the beach at bottom of the cliffs. Same saga for the return trip, except no strop. A LONG 7 hour day. ken

The ruins in an all day excursion. you will spend quite a bit of time on transportation.

Ferry to Playa. Bus to the ruins..

it takes 2 hours to get there- 2 hours to get back

there is a stop midway on your way there== do not purchase stuff here as you can buy it at the pier for a LOT less money

Tulum is a FULL day. The only one we've done but would do it again. The scenery was excellent. I didn't find the beach much and we were there for the ruins. I have mobility issues and managed to walk it. The only downer was running the gauntlet of shops and sales people at the end before reaching the buses.

Great tips, good and useful info!

So of the ones mentioned, it seems Tulum is the winner. Thank you for the travel time detail as well as possible weather conditions that could occur. So based on that, I will put more thought into whether or not we will do this particular one.

We were also thinking of doing Ancient Culture/Mayan Ruins including sightseeing, which seems to be in San Gervasio. It seems to be shorter travel time and it is only motorcoach, which is better for me.

But will certainly keep in mind to bring the bug spray and buying souvenirs at the pier rather than any stops, no matter where we go.

Great tips, good and useful info!

So of the ones mentioned, it seems Tulum is the winner. Thank you for the travel time detail as well as possible weather conditions that could occur. So based on that, I will put more thought into whether or not we will do this particular one.

We were also thinking of doing Ancient Culture/Mayan Ruins including sightseeing, which seems to be in San Gervasio. It seems to be shorter travel time and it is only motorcoach, which is better for me.

But will certainly keep in mind to bring the bug spray and buying souvenirs at the pier rather than any stops, no matter where we go.

You can get some great items at great prices (with some negotiation) at the ruins or the little shops the tour may stop at. I'd rather shop there than the touristy shops at the pier. Much more authentic (although they are probably ALL made in Taiwan ;)). You can use US$ so take lots of smaller bills if you plan to purchase.

I LOVE Coba, but would not do it from the ship. It would be way too long of a day! You can still climb the large pyramid there and the views above the jungle are awesome. There are lots of excavated buildings/ruins/ball courts/ etc. at Coba. We spent 3 hrs there and didn't see it all. I much prefer the rustic Coba to Tulum, which looks like a museum (and no touchy-touchy), vs. Coba which is set back in the jungle and very authentic.

Tulum is OK. My least favorite of the mainland ruins. Just too touristy, but to each his own. Different people like different things.

OK. Another good tip. Because even though I would never use my credit card there, it is a good idea to have small bills on me.

Thank you

Very important because the vendors "don't have any change" :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• 8 months later...

For those of you who have did a ship excursion to Tulum, can you please help me with a few questions. We will be on the Splendor in December and will be doing the ships Tulum tour, can you tell me if the cost for the excursion includes the ferry ride to PLAYA DEL CARMEN? And did the cost for the excursion get you to the ferry site, or did you have to pay for a cab from the ship to the ferry site in Cozumel? Thank you to all of thoses who can help .

Edited by DEBBIE 275

For those of you who have did a ship excursion to Tulum, can you please help me with a few questions. We will be on the Splendor in December and will be doing the ships Tulum tour, can you tell me if the cost for the excursion includes the ferry ride to PLAYA DEL CARMEN? And did the cost for the excursion get you to the ferry site, or did you have to pay for a cab from the ship to the ferry site in Cozumel? Thank you to all of thoses who can help .

IF you are doing the ship excursion you leave from the ship on the ferry. the price includes your transportation. Including the bus when you get over to Playa.

IF you want to shop when the ferry brings you back you will be paying the cab to get you back. (but can tell you there will be very limited time for shopping.

This is an all day exursion and the only way to do it is through the cruiselines as you know you will make it back to the ship.

You spend a considerable amount of time on transportation between the ferry -30- 40 minutes. the bus ride which is another 60-90 minutes. The bus stops at some soverneir store. Dont buy stuff as this is VERY expensive and you can find the stuff at the pier when you get back.

When you get on the SPlendor could you find Chloe (assistant cruise director) and give her a hug from my grand daughter Jada.

Edited by serene56