Vancouver Private Vehicle Transfers

Keith1010

I am looking for recommendations for a private vehicle service to get from the Vancouver International Airport to a downtown hotel near the waterfront.

We are not interested in public transportation nor a shared shuttle.

Prefer to be driven in a SUV or a Large Town Car type of vehicle.

Thanks,

Keith

In that case you're looking at Aerocar, or spending more cash and risking a no-show from someone else: they have the exclusive franchise for all walkup fares at YVR; no other company is allowed to provide car service without a pre-booked fare and even then they're allowed to wait in designated taxi/limo pickup areas so you'll probably have to do a 'call from the front door and wait five-ten minutes' as well as paying more than to Aerocar.

Fixed rates are on the link I posted above - also subject to 5% tax plus gratuity. If you want to the Meet & Greet at Arrivals it's an extra $50 with 60mins wait-time included if you are delayed, but really it's as fast or faster to walk out and get in a car at the waiting area - if you need help with baggage, porters are a lot less than $50...

We've taken Aerocar occasionally when we're feeling fancy and the cars all seem to be in good condition, mostly towncars which are very generous for two or three people (might get a little tight for trunk space if there's four of you with a lot of luggage) but they have 6pax SUVs and 8pax limos too.

Edit: depending on exactly which hotel, you'll be looking at the Canada Place or Downtown/Kits rates - probably the former if it is right on the waterfront e.g. Pan Pacific, Fairmont Pac Rim or Waterfront.

Edited by martincath
hotel location

Curses to that edit time limit - missing a crucial NOT in the first para! Limos other than Aerocar are NOT allowed to wait on-site makes much more sense... and since I forgot to mention before, every other company has to charge by the hour, minimum 1 hour, min $75 sedan/$90 6-7pax/$110 8pax+ even though your trip will rarely be much more than 30mins.

We saw the signs and rates posted for Aerocar to the right when we exited the terminal recently...we opted for the general taxi line to the left...but saw how easily Aerocar could be done.

• 2 weeks later...

To get the posted flat rate that was provide earlier, you need to walk up to the dispatcher at the Aerocar kiosk just outside the international arrivals area and have the dispatcher call up a limo for you. There are lots of limos available 24/7 so there is no concern there.....but if you reserve a limo are into completely different pricing.

To get the posted flat rate that was provide earlier, you need to walk up to the dispatcher at the Aerocar kiosk just outside the international arrivals area and have the dispatcher call up a limo for you. There are lots of limos available 24/7 so there is no concern there.....but if you reserve a limo are into completely different pricing.

Interesting that the price is different. I've used the limo service a couple of times. You walk out the only way you can go and there they are. I had one limo with my DD and DGS. It was late and we were tired. He got us there in record time. It is possible that laws were broken. We laughed so hard getting there, no car seat (oops). I highly recommend their services. Funny though. The guy told us that if we needed a ride back to YVR to call him directly. I guess he liked us.

We will be using the service next month. For a few extra dollars you get can a stretch limo. Not that it is needed but sometimes it is just a fun thing to do.

• 2 weeks later...
Either you owe them a lot of money or you are a big tipper.;)

I always owe them. They watch over my mother's house with not a single thank you from her. If something needs repair they do it, with my money, of course. I am bringing them cheese from England (where her relatives are from) as an "I love you" gift.

By the way - I love you too Putterdude.

• 2 weeks later...

Well this is how my rental days worked. I got off the plane and went directly to Alamo rental. I was upgraded to a mini van - a Chrysler that was huge. We turned it in around noon on Sunday and my uncle/aunt drove us to the pier. I was very excited to be able to have priority boarding with my first suite.

We take the big suitcases out of the car and hand them over to the longshoreman. He reminds us to keep our passports out. Everyone looks at me as I am the carrier of the important stuff. I blink a few times like the Lemming I am. He mentions it again. I blink again. And again.

I go into the line area and look for a rep who can call Alamo and see if they are still safely on the back seat of said mini van. No, they have found the wallet and it is being held in their safe at YVR.

My relatives drive me back to the airport. In fairness they had to head that way anyway since they live in White Rock. Right? Okay, never mind.

So I get my wallet and head up to the sky train that has been recommended. Thankfully there is a guy there telling everyone what to do and where to go. I figured $4.50 in coins was enough but low and behold you are charged and additional $5 for the pleasure of leaving the airport location. So my fare is $7.50. Look, look, it is coming. Take my money and give me my ticket quickly.

I get on. I get off and walk to the pier. Truthfully if you don't have a lot of luggage it is a breeze. Both my DH and I have mobility issues so would not have been easy. HOWEVER, I got there quickly and DH is sitting waiting.

The line is gone and we walk right up to the front. Go, go, they say. Fill in the health paper at the counter (since they have taken down the tables). The metal detectors caught my knife. We had to be x-rayed for about 7 minutes. Weird, now that we've gone through all our carry ons, messed up everything you don't have a knife. Okay, you can go.

Heavy sigh. So, now I got to do both. When I tell this story in the future it will not be me leaving the wallet on the back seat. It will be that I was already missing spending time with my relatives so I did it on purpose.

Edited by notentirelynormal

• 8 months later...

I wanted to thank those of you who recommended Aerocar Service.

We arrived to Vancouver yesterday and used their service.

Their outdoor counter was easy to find and we waited about 15 minutes for the vehicle to arrive.

The driver was polite, the vehicle was a nice size and the cost was very reasonable.

Keith