Excursions Booked! (Plus some small questions)

Thranduilien

Thank you so much to everyone that has helped me get to this point!

We leave May 29th 2016 from Vancouver. So far we have...

Ketchikan/May 31st - Wilderness Exploration and Crab Feast

The boat arrives at 7am, leaves at 3pm. The excursion is 4 hours, starting at 9am. Would I have enough time to go up to Creek Street and look around? Or should I stay closer to the ship? (I'm not worried about missing Creek Street as we have another day at the end of the trip)

Juneau/June 1st - Tracy Arm Fjord and Glacier Explorer

Glacier Bay/ June 3rd

Seward/June 5th - Kenai Fjords National Park Cruise

Haines/June 8th - Haines Whales and Lighthouse Tales

All excursions have been booked through HAL and I am SO excited, I'm almost giddy every time I think of this. Buuuut... I admit I'm a little 'concerned' and 'worried' that these are not excursions that I am hopeful to see whales on. I'm sure I will love everything I do and everything I see but I'm curious as to what you all think of my chances of seeing whales?

I'm also really looking forward to getting an Ulu and a bowl/cutting board and I'm curious if anyone here has a place they suggest I look? So far I know there is Fish Creek Company in Ketchikan but I'm wondering if there is a better place or just somewhere else I should look. I'm not looking for something really expensive as I would like to use it. (Also any other stores you guys loved shopping at I would really enjoy knowing about. I have two young nephews that I want to pick up something small for. 5 and 2years)

(I know I can ask on HAL boards but I don't feel this is worth a separate post) I also have the signature beverage package with HAL. I've read it so many times but I'm still just a little confused... The 15% gratuity... Is that included or is it charged to my account and I pay it at the end of the trip?

The boat arrives at 7am, leaves at 3pm. The excursion is 4 hours, starting at 9am. Would I have enough time to go up to Creek Street and look around? Or should I stay closer to the ship? (I'm not worried about missing Creek Street as we have another day at the end of the trip)

Glacier Bay/ June 3rd

All excursions have been booked through HAL and I am SO excited, I'm almost giddy every time I think of this. Buuuut... I admit I'm a little 'concerned' and 'worried' that these are not excursions that I am hopeful to see whales on. I'm sure I will love everything I do and everything I see but I'm curious as to what you all think of my chances of seeing whales?

I'm also really looking forward to getting an Ulu and a bowl/cutting board and I'm curious if anyone here has a place they suggest I look? So far I know there is Fish Creek Company in Ketchikan but I'm wondering if there is a better place or just somewhere else I should look. I'm not looking for something really expensive as I would like to use it. (Also any other stores you guys loved shopping at I would really enjoy knowing about. I have two young nephews that I want to pick up something small for. 5 and 2years)

(I know I can ask on HAL boards but I don't feel this is worth a separate post) I also have the signature beverage package with HAL. I've read it so many times but I'm still just a little confused... The 15% gratuity... Is that included or is it charged to my account and I pay it at the end of the trip?

Unless you are docked at the farthest dock from downtown, you should have time to stroll over to Creek Street that will be withing sight of the ship.

The best place to see whales is Auke Bay in Juneau but you might see whales anytime on your cruse so keep watch with your binoculars.

Best and largest shopping in Ketchikan is Tongass Trading Company. Unless you are the farthest dock, you will be within a five-minute walk to the Tongass Trading Company. The bottom floor is filled with tourist stuff while the top floor is for outfitting/locals. Ulus will be cheaper upstairs but without an Alaska logo. You can visit Tongass on line.

HAL SBP does NOT include the 15% Service Charge but it will be billed to your stateroom.

Edited by Crew News

We leave May 29th 2016 from Vancouver.

I admit I'm a little 'concerned' and 'worried' that these are not excursions that I am hopeful to see whales on. I'm sure I will love everything I do and everything I see but I'm curious as to what you all think of my chances of seeing whales?

I'm also really looking forward to getting an Ulu and a bowl/cutting board and I'm curious if anyone here has a place they suggest I look?

Thoughts....

• Whale hunters may also want to check out the aquarium in Vancouver's Stanley Park for beluga's. http://www.vanaqua.org/
  • Be prepared to be searched when returning to the ship.... they are looking for ULU's.

1. You have plenty time to visit creek street - it is within walking distance of most of the ships & depending on how many shops you visit/how long you linger, can be done in an hour.

Edited by TheCalicoCat

I copied this from the terms and conditions on the HAL website:

The Signature Beverage Package value of US$1,400 is based on a 14 day cruise and has a daily limit of 15 beverages, which includes all beverages priced $8.00USD or lower including service charges.

To mee that includes the 15% gratuity.

Glacier Bay/ June 3rd

I am puzzled by your Juneau day. Don't you still have time in Juneau, with the Tracy Arm tour? Is Tracy Arm noted on your itinerary? If it is, you should also have time for a whale watch out of Juneau.

In June, you can see humpbacks out by the Lynn Canal, but you will also be on a fairly "fixed" route since you will be going to the Eldred Rock Lighthouse. ( I would assume- is it listed?)

Edited by Budget Queen

I copied this from the terms and conditions on the HAL website:

The Signature Beverage Package value of US$1,400 is based on a 14 day cruise and has a daily limit of 15 beverages, which includes all beverages priced $8.00USD or lower including service charges.

To mee that includes the 15% gratuity.

If you notice the two dots after "15 beverages.." indicates that there is additional information. The HAL website for some reason does not complete the paragraph. Below is what I copied while the full paragraph was visible.

"select from a variety of wine, beer, spirits, cocktails (including non-alcoholic),sodas and coffee. Includes any beverage priced at a $8.00 or lower menu price. Up to 15 beverages per day. * Prices are per day; Signature Beverage Package for

$44.95* per day, per person a 15% service charge is not included and will be automatically applied to your purchase. The package must be purchased for the entire duration of the voyage. Up to a 15-drink maximum per day. All adults over 21 years old booked in the same stateroom must also

purchase the package. Participants may order only one drink at a time. No sharing is permitted. Excludes Mini Bar, In-Room Dining, & beverages on Half Moon Cay. Packages are not transferable or refundable"

Edited by Crew News

If you notice the two dots after "15 beverages.." indicates that there is additional information. The HAL website for some reason does not complete the paragraph. Below is what I copied while the full paragraph was visible.

"select from a variety of wine, beer, spirits, cocktails (including non-alcoholic),sodas and coffee. Includes any beverage priced at a $8.00 or lower menu price. Up to 15 beverages per day. * Prices are per day; Signature Beverage Package for

$44.95* per day, per person a 15% service charge is not included and will be automatically applied to your purchase. The package must be purchased for the entire duration of the voyage. Up to a 15-drink maximum per day. All adults over 21 years old booked in the same stateroom must also

purchase the package. Participants may order only one drink at a time. No sharing is permitted. Excludes Mini Bar, In-Room Dining, & beverages on Half Moon Cay. Packages are not transferable or refundable"

Thanks for sharing the extra information. I was considering this package (assuming that it covered the service charge) now I am reconsidering...

I am puzzled by your Juneau day. Don't you still have time in Juneau, with the Tracy Arm tour? Is Tracy Arm noted on your itinerary? If it is, you should also have time for a whale watch out of Juneau.

In June, you can see humpbacks out by the Lynn Canal, but you will also be on a fairly "fixed" route since you will be going to the Eldred Rock Lighthouse. ( I would assume- is it listed?)

Not really, no...

We get to Juneau at 10, our Tracy Arm excursion leaves at 10:15 and that is 7 hours. So we would be back at 5:15, the evening whale watch leaves at 5:45. In my opinion that is pushing it awfully close, especially since I would want to grab something to eat between the trips. It is a lot to do in one day without dinner.

Rereading the Haines trip because of your words.... I'm feeling a little more calm about the thing. It is SUCH a wealth of information that things begin to blur a little bit and for some reason I was thinking it was more about the Lighthouse than it was about the whales.

I think if I stand a good chance of seeing whales there (and perhaps in other places) I will leave my excursions as is. If, on the off chance I do not see whales, perhaps I will book a whale trip on board (if seats be left) for our 2nd stop in Juneau.

Or who knows, maybe I'll just have to save up until I can go back!

Hi Thranduilien,

We will be on the same cruise as you for the northbound leg. This is my first cruise too and I just wanted to thank you for all the questions you have been posting as they have mainly answered some of the questions I had too.

I already booked some excursions myself as I was worried the more popular ones would sell out, most with HAL as being my first cruise I was worried about all the logistics and stories of being left behind, etc. but after extensive reading on CC, I decided to be 'brave' and booked with Dyea Dave for Skagway!

It's nice to have excursions booked, I think it adds to the excitement :)

Hi Thranduilien,

We will be on the same cruise as you for the northbound leg. This is my first cruise too and I just wanted to thank you for all the questions you have been posting as they have mainly answered some of the questions I had too.

I already booked some excursions myself as I was worried the more popular ones would sell out, most with HAL as being my first cruise I was worried about all the logistics and stories of being left behind, etc. but after extensive reading on CC, I decided to be 'brave' and booked with Dyea Dave for Skagway!

It's nice to have excursions booked, I think it adds to the excitement :)

I'm so glad some of my questions have helped someone else, and a shipmate no less! Maybe I'll see you and yours on the boat :)

For myself a lot of things contributed to booking only through the trip. (Going with my grandmother who will be 85, my grandmother is actually paying so we'll book the way she wants, and I've never traveled anywhere myself, plus I have anxieties) But I've looked at a lot of other private excursions and some of them look SO good, they seem so interesting, different AND at a good price point.

May I ask what excursions you've settled on? I was so worried that the ones I booked would be full, but in all honesty I've no idea what ones are the popular ones. Alaska just seems to be extremely popular, so full ships make me think a lot of excursions will book really quickly.

Congrats on being brave!

Not really, no...

We get to Juneau at 10, our Tracy Arm excursion leaves at 10:15 and that is 7 hours. So we would be back at 5:15, the evening whale watch leaves at 5:45. In my opinion that is pushing it awfully close, especially since I would want to grab something to eat between the trips. It is a lot to do in one day without dinner.

Rereading the Haines trip because of your words.... I'm feeling a little more calm about the thing. It is SUCH a wealth of information that things begin to blur a little bit and for some reason I was thinking it was more about the Lighthouse than it was about the whales.

I think if I stand a good chance of seeing whales there (and perhaps in other places) I will leave my excursions as is. If, on the off chance I do not see whales, perhaps I will book a whale trip on board (if seats be left) for our 2nd stop in Juneau.

Or who knows, maybe I'll just have to save up until I can go back!

In my opinion, superior is Adventure Bound for Tracy Arm- which is 10 hours. 7 hours sees so much less and conditions have to be more ideal. There is no time for lingering at anything interesting. You are going at a good time, however for those better conditions.

In June you should have an opportunity to see some humpbacks out of Skagway with your tour. You won't have ideal whale watching time, because of your fixed route to the lighthouse.

Glacier Bay/ June 3rd

According to the Cruise Line Agencies of Alaska, your ship is scheduled to dock, at berth two in Ketchikan. That will allow lots of time to get to explore Ketchikan and its Creek street. I have been twice, and love Ketchikan!

In my opinion, superior is Adventure Bound for Tracy Arm- which is 10 hours. 7 hours sees so much less and conditions have to be more ideal. There is no time for lingering at anything interesting. You are going at a good time, however for those better conditions.

In June you should have an opportunity to see some humpbacks out of Skagway with your tour. You won't have ideal whale watching time, because of your fixed route to the lighthouse.

Based on your recommendations on other threads, I looked at Adventure Bound for Tracy Arm, but from what I could make out the ship doesn't dock early enough for their tours which depart at 7:30 and 7:45

It was thanks to your advice I booked Dyea Dave, so thanks for your helpful contributions :)

I'm so glad some of my questions have helped someone else, and a shipmate no less! Maybe I'll see you and yours on the boat :)

For myself a lot of things contributed to booking only through the trip. (Going with my grandmother who will be 85, my grandmother is actually paying so we'll book the way she wants, and I've never traveled anywhere myself, plus I have anxieties) But I've looked at a lot of other private excursions and some of them look SO good, they seem so interesting, different AND at a good price point.

May I ask what excursions you've settled on? I was so worried that the ones I booked would be full, but in all honesty I've no idea what ones are the popular ones. Alaska just seems to be extremely popular, so full ships make me think a lot of excursions will book really quickly.

Congrats on being brave!

Well we've booked Tracy Arm with HAL which is with Allen Marine, so we'll definitely see each other on that one! I also booked the Kenai Fjords Tour in Seward and will be transferring on to Anchorage after that. Out of Skagway I mentioned Emerald Lake by bus and train back, and for Ketchikan we're struggling with booking the Misty Fjords cruise or something else. I wouldn't be comfortable doing a flight tour so the only option to see Misty Fjord would be by boat, but it is long and I'm wondering have we too many boat based excursions so thinking of leaving that one and letting fate decide closer to the day. If the Misty Fjords cruise tour is full, it wasn't meant to be :) I'd quite like to get in to the Tongass Forest...

According to the Cruise Line Agencies of Alaska, your ship is scheduled to dock, at berth two in Ketchikan. That will allow lots of time to get to explore Ketchikan and its Creek street. I have been twice, and love Ketchikan!

That is really useful to know! Thank you so much :)