Boat from Valdez

jucaha

Can anyone give me insider info on the boat ride from Valez to the ship in Whittier? We will be on the "Off the Beaten Track" land portion first, and will be transported to the ship via a catamaran. Will there be views to be had...or is it a boring ride? What time do you usually arrive at the ship? Before the buses begin to arrive? Does Princess handle your luggage when moving between lodges and the ship?

Any/all input is greatly appreciated!!

People coming in on the train or buses get a tunnel at the end of the transfer (although the sound area before that is pretty neat). You will be coming across College Fjord. Most of the glaciers are farther northeast, but the mountains are spectacular and you could see whales and sea lions. Pull up Google Earth and look at the path you need to take between Valdez and Whittier to get an idea of what you pass.

Do you also have time in Valdez? At the least, the Museum is excellent to take advantage of.

It sounds like you are on the fast ferry and not the "regular" one? This leaves at 11:15a. What I don't care for is the speed :) The regular ferry is much slower with a lot of time for sight seeing, even with some diversions, I've experienced. it is an extremely scenic route.

The Princess buses arrive continuously. You may have to wait? You arrive at 2p so shouldn't be too bad.

Actually, the run to Valdez is often handled by Major Marine. In fact, my wife knows one of the captains that runs it. It's often the M/V Fairweather Express which is a smaller catamaran.

Actually, the run to Valdez is often handled by Major Marine. In fact, my wife knows one of the captains that runs it. It's often the M/V Fairweather Express which is a smaller catamaran.

I've only taken the the "slow" Alaska State ferries. :) I saw the Fairweather last year.

I've only taken the the "slow" Alaska State ferries. :) I saw the Fairweather last year.

I love the slower ferry that crosses Prince William Sound. That's the AURORA. The newer ships like the FAIRWEATHER and the CHENEGA don't have much personality to them. They look like floating shoeboxes :)

Edited by Chenega

I love the fast ones...similar to the big catamarans they have in Europe...on the big blue canoe, they usually have a naturalist aboard...on either the fast or the slow one....ask...I think it is a very special trip.....

Yes, there has always been a naturalist on board which I've taken the "regular" ferry.

As a visitor, having a slower transit, really affords more opportunity for scenic sailing. I've even had short detours on the ferry, one time for a beautiful Columbia glacier, iceberg look. Other times, a few minutes on a humpback, sea otters when leaving Valdez. :)