St. George's recommendations

LA_CA_GAL

OK, we will be on the Summit, and I am beginning the planning for a trip to St. George's.

Ferry leaves the Dockyard at 9:30 AM. Return ferries are either 3:30 or 5:30 PM.

The only plan right now is Tobacco Bay.

Considering stopping for food and drink at Wahoo's. Wondering how far away is the ferry from here.

Any must do places we should visit?

All suggestions appreciated.

I think Wahoo's was maybe a ten minute walk from the ferry terminal. We didn't eat there but I remember walking by it.

Tobacco Bay was nice:

IMG_1564.jpg

A short walk from there is Fort St. Catherine, and a lovely beach that was practically deserted:

IMG_1572.jpg

The Unfinished Church is along the way (the walk isn't so bad)...

IMG_1585.jpg

Also on the way is St. Peter's Church. Lots of neat little shops and historical places all over St. George's. We came over on the 9:30 and left on the 3:30, had plenty of time to poke around a few stores, walk to Tobacco Bay/ St. Catherine's, swim and snorkel a bit. I already want to go back!

I think Wahoo's was maybe a ten minute walk from the ferry terminal. We didn't eat there but I remember walking by it.

If they go east from the Ferry Terminal, walking past the World Heritage Center, and down Pennos Drive along the waterfront which curves left along the water, then when getting to Water Street turn right, it will take about 3 minutes to get to Wahoo's from the ferry terminal.

Edited by Charles4515

Great info. Truly appreciated.

Questions: How long a walk would it be from the ferry to Tobacco Bay? If we spend time at TB, can we get a cab back to the ferry/Wahoo's?

It is about a 15 minute walk from the ferry to Tobacco Bay. You can get a taxi back. There are usually some waiting there or they can call one for you. Wahoo's is close by the King's Square. So if you plan on Wahoo's after Tobacco but before returning to the ferry have the Taxi drop you off at Kings Square. Water Street is closed to traffic. It runs off the square near the taxi stand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

Tobacco Bay was nice:

IMG_1564.jpg

A short walk from there is Fort St. Catherine, and a lovely beach that was practically deserted:

IMG_1572.jpg

The Unfinished Church is along the way (the walk isn't so bad)...

IMG_1585.jpg

Also on the way is St. Peter's Church. Lots of neat little shops and historical places all over St. George's. We came over on the 9:30 and left on the 3:30, had plenty of time to poke around a few stores, walk to Tobacco Bay/ St. Catherine's, swim and snorkel a bit. I already want to go back!

Thanks so much for these posts- I didn't realize how much we needed to go to St George's until I saw these photos... can't wait to see it all!

Just back from a weeks stay in St George. Ate at Wahoo's and it was excellent food with a nice view. Of course food is subjective. Favorite for a local vibe and great food is Mama Angies, but, no view, and is only open for breakfast and lunch. (8am-2:45 m-f). If you are at Tobacco Bay, I recommend eating at The Beach House at Blackbeards in Achilles Bay, beautiful views and very good food, which is in between Tobacco Bay and Ft. St.Catherine. You can visit Ft. St.Catherine, Tobacco Bay, and Achilles Bay all in the same shot. If you have the chance, go to Blackbeards at sunset. Stunning sunset view.

Just back from a weeks stay in St George. Ate at Wahoo's and it was excellent food with a nice view. Of course food is subjective. Favorite for a local vibe and great food is Mama Angies, but, no view, and is only open for breakfast and lunch. (8am-2:45 m-f). If you are at Tobacco Bay, I recommend eating at The Beach House at Blackbeards in Achilles Bay, beautiful views and very good food, which is in between Tobacco Bay and Ft. St.Catherine. You can visit Ft. St.Catherine, Tobacco Bay, and Achilles Bay all in the same shot. If you have the chance, go to Blackbeards at sunset. Stunning sunset view.

Great info, appreciate it. Did you do all of this walking or cab.

I would consider all of this, depending on how long it would take. I really want to spend a couple of hours relaxing at Tobacco Bay.

Forgot to mention, Tobacco Bay, believe it or not, has really good burgers. So, if you want to just stay at the beach, just eat at Tobacco Bay, plus they have a bar, so you can have a cocktail or three.

Hi, we too are on the Summit. While I was in Bermuda once, my recollection is pretty foggy. We would like to go to Tobacco Bay too and thinking we would do that our first day upon arrival into Bermuda - any knowledge if this is possible if we dock at 8:30 am. I guess the ferry is the only way really there?

Hi, we too are on the Summit. While I was in Bermuda once, my recollection is pretty foggy. We would like to go to Tobacco Bay too and thinking we would do that our first day upon arrival into Bermuda - any knowledge if this is possible if we dock at 8:30 am. I guess the ferry is the only way really there?

Pretty simple, just take the ferry.

You could grab the first one at 9:30 AM. Second one leaves at 11:30.

OK, we will be on the Summit, and I am beginning the planning for a trip to St. George's.

All suggestions appreciated.

If it's any help from about 2.00 in this shows what we did there. We only had half a day as we went to Dockyard in the afternoon after quick swim at TB. All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]WeaD2EeS_SI[/YOUTUBE]

I have been able to catch the 9:30 ferry to St. George the last two years on the first day docking at 8:30 on Summit. Knock on wood, we have the same plans in a week and a half. I have a brand new snorkel to break in at Tobacco. Ready to get off a soon as the ship clears. I am flexible though. If I don't make St. George on day 1, I will switch and do Horseshoe on day 1 and St. George on day 2.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If it's any help from about 2.00 in this shows what we did there. We only had half a day as we went to Dockyard in the afternoon after quick swim at TB. All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]WeaD2EeS_SI[/YOUTUBE]

So nice to watch- thank you for sharing!

We will be in Bermuda on July 3rd on the Summit. Spending a day at St George is a must...by ferry, of course. The last time I was over there when you got off the ferry there was an open air tram waiting if anyone didn't want to walk you could hop the tram. If you walk to the beaches it is uphill going, downhill coming back..and you could visit the Unfinished Church.

As far as eats I do remember seeing Wahoo's, you can't miss it. I went to Mama Angie's (as mentioned in an above port) for a fish sandwich lunch. There is also a very popular place called Art Mel's if you just want to grab a fish sandwich. All of these places are very close together.

If the beach isn't your thing and you just want to go over there for the excellent ferry ride and then do a little exploring and lunch they have a recreation of the "dunking of the wench" and the town crier in the town center. Not my video, I borrowed the link.

Entrance to Mama Angie's and the fish sandwich there...Art Mel wasn't open that day.

20140923_131321_zps3iijjllg.jpg

20140923_131905_zpsczjcxt54.jpg

We will be in Bermuda on July 3rd on the Summit. Spending a day at St George is a must...by ferry, of course. The last time I was over there when you got off the ferry there was an open air tram waiting if anyone didn't want to walk you could hop the tram. If you walk to the beaches it is uphill going, downhill coming back..and you could visit the Unfinished Church.

As far as eats I do remember seeing Wahoo's, you can't miss it. I went to Mama Angie's (as mentioned in an above port) for a fish sandwich lunch. There is also a very popular place called Art Mel's if you just want to grab a fish sandwich. All of these places are very close together.

If the beach isn't your thing and you just want to go over there for the excellent ferry ride and then do a little exploring and lunch they have a recreation of the "dunking of the wench" and the town crier in the town center. Not my video, I borrowed the link.

Entrance to Mama Angie's and the fish sandwich there...Art Mel wasn't open that day.

20140923_131321_zps3iijjllg.jpg

20140923_131905_zpsczjcxt54.jpg

FYI, Art Mel's no longer exists. The owner died recently, but the location in St. George had closed even before that.

Njhorseman is very knowledgeable on these boards. I personally, take heed to his information. He is correct in stating, St Georges Art Mels has been closed for a while. Hamilton Art Mels was also closed when we were there May 22. Talked to a couple locals who said the relatives of Art were fighting. Of course, that doesn't mean it will be closed forever. But I would find out if they are open, before I grabbed a cab to go there.

Took the 9:30 ferry from Dockyard over to SG about 2 weeks ago on a Thursday (on the Breakaway, Summit @ King's Wharf) - everyone that was there early to get in line to board made it, I think. Unlike Wednesday when the CAT ferry was full, leaving at least 150 to 200 with the option to go to Hamilton instead.

b6d09584e204518bd8061778abd24ddb.jpg

We saw the electric ? open air tram around the corner from SG's Ferry building, but it wasn't the "free" one ?? For a 45 minutes tour, quoted $16 or $18 p/p so we continued onward. Walk back around the corner to the World Heritage Center, where they have shuttle & tour info to Fort. St. Catherine (and, restrooms inside - ones inside the ferry building had very long lines, for both ladies & men too)

e14d4018bcff17b29d0962238811d3fc.jpg

bfd7bbaa66590f57999df0d8a15594d3.jpg

We ended up doing the free 1 hour walking tour, given by BDA tourism staff - that met in front of WHC (she was on the ferry & rode over, announced the availability as we're getting ready to go ashore) ... so, wear comfortable walking shoes as you will be doing small hills.

There're about 30 to 35 of us on this free tour, we headed uphill, stopped at one of the resort overlooking the hill, learned a little history about the ordinary home/house built 300 years ago (and, still standing solid w. maintenance & care) before seeing one of the original - St. Peter's Church (sign the Guest Book & feel free to leave a donation,) the perfumery.

514ef3b0697a1a492cebf0343f5da6d3.jpg

Hightlight being the stop @ the Unfinished Church (10 years ago, we're able to go inside ... not anymore, for structural safety reasons, but just as good) then, came back downhill - stopping at the park, final stop @ the Town Square.

9decf310e5794d7df42976e4ce972902.jpg

Strolled thru historic town via the waterfront back to catch the 1 PM ferry (which was pretty empty - boarding started at almost 1 o'clock & everyone - maybe 50 people at most - was onboard quickly & we're off quickly) back on to the ship for a late lunch ... followed by a nice afternoon nap.

ebfad847dc62168d5e6b000506ac55e5.jpg

Linked a few pictures that was originally uploaded/posted via Tapatalk in our Semi Live Review/Update.

Edited by mking8288

We saw the electric ? open air tram around the corner from SG's Ferry building, but it wasn't the "free" one ?? For a 45 minutes tour, quoted $16 or $18 p/p so we continued onward.

Nice trip report. Thanks for posting it. I don't think there is a free one in St.George. The private one that charges is the only one I have ever seen there.

Edited by Charles4515

Took the 9:30 ......

Walk back around the corner to the World Heritage Center, where they have shuttle & tour info to Fort. St. Catherine

Appreciate the info and great pix.

Like you, we will probably be taking the 9:30 ferry.

Could you elaborate on the tour to St. Catherine's?

I would like to go to SC's when we get there, then walk over to Tobacco Bay to spend most of the day, then walk back towards the ferry area, stopping at the unfinished church.

Your thoughts?

Get/download a detailed BDA map for the St. George's area to use and don't forget those SPF 30+ suntan lotion. A good hat & water for hydration are a must to go with comfortable walking shoes - it felt a little humid for us, sweating is good, however.

To make the 9:30 ferry, especially on Wednesday/Day 1 of arrival for the islands, get your ferry tickets, 2 days pass or tokens early from the VIC early (inside the building) - if you could, otherwise - pay cash (rolls of quarters or $5 or $10 bill) but get in line early (no later than 9:00) for the ferry, one line is for Hamilton and the 2nd. one is for SG.

Tickets & info for the tour to Fort. St. Catherine are given inside the World Heritage Center - admission is $7 for adults, seniors at $5, children 5 to 15 at $3 and those under 4 years old - free. It's a nice but long walk, described as 15 minutes but longer for some of us and it's up the hills. The roads are narrow and there are really no "sidewalks" - when we did the SG walking tour, our nice guide had to remind everyone to watch for traffic & keep off the road with the occasional cars coming by - or, at least walk in single column (remember to look both ways before crossing as they drive on the left.)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/NCL%20Cruising%20-%20General/BDA-DSCF0706.JPG

49c49fb4decf6e7b86be146813f155b6.jpg

From the Fort, Tobacco Bay is a short walk, probably 10 minutes but before leaving, make your bathroom stops first at the Fort. Here's one of the nearby secluded beach we saw while stopping at the St. Catherine previously - can't recall which one this was (Charles/NJH ... BDA regulars, I'm sure they will instantly recognize it)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/NCL%20Cruising%20-%20General/BDA-DSCF0705.JPG

My thinking - assuming that walking is not an issue, take the shuttle/taxi to spend some time seeing the Fort first, over to the Bay to relax - then, walk back - and get some nice views coming over the hill of the SG's Harbor.

Unfinished Church is kind of mid-way, before downhill to Somer's Garden - St. Peter's Church would be ahead by staying to your right (offline map would be helpful - as signage in this historic town really don't exist ... It doesn't make sense to double back after shopping to see the churches.

We had live Google Map enabled on Fi Network so getting lost was not something we're worried about, just be mindful of the ferry's schedule & get back to the terminal 15 to 30 minutes early, especially if you plan to leave on the last boat at 5:30 PM) If you missed the ferry or cannot make it, not to worry - the buses will get you back, just going to take longer ( 2 hours vs. 45+ minutes via the fast CAT ferry) with a transfer in Hamilton for Dockyard.

See the churches & stop at the Perfumery first, befrore walking down to the King's Square & the shops along Water Street (or, along the waterfront) westward to the ferry building. Tracing this on Google Map or equivalent & zoom in would help - bonus: finding Moongate inside the park/garden.

273844f1464f5ae0453b702d0a3dca8b.jpg

f2167edaf5ffb5e2e51b26b5dca12d55.jpg

Bonus tip - need sodas, sports drinks & other beverages or essentials - stop by the (only ??) supermarket in town, it's just up the block from Water Street, on York Street (if I'm not mistaken) - that's where you can find the bus stops - pickup all your "needs" ... it's easy to spot/find. Prices are higher than the US mainland ... locals shop there & pay the same prices too.

Footnotes - Ferry building is on the waterfront, right side of picture as seen mid-hill at St. George's Club. Unfinished Church (top portion) is in the middle of the 2nd. picture, zoom in closer & you should see/recognize it. Fort SC is basically over the small hill on the other side, it's "walkable" but on a hot & sunny day with humidity ... a ride over in A/C taxi or shuttle services would be our pick.

Edited by mking8288

From the Fort, Tobacco Bay is a short walk, probably 10 minutes but before leaving, make your bathroom stops first at the Fort. Here's one of the nearby secluded beach we saw while stopping at the St. Catherine previously - can't recall which one this was (Charles/NJH ... BDA regulars, I'm sure they will instantly recognize it)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/NCL%20Cruising%20-%20General/BDA-DSCF0705.JPG

A lot of good stuff. The small secluded beach is Achilles Bay.

Edited by Charles4515