Belize Tender to do or not?

kc58ab

I will preface with I don’t like fast, uncontrolled movement when it is out of my possibility to stop or change. Couple years ago we had to get on tender to get to Carnival’s Little Stirrup Cay and it really made me nervous especially when it was tethered to the ship. Once we started moving it was a bit better, it didn’t move that fast and I relaxed some. Still didn’t love it, but it was only like 10 mins. Last year I got on the ferry from Cozumel to Play de Carmen and it was truly awful. I don’t anticipate I will EVER do that again. Way too much up and down, side to side movement and for far too long at like 45 + mins. So I’m trying to decide if I want to get off the boat in Belize. Last time I was there I didn’t because I was too nervous about the expected 20 mins tender ride. Can anyone tell me what to typically expect on this tender? We are going the beginning of March. Thanks in advance for what you can offer in details to help me decide whether to get off the boat this time and experience Belize!

My family has done the tender in Belize many times. It is very comfortable for us. The boat ride is at a good speed and the 20 mins or so seems to pass by quickly. The breeze is nice and we're able to get some nice pictures of the ship as we're pulling away from it on our way to shore. I hope you have a nice time!

Most tenders in Belize are larger vessels holding 200+ passengers. Ride is usually smooth but can't be guaranteed if a wind/weather system is moving through the area. All in al, if you don't want to book with a private vendor and just perhaps go to the tender pier or take a Belize City tour then wait until you arrive and look at the sea conditions and decide.

The Belize channel, where all the cruise ships anchor, is very shallow. For that reason there really aren't waves (protected by outer islands). VERY different from the channel between Cozumel and Playa del Carmen... which is very very deep water.

the tenders are really a smooth ride in Belize...

On the day your ship arrives in Belize, you can head up to the open deck on the ship to watch the tender process and see how it looks. You'll be able to see the size of the tenders and the condition of the weather and the time from ship to shore. You can then decide if it looks like something you would want to do.

• 3 months later...

I like what ebay33 recommended. Watching the tendering process really helps to alleviate some of the apprehension.

My wife was nervous the first time we did it. Now she looks forward to the different views she can get from the tenders that can't be seen from the ship or land.

Enjoy your cruise. It's a great way to travel!