Fun family friendly places to stop between northern CT and Baltimore?

aflyingbuttress

We're driving from northern CT, right up near the MA border, to Baltimore for our Pride cruise in 2 weeks. We're doing the drive in one day and estimate it'll be about 6 hours minimum. We're driving with a 3 year old so I'd like to plan a few strategic stops along the way to get her out of the car and moving around a bit.

Does anyone know of place with a playground or place to walk around safely? Any good restaurants we should target? Or something fun we can do for a couple of hours?

Thanks in advance.

We're driving from northern CT, right up near the MA border, to Baltimore for our Pride cruise in 2 weeks. We're doing the drive in one day and estimate it'll be about 6 hours minimum. We're driving with a 3 year old so I'd like to plan a few strategic stops along the way to get her out of the car and moving around a bit.

Does anyone know of place with a playground or place to walk around safely? Any good restaurants we should target? Or something fun we can do for a couple of hours?

Thanks in advance.

What route are you taking through CT? Where in Mass are you close to? What day of the week are you doing this?

We are right at the northern edge of CT. The MA border is in my backyard. We are pretty much right at the center of the state (easy to west), about 15 min south of Springfield, MA.

I have not 100% settled on a route yet but probably something g along the lines of 91 to 84 to 81?? That's my best guess looking at the map. We will travel down south through the center of CT and then probably cut to the west a but once we get to more congested areas and avoid the westchester area of NY and more coastal areas of NJ. Might also avoid the philly area too.

I figured o would plan a little based on some good places to stop. I'm ok if the overall drive takes a bit longer so that we can get out of the car and let my daughter get some energy out.

We went to the Garden State children's museum in Cherry Hill, NJ on our way. The kids, between ages 1-10, had a blast. There's also a Please Touch museum in Philly.

The youngest of our group did pick up an unfortunate souvenir (hand, foot, mouth disease) from the children's museum though that can happen anytime, anywhere.

If you're coming down 91 from Springfield to connect with either 84 in Hartford, 95 in New Haven or taking the Merritt/Wilbur cross Pkwy south, you'd go through Hartford. The Mark Twain House/Harriet Beecher Stowe House is a nice stop, as is the Science Center or the WAdsworth Atheneum in Hartford. At any, you wouldn't need more than a couple of hours. Check out any/all on line for more info. HOwever, if you're coming from Springfield-ish, Hartford is little more than a 1/2 hr into your journey.

Edited by marco

Have to plug it because I'm involved there you can spend as little as an hour.

Shore Line Trolley Museum East Haven CT, exit 51 off of I95 Northbound.

Probably a little too close to home for a break.Don't blame me for the shameless plug :D http://shorelinetrolley.org/

No shame in plugging! I was a museum educator for over a decade (recent career change). I totally get it. In fact, I used to work at the NY transit museum. Cool stuff!

That does sound like a fun stop! My daughter would probably love it. There's also a trolley museum in east Windsor, which you're probably familiar with.

If you're coming down 91 from Springfield to connect with either 84 in Hartford, 95 in New Haven or taking the Merritt/Wilbur cross Pkwy south, you'd go through Hartford. The Mark Twain House/Harriet Beecher Stowe House is a nice stop, as is the Science Center or the WAdsworth Atheneum in Hartford. At any, you wouldn't need more than a couple of hours. Check out any/all on line for more info. HOwever, if you're coming from Springfield-ish, Hartford is little more than a 1/2 hr into your journey.

Also great idea. But you are right, it's only about 20 min from us so probably a bit too soon in th drive to stop.