Maho Beach

Terre

And wasn't that extension into the lagoon,rather than at the Maho Beach end? I've been flying in and out of SXM for a number of years and am pretty certain that there has not been any extension at that end.

As just noted, the runway has been extended to provide for a required Runway End Safety Area, RESA.

This work was done on the Lagoon end of the runway, which was extended 490 feet, requiring extensive lagoon filling and a rerouting of Airport Road.

gary

when!!!!:d

It's been a long process.

I want to say they started filling the lagoon in 2005?

Daily Herald article about re-routing road and RESA here.

The RESA is set to be completed by early 2011.

And then in 2012, this story.

With the sub-headline of:

~ Works expected to be completed in October 2013 ~

"The project also includes the implementation of the required Runway End Safety Area (RESA) to the West," Breell explained. "The runway threshold will be shifted 70 metres to the East to accommodate the RESA.

And in November 2013, this story.

Overall, the completion date of the project has been adjusted to the first quarter of 2014,

And then in May, 2014, this story

A runway end safety area (RESA) also was implemented, as well as modification of the taxiway to "allow larger commercial aircraft to have better access to the ramps and shorten the backtracking on the runway prior to take off,"

Island time, you know. :)

gary

I would check Joyce's Maho page on Thursday, the 22nd, one week ahead of your visit, to get a good idea of what the schedule will look like.

Be sure to look at the different time periods for the schedule that they offer.

gary

Thanks for introducing me to that website Gary. Not one I had come across and it's very informative.

That flight info is taken from Flightstats.com and this link will take you direct to the site where details for 22nd are already available. Full details for 29th should be there from 26th.

Same proviso to check both arrivals and departures and different time periods.

Enjoy yourvisit NR CRUISERS. I can't wait for April!

• 2 weeks later...
It's been about a month since the last "on the sand" status report.

Has anyone been there recently and care to comment on the current sand

(or lack thereof) situation?

Thanks!

We were at Maho last week and the sand is slowly coming back. Still not enough sand for beach chairs & umbrellas. If you walk further down the beach, there was plenty of room to lay out beach towels. The water was surprisingly calm & delightful. We arrived around 2 pm to see KLM take off & Air France land. We're going back to Maho next week & will give another update.

Edit, sorry my pictures did not show up, totally forgot how to attach pictures with my IPhone :(

Edited by Life is Good Cruising

It's been about a month since the last "on the sand" status report.

Has anyone been there recently and care to comment on the current sand

(or lack thereof) situation?

Thanks!

We were there Wednesday and there was plenty of room for beach towels. We walked all th way down to the other side of the Beach (opposite the bar) and had more than enough room to lay out. The sea was great once you were about five feet out but extremely strong for the first few feet out.

We were at Maho last week and the sand is slowly coming back. Still not enough sand for beach chairs & umbrellas. If you walk further down the beach, there was plenty of room to lay out beach towels. The water was surprisingly calm & delightful. We arrived around 2 pm to see KLM take off & Air France land. We're going back to Maho next week & will give another update.

Edit, sorry my pictures did not show up, totally forgot how to attach pictures with my IPhone :(

We were there Wednesday and there was plenty of room for beach towels. We walked all th way down to the other side of the Beach (opposite the bar) and had more than enough room to lay out. The sea was great once you were about five feet out but extremely strong for the first few feet out.

:)

Thanks guys. I'm happy the beach is back and my bucket list goal is still attainable.