Snorkel 2 days on Cruise Ship Stop in Maui

astridwilson

Day 1 Sunday – Beach Hop - West Shore

Top Spots: *Kapalua Bay - A calm sheltered cove, very pretty (1 hour – Hit first). *Kahekili (Airport Beach) Beach in front of Westin Ka'anapali Resort. *Kaanapali Beach - Black Rock - Rated one of the top beaches in the world. *Olowalu (last on way back if time) – Acres of Coral. 4 Locations.

Day 2 Monday - Beach Hop – South Shore

Top Spots: *Turtle Town Maui & Maluaka Beach - a favorite snorkeling beach. *Ahihi Kinau Reserve. *La Perouse - Dolphins. *Ulua Beach on way back. Maybe *Po‘olenalena Beach on way back - 5 Locations.

Which spot should I eliminate on Day 2?

Thoughts??

No I decided the Road to Hana was too much driving, and no water time.

I am really not a fan of guided Snorkel Tours. Would Love to find a Dive tour that goes to the back wall of the Molokini Crater, but no one seems to do it on a Sunday or Monday. I have read on Scuba Board forums, that folks are disappointed with the Dive to the bowl of the crater.

I am really not a fan of guided Snorkel Tours. Would Love to find a Dive tour that goes to the back wall of the Molokini Crater, but no one seems to do it on a Sunday or Monday. I have read on Scuba Board forums, that folks are disappointed with the Dive to the bowl of the crater.

As I posted on your other thread, I would agree that Molokini wouldn't be my top choice. For me paying for the boat ride to a spot which is no better than a free shore dive/snorkel is not worth the cost & extra time to get there.

Makena/Maluaka (AKA Turtle Town) would be my first choice because there is more coral & turtles than at my 2nd choice of Ulua; both have paved parking lots but can get full by 10:00 AM. After our daily morning walk along the Wailea oceanfront sidewalk there are cars usually waiting for our parking spot. One factor is that Ulua is very popular for scuba instruction which results in the lot being full sooner than at Polo & Wailea beaches.

We've gone to Po'olenalena Beach (gravel lot & porta-potties) but haven't snorkeled/dived there. Maui Revealed rates Palauea (White Rock) better & is located between Polo & Po'olenalena (shares a rocky point between them) so that's another option.

Ahihi would be my last choice...a longer drive to a remote area which is more difficult to access & have read of dangerous conditions too often.

If going to the area just south of Olowalu at MM 14, consider the tides because we went when the tide was low & we couldn't snorkel over some of the best coral & instead had to navigate around it because it was so close to the surface.

Also consider that at all spots the winds generally increase in the afternoon resulting in choppy water with less visibility.

Edited by Astro Flyer

We snorkled the back of Molokini with "Redline Rafting." They also took us to the front side, Turtle Town, and Turtle Arches. There were only about 18 people on the boat so it wasn't a huge snorkle tour.