Has anyone embarked at the 2nd port

We're booked on the Koningsdam for 24 day Mediterranean Cruise. The cruise departs from Amsterdam but we have the option to embark in Portland UK.

It will mean missing Amsterdam and one full day at sea (2 nights on board), but as we will be staying near Portland at the time it's really convenient.

So, weighing up the convenience and cost saving of Portland, vs. missing some of our precious cruise. What do you think?

We're booked on the Koningsdam for 24 day Mediterranean Cruise. The cruise departs from Amsterdam but we have the option to embark in Portland UK.

It will mean missing Amsterdam and one full day at sea (2 nights on board), but as we will be staying near Portland at the time it's really convenient.

So, weighing up the convenience and cost saving of Portland, vs. missing some of our precious cruise. What do you think?

I would see if HAL will allow it first. The flights from Amsterdam to the UK are relatively cheap but you would lose two or so days getting back. I wouldn't expect much of a refund if they allow it. Good luck.:D

I would see if HAL will allow it first. The flights from Amsterdam to the UK are relatively cheap but you would lose two or so days getting back. I wouldn't expect much of a refund if they allow it. Good luck.:D

Already have permit from HAL. No reduction in fare.

We'd need a couple of nights in a hotel to see Amsterdam, so we'd perhaps be up for $1000.

Already have permit from HAL. No reduction in fare.

We'd need a couple of nights in a hotel to see Amsterdam, so we'd perhaps be up for $1000.

Well, I suppose if you have permission, then there is nothing stopping you.

If you plan on spending time in Amsterdam prior to the cruise, I would board the ship in Amsterdam, however, if not, I would be tempted to just board at Portland, UK, as you will be staying near there, for the convenience. You will still be on board for 22 days.

If you want to see Amsterdam and are prepared to spend the extra money then I'd recommend you do that. It's an interesting city and quite different to anything in Australia. I'd also suggest doing a tour outside of the city, especially one that visits a working windmill. It's fascinating seeing the fields below road and sea level. The Rijksmuseum and the Van Gogh museum are worth visiting.

However if you've already been to Amsterdam, or don't particularly want to go here, then save your money and board at Portland.

Portland must be a new port of call for cruise ships. I have not heard of cruise ships calling there before.'

Where abouts in Portland do they, or indeed , can they dock?

http://portland-port.co.uk/cruise

portland england cruise port

This shows the attractions close to Portland, which looks like a lovely port to visit.

Edited by MMDown Under

http://portland-port.co.uk/cruise

portland england cruise port

This shows the attractions close to Portland, which looks like a lovely port to visit.

Yes . I have now checked it out and agree, a fascinating port of call and a wonderful area of the English South Coast to visit,

2 things

*Top marks to HAL for opening up new ports of call.They seem to lead the way in this field....ie in Au/NZ they were the first to call at Burnie, Eden(?), Oban ,New Plymouth etc.

* After posting that I did not know much about the area , I turned on the tele and caught the start of a programme called A Walking History of Britain and the episode was all about Weymouth , Portland and the Dorset Coast and the crucial roll it played in WW II. Amazing history in the area.

Yes . I have now checked it out and agree, a fascinating port of call and a wonderful area of the English South Coast to visit,

2 things

*Top marks to HAL for opening up new ports of call.They seem to lead the way in this field....ie in Au/NZ they were the first to call at Burnie, Eden(?), Oban ,New Plymouth etc.

* After posting that I did not know much about the area , I turned on the tele and caught the start of a programme called A Walking History of Britain and the episode was all about Weymouth , Portland and the Dorset Coast and the crucial roll it played in WW II. Amazing history in the area.

Weymouth was also George III favourite holiday destination.

He and his family were frequent visitors and he was often found having a swim or simply strolling down the street.

alm07b.jpg

Isn't it funny how one thing leads to another...:rolleyes:

I have friends on their way to Britain via Amsterdam and they have just sent a pic from the window of the Ibis Central Hotel where they are enjoying a stopover for a couple of days.Looks like a handy location.Great view of the cruise ships.:)

alm07b.jpg

Isn't it funny how one thing leads to another...:rolleyes:

I have friends on their way to Britain via Amsterdam and they have just sent a pic from the window of the Ibis Central Hotel where they are enjoying a stopover for a couple of days.Looks like a handy location.Great view of the cruise ships.:)

Thanks David.

Noting the train, I wonder if you can get a train from the Airport to the Port? Ibis Central Hotel would be a handy place to stay for cruisers.