Docking Location for Ho Chi Minh City

tring

We are due to dock in Ho Chi Minh City next February on a very small ship so I suspect we will be sailing up river to the city as we have done on a small ship previously.

It is usually fairly easy to pick up a port authority site and check the docking location, but I cannot find those details for this port - even for this year. Does anyone know if one exists?

I have found some non-official looking sites in English by googling - I imagine that the official sites are going to be in Vietnamese and not come up on my google search? My cruise comes up but can't find my dock either :p

http://www.whatsinport.com/Ho-Chi-Minh-City.htm

One of the purported ports for smaller ships

https://www.google.com/maps/place/10%C2%B032'27.5%22N+107%C2%B001'42.9%22E/@10.540977,107.0264043,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

Another

https://www.google.com/maps/place/10%C2%B046'04.5%22N+106%C2%B042'28.3%22E/@10.767913,106.7056773,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

Thanks for that.

The last time we were there I we went up river to (I think) the location shown in your third link and our ship was about 28,000 ton. This time our ship is about 15,000 ton, so hopefully we will do the same. I had found the whatsinport.com link that you have given, but as you say it does not give a schedule of ships in port.

If you are on one of the bigger ships, I think you are likely to be in Phu My.

We are booked on an overnight trip to The Mekong by our cruise company this time, so the location is not that much of a problem for us, but being in Ho Chi Minh would hopefully reduce the travelling time there and back.

If you have not been to Vietnam before I am sure you will enjoy it. We were thinking of taking a land holiday there, then we found this cruise with six ports in Vietnam and the overnight in Ho Chi Minh, so went for it, along with the subsequent cruise and an independent nine night land tour in Sri Lanka!!

Cheers,

Barbara

Edited by tring

Ben Nha Rong was always the city cruise berth until about 6 or 7 years ago, when a new bridge downstream limited the height & some ships have to berth at Lotus Port, immediately downstream of that bridge.

Our ship at 22,000 tons was able to go under it, theoretically your little tiddler at 15.000 tonnes should easily do the same but of course tonnage & height don't go in parallel.

Ben Nha Rong is walkable to the city centre in about 15 / 20 minutes, Lotus Port is 20 / 25 minute taxi ride.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Lotus+Port,+Ph%C3%BA+Thu%E1%BA%ADn,+Ho+Chi+Minh,+Vietnam/Ho+Chi+Minh+Museum,+01+Nguy%E1%BB%85n+T%E1%BA%A5t+Th%C3%A0nh,+ph%C6%B0%E1%BB%9Dng+12,+Qu%E1%BA%ADn+4,+H%E1%BB%93+Ch%C3%AD+Minh,+Vietnam/Rex+Hotel,+Nguy%C3%AA%CC%83n+Hu%C3%AA%CC%A3,+Ho+Chi+Minh+City,+Vietnam/@10.7570265,106.7056893,14z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m20!4m19!1m5!1m1!1s0x31752574e28ecef5:0x7c64ca20dd551f9e!2m2!1d106.7451184!2d10.7403122!1m5!1m1!1s0x31752f421662cdd9:0xdbe1b38b5fabac75!2m2!1d106.706804!2d10.7682712!1m5!1m1!1s0x31752f479e4f95db:0xcae127d5b519b548!2m2!1d106.7012795!2d10.7758027!3e0

Googlemaps insists on labelling Ben Nha Rong as the adjacent Ho Chi Minh museum.

I've also included the Rex Hotel on the map as a marker for the city centre.

The other port linked by Hoyaheel is Phu My, for big ships

JB :)

Azamara, should be fine I expect. Although you never know what a cruise company may do - I have seen a review where one of the Renaissance built Princess ships had a last minute change and went into Phu My to everyone's annoyance.

Which ship were you on John, we are on VOD's Voyager next February? Last time we were on the Costa Allegra - not the best of boats or cruise company, but a very good itinerary for two weeks round trip from Hong Kong which allowed us to stay an extra 11 nights in Hong Kong as they were prepared to delay our flight back. VOD have done the same next year for a fairly small admin fee, so not bad really. These overnight flights travelling west are a killer though - if we go that far again I think we will be looking to come back, (at least part way), by sea.

We sail at about 3pm on the second day so I do not think we will have time to go ashore independently anyway. Heaven knows what time they will have us up that morning, but we are to be taken on a boat to see the a floating market then on to a fruit growers and sweet makers before breakfast!! We hope to see the floating market though as it seems these things are very early morning so are well finished before the one day tours are anywhere near.

It will be good to sail down the river in daylight again though.

Azamara, should be fine I expect. Although you never know what a cruise company may do - I have seen a review where one of the Renaissance built Princess ships had a last minute change and went into Phu My to everyone's annoyance.

Which ship were you on John, we are on VOD's Voyager next February? Last time we were on the Costa Allegra - not the best of boats or cruise company, but a very good itinerary for two weeks round trip from Hong Kong which allowed us to stay an extra 11 nights in Hong Kong as they were prepared to delay our flight back. VOD have done the same next year for a fairly small admin fee, so not bad really. These overnight flights travelling west are a killer though - if we go that far again I think we will be looking to come back, (at least part way), by sea.

We sail at about 3pm on the second day so I do not think we will have time to go ashore independently anyway. Heaven knows what time they will have us up that morning, but we are to be taken on a boat to see the a floating market then on to a fruit growers and sweet makers before breakfast!! We hope to see the floating market though as it seems these things are very early morning so are well finished before the one day tours are anywhere near.

It will be good to sail down the river in daylight again though.

Hi Hoyaheel - I'm pretty certain Azamara still sail up the Saigon River rather than Phu My, but I don't know whether they fit under that bridge or now have to stop short at Lotus Port. I'm sure folk will know over on the Azamara forum.

Hi Tring,

We were on VOD's Discovery, which preceded Voyager.

We too had been tempted by Costa's itinerary but were put off because of poor reports of the ship.

So we went on Discovery instead.

Out of the frying pan ......... :D

Another tired & leaky old ship. But a great crew, a great atmosphere, sensible pricing & a great itinerary - 30 days port-intensive including plenty of overnites.

Sailed her twice since, so she couldn't have been too bad.

Last time was under the Cruise & Maritime flag, much of the atmosphere had gone because when VOD replaced her with Voyager the entire crew moved over to Voyager.

So you'll have a great crew on Voyager, they all come from one village in the Philippines & they've worked for VOD for decades. And VOD do go out of their way to be different - deck barbies, local entertainers on deck, dusty old films like Bob Hope's Road to Bali that feature the ports to be visited, good port lectures (not just to sell excursions), good party nights on the stern deck, and I remember a great murder mystery dinner.

That is the trouble with our like of small ships - they are either super pricey or k.........d old boats!

We were on Voyager last September and it was OK in the main, at least they have open dining. We have only been on Discovery once, which was just after the running of it transferred to CMV. It was not too bad and the itinerary was very good. We did try Marco Polo for a mini cruise after that and came to the conclusion you have to say no at some stage - shame because CMV do have some really good itineraries.

We have also travelled on Swan Hellenic's Minerva II and subsequently Minerva. That is a different world entirely, but only worth paying the prices on an itinerary when trips are worthwhile (Amazon and Iceland were excellent value in a cheaper cabin IMO). Not been onboard since the big refurb few years ago though and it sounds like things are going down.

Meanwhile we largely make do with Fred Olsen if we want to cruise, but are thinking more land holidays may be the way forward.......

Edited by tring

That is the trouble with our like of small ships - they are either super pricey or k.........d old boats!

We were on Voyager last September and it was OK in the main, at least they have open dining. We have only been on Discovery once, which was just after the running of it transferred to CMV. It was not too bad and the itinerary was very good. We did try Marco Polo for a mini cruise after that and came to the conclusion you have to say no at some stage - shame because CMV do have some really good itineraries.

We have also travelled on Swan Hellenic's Minerva II and subsequently Minerva. That is a different world entirely, but only worth paying the prices on an itinerary when trips are worthwhile (Amazon and Iceland were excellent value in a cheaper cabin IMO). Not been onboard since the big refurb few years ago though and it sounds like things are going down.

Meanwhile we largely make do with Fred Olsen if we want to cruise, but are thinking more land holidays may be the way forward.......

Our C&M Discovery cruise was actually a VOD booking to the Black Sea, the ship changed hands between booking & cruise.

Like you, we knew the limitations of the old lady but were hooked by the itinerary. Included Gallipoli, Istanbul, Odessa, Sevastapol, Yalta. So glad we visited the Black Sea ports before the grief in Crimea. Met just one crew member that we knew, a security guy who was well-paid to stay on Discovery.

We mix cruises & road trips, getting very bored with the same-old itineraries offered by the major lines. It's only the likes of VOD, C&M, Fred & the occasional Thomson - and the expensive small American ships - that offer something different.

Another American road trip lined up for June. :)

So glad we visited the Black Sea ports before the grief in Crimea.

We did the Black Sea on Pacific Princess (same R ship as the Azamara we're booked on for November) in 2011 - enjoyed it so much! Our second time on Pacific Princess (first time was an Alaskan cruise)- we like small ships but not SUPER tiny, so our options are limited - and as noted, can be expensive! We don't cruise much (not nearly as much as some here on CC) mainly because we're not Caribbean/beach people, so we tend to do land/city trips. But we like to cruise occasionally -for something different, to get an overview of an area we've not visited before, to see things that are best seen from the water (like Alaska). Our Asian cruise is one of the "overview" trips - I've done work in China and my husband came with me on one trip to Shanghai, but neither of us have been to the ports on the cruise we booked (SIN - HKG, stopping in Thailand & Vietnam) We'd planned a land trip to Vietnam, and I'm also interested possibly in a Mekong river cruise, but we did a European river cruise last year and it's not my favorite thing in the world - I'm too independent a traveler and including all the tours makes the fare more than I feel like spending for stuff I can arrange on my own. Anyhoo - we're looking forward to Azamara and not sure what's next on the travel agenda.

Oceania's Nautica is about 30,000 tonnes. It was able to dock upriver at the old river dock just below the new highway tunnel. It's about a 15 min walk from the city centre.

The dock just below the new tunnel is Ben Nha Rong, the tunnel was being built when we were there - and that's after the bridge upstream from Lotus Port was built.

So that confirms that Azamara's R class can still berth at Ben Nha Rong. :)

yes, very handy to the city :)

Good to know -esp as we are there overnight. I definitely will do a food tour (I'm hoping to do a food tour in most ports ;) I always say I travel for my stomach!)

Hadn't realized the Minerva II was one of the R ships too - we had been tracking them for a while but there was a lot of movement a couple years ago and as we weren't cruising at the time we couldn't keep up:o We really do love these ships and seek them out!

Our C&M Discovery cruise was actually a VOD booking to the Black Sea, the ship changed hands between booking & cruise.

Like you, we knew the limitations of the old lady but were hooked by the itinerary. Included Gallipoli, Istanbul, Odessa, Sevastapol, Yalta. So glad we visited the Black Sea ports before the grief in Crimea. Met just one crew member that we knew, a security guy who was well-paid to stay on Discovery.

Another American road trip lined up for June. :)

You got to the Black Sea just in time. We booked Black Sea on Voyager a couple of years back - great itinerary of Istanbul, Sinop, Georgia, two in Russia and three in Crimea as well as Odessa overnight. Most of a year after we booked Putin walked in on Crimea so those three ports were cancelled and Odessa was looking Iffy as well (they did not go). Luckily they gave us the option to cancel, which we did, hoping to do the whole itinerary another time - but may be not!!! Did Istanbul last year though on Voyager Eastern Med.

Sounds like ships still going up river to Ho Chi Minh from what is reported here - I was wondering if ships were taking the soft option when I read about the Princess renaissance ship going into Phu My - that may have been last year (not sure). Thank you everyone for the replies about that.

Enjoy June in America,

Cheers,

Barbara

Edited by tring

Hadn't realized the Minerva II was one of the R ships too - we had been tracking them for a while but there was a lot of movement a couple years ago and as we weren't cruising at the time we couldn't keep up:o We really do love these ships and seek them out!

My post was perhaps not clear for all people. Swan Hellenic were operating Minerva II until spring 2007, when they were linked to P&O, which had been acquired by the Carnival Corporation. Carnival made it known from the outset that they do not do "small", (Swan had one ship), and axed Swan. The Swan title and database was bought by Lord Sterling and the company re emerged operated by the British "All Leisure Group". The older and smaller Minerva, which they now operate, was originally built for Swan who changed the name back to Minerva on reacquisition. The future demise of Swan under Carnival was known in November 2006 when we were on board for an Amazon cruise and the crossing the line ceremony was hilarious as the process was overseen by "King Carnival" and was filled with all sorts of puns.

Meanwhile, the original R class ship Minerva II (R7 I think), continued to sail for the Carnival Corporation as Royal Princess and subsequently became P&O's Adonia, which is now starting cruises to Cuba under the Fathom branding.

Enjoy your Far East cruise, we have also rejected a Mekong river cruise on grounds of cost (sadly). I believe there is a train which goes up the coast of Vietnam and it is easy to travel independently that way, staying in various bases en route and also go over the border to Cambodia to see impressive temples. Someone I used to work with did that and we were thinking of following his lead before we booked next years cruise which has six ports in Vietnam. I was told the tales of that holiday about seven years ago. You may want to look into it - sounds like your sort of thing.

Edited by tring

I believe there is a train which goes up the coast of Vietnam and it is easy to travel independently that way, staying in various bases en route and also go over the border to Cambodia to see impressive temples. Someone I used to work with did that and we were thinking of following his lead before we booked next years cruise which has six ports in Vietnam. I was told the tales of that holiday about seven years ago. You may want to look into it - sounds like your sort of thing.

Ooh, that does sound nice! I'd sort of thought of just flying to Hanoi and visiting Halong Bay and Hoi An (flight are also cheap intra-Vietnam) but other priorities pushed it out of the lead for vacations. It's on the list- but lower now. We'll see how husband does on this trip - he hates long flights so it's been challenging to get him to Asia (from east coast US) And I'm too cheap to pay business class seats when I want to travel! (we used miles for the upcoming trip, and when we went to Shanghai together we bought an extra seat in coach so we had a row of 3 seats to ourselves - still cheaper than 1 business class seat but enough space for husband to be able to sleep)

We will be on Celebrity Constellation in March 2017 - how can I find out where we will be please?

Thank you

Connie is waaaaay too big to sail up the Saigon River, so she berths at Phu My.

It used to be a slow & tortuous drive from there to Saigon, but a fast spanking-new road was completed a year or two back, & the journey is now rated at about 1 hour 20 minutes.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Rex+Hotel,+Nguy%C3%AA%CC%83n+Hu%C3%AA%CC%A3,+Ho+Chi+Minh+City,+Vietnam/10.5051624,107.0162406/@10.7053851,106.739333,11z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m9!4m8!1m5!1m1!1s0x31752f479e4f95db:0xcae127d5b519b548!2m2!1d106.7012795!2d10.7758027!1m0!3e0

Getting a taxi on-spec from Phu My used to be problematic, I've heard it's not such a problem now but best to play safe & fix up transportation in advance - either a private tour or transfers, or ship's "Saigon on your own" coach.

Once in the centre, the main sights - Reunification Hall, War Remnants Museum, Ben Thahn market, Notre Dame, Post Office (good tourist info desk in there) etc - are walkable.

If Connie berths overnite, do consider overniting in a Saigon hotel. Inexpensive, avoids double-tripping, gives you an evening in this amazing city

Edited by John Bull

We will be on Celebrity Constellation in March 2017 - how can I find out where we will be please?

Thank you

Unfortunately you will be docking at Phu My...A somewhat long bus ride from the city. The Connie is just too long and too big.

• 8 months later...

Thank you

I'm also on this cruise on these dates & im currently searching the internet looking for the answer as I didn't realise we could be so far away from Ho Chi Minh - not very happy at the thought to be honest !!