Leave Tundra Tour Early, Take Shuttle Back?

fredmertz

Why do you think some may not be able to last the whole trip?

The total TWT bus trip is about 6 hours, out and back. If an issue should arise you would need to notify your driver who would contact another bus in the area and arrange a transfer to a bus heading back that happens to have empty seats (no guarantee).

If you forsee an issue it might be best for those members of your group to find something else to do for those six hours, like the exhibits and movie at the visitors center or a visit to the kennels. There are other activities and also shorter bus tours.

Ok, thanks.-- the descriptions say 9 hours. I'm not worried about someone not physically being able to make it. Just a kid getting super cranky. I don't expect anything that would absolutely require a return trip, just wondering what the logistics would be.

Ok, thanks.-- the descriptions say 9 hours. I'm not worried about someone not physically being able to make it. Just a kid getting super cranky. I don't expect anything that would absolutely require a return trip, just wondering what the logistics would be.

There will be added time for the pick up and drop off at your hotel which will add to the "down time".

Both park web sites describe the TWT as 7-8 hrs. The 1 hr variance is probably for those days when the mountain is visible when the bus continues beyond the usual turnaround point at Mile 53, and goes to Stoney Hill at Mile 62.

http://www.reservedenali.com/play/tours/tundra-wilderness.aspx

Yes, you can flag down a shuttle bus if you choose to leave the tour early. As long as there are empty seats, the shuttle will pick you up. If there are several of you tho, be prepared to split up.

You can get off the bus at one of the rest stops or just hop off anywhere and walk along the road for awhile.

If you exit your tour bus, you can return on any shuttle bus, that has open seats.

If you decide to exit at one of the fixed stops, notify your driver, since tour buses have fixed numbers of people. Otherwise , you can just tell the driver to let you out, anywhere along the road.

I've never been to Alaska before. I did, however, call Princess the other day to verify upgrading from the Nat'l. History Tour to the Tundra Wilderness Tour was an option. I was told the Tundra tour would starts early in the morning and that it took 9 hrs. (Guess they don't allow upgrading to the afternoon version of the tour.) I realize the Reserve Denali website (link in a post above) says there is a window of several hrs. when the tour might start and that departure times can be anywhere within that window. However, I imagine that Princess counts the time guests are required to meet for the excursion and time taken to get back to the lodge in their 9 hr. estimate.

Budget Queen, would you say the Toklat TOUR is much better than the shuttle trip? We booked the shuttle and won't have to board until around 11 a.m. The shuttle is supposed to last 6 hrs. and we figured that would be long enough for us. Aside from the lunch (which really isn't too much more than snacks, isn't it?), do you think we'd be missing much by doing the shuttle instead? (I thought you'd likely know if anyone would!)

I've never been to Alaska before. I did, however, call Princess the other day to verify upgrading from the Nat'l. History Tour to the Tundra Wilderness Tour was an option. I was told the Tundra tour would start early in the morning and that would take 9 hrs. (Guess they don't allow upgrading to the afternoon version of the tour.) I realize the Reserve Denali website (link in a post above) says there is a window of several hrs. when the tour might start and that departure times can be anywhere within that window. However, I imagine that Princess counts the time guests are required to meet for the excursion and time taken to get back to the lodge in their 9 hr. estimate.

Budget Queen, would you say the Toklat TOUR is much better than the shuttle trip? We booked the shuttle and won't have to board until around 11 a.m. The shuttle is supposed to last 6 hrs. and we figured that would be long enough for us. Aside from the lunch (which really isn't too much more than snacks, isn't it?), do you think we'd be missing much by doing the shuttle instead? (I thought you'd likely know if anyone would!)

I've never been to Alaska before. I did, however, call Princess the other day to verify upgrading from the Nat'l. History Tour to the Tundra Wilderness Tour was an option. I was told the Tundra tour would starts early in the morning and that it took 9 hrs. (Guess they don't allow upgrading to the afternoon version of the tour.) I realize the Reserve Denali website (link in a post above) says there is a window of several hrs. when the tour might start and that departure times can be anywhere within that window. However, I imagine that Princess counts the time guests are required to meet for the excursion and time taken to get back to the lodge in their 9 hr. estimate.

I never recommend the TWT in favor of ANY shuttle buses. The problem with a lot of people, they just can't manage going independently and splitting up from a cruise tour. But, by far- it's of significant benefit to consider shuttle buses, but I never recommend less than Eielson. Princess, in the past- has refunded tours- even better. :)

There is no Toklat tour, I'll assume you mean the Tundra Wilderness tour? The TWT can go to mile 63,, the Toklat Shuttle bus, mile 53. That 10 miles can be significant for bear viewing- reason for always getting to at least Eielson, mile 66.

I would suggest, booking to Eielson, you can turn back at any time, but, I'll speculate- you are not going to be watching any clock and time will fly by with the spectacular scenery.

Taking shuttle buses, without your own transportation does need additional effort since you have to decide how you are going to get to the Wilderness Access Center, plus you must bring all your own food and drink. Be sure to bring along your Princess cruisetour paperwork, since you can get the park admission fee refunded when you pick up your shuttle tickets.

Thanks, Budget Queen. I knew you'd have some good answers!

Yes, I accidently (and incorrectly) referred to the Toklat Shuttle as the Toklat Tour instead of the Tundra Tour.

I actually booked the shuttle a few weeks ago. In fact, I even decided to do our cruise a week later due to the fact that the road to Toklat doesn't open until May 20, and we'd have had our full day in Denali on May 19th. We'll be there too early to go to Eielson. The road doesn't go that far until June 1. (I know you know that but I threw it in here for those that don't.) When I called Princess to inquire about the option to upgrade to the Tundra Wilderness tour, I asked if we could get any sort of refund or onboard credit since we wouldn't be doing the Natural History tour OR the Tundra Wilderness Tour. She said no, you don't get anything when you opt not to take advantage of their included tours.

I figured we'd use the regular shuttles to get from the Denali Lodge over to the Visitor's Center. Isn't that the way it's done for those w/out a car?

Thanks, Budget Queen. I knew you'd have some good answers!

Yes, I accidently (and incorrectly) referred to the Toklat Shuttle as the Toklat Tour instead of the Tundra Tour.

I actually booked the shuttle a few weeks ago. In fact, I even decided to do our cruise a week later due to the fact that the road to Toklat doesn't open until May 20, and we'd have had our full day in Denali on May 19th. We'll be there too early to go to Eielson. The road doesn't go that far until June 1. (I know you know that but I threw it in here for those that don't.) When I called Princess to inquire about the option to upgrade to the Tundra Wilderness tour, I asked if we could get any sort of refund or onboard credit since we wouldn't be doing the Natural History tour OR the Tundra Wilderness Tour. She said no, you don't get anything when you opt not to take advantage of their included tours.

I figured we'd use the regular shuttles to get from the Denali Lodge over to the Visitor's Center. Isn't that the way it's done for those w/out a car?

Denali Princess Lodge shuttles only run once/hour. And you do NOT get the shuttle bus at the "Visitor Center". You need to go to the Wilderness Access Center- 2 - different places.

Call again, about the NHT refund. There have been reports of refunds this season, a few months ago, I've seen (also refusals). Worth another a try?

Denali Princess Lodge shuttles only run once/hour. And you do NOT get the shuttle bus at the "Visitor Center". You need to go to the Wilderness Access Center- 2 - different places.

Call again, about the NHT refund. There have been reports of refunds this season, a few months ago, I've seen (also refusals). Worth another a try?

This is from the Princess website:

http://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-destinations/alaska-cruises/cruisetour-options/

To change the Denali Park tour on an existing Alaska cruisetour booking, please have your Travel Agent call Princess. The price difference will be applied to your booking. Changes must be made 14 days prior to departure

You may also choose to opt out of the tour altogether. The price will be credited to your booking