Favorite Antigua Excursion

cruisegal96

Our two favorite experiences in Antigua while there on a cruise -

Private island tour with Lawrence of Antigua. Excellent guide, very personable and respectful, nice vehicle, refreshments provided, and he will tailor the tour to your requests.

See Antigua by Sea, an excursion offered through the ship. This is the Excellence, a two-tiered luxury cat with a great crew and a wonderful day snorkeling followed by a very good lunch and then sailing the Antiguan coast and harbors. An amazing day, and still some of the bluest waters we've seen.

Private island tour with Lawrence of Antigua. Excellent guide, very personable and respectful, nice vehicle, refreshments provided, and he will tailor the tour to your requests.

See Antigua by Sea, an excursion offered through the ship. This is the Excellence, a two-tiered luxury cat with a great crew and a wonderful day snorkeling followed by a very good lunch and then sailing the Antiguan coast and harbors. An amazing day, and still some of the bluest waters we've seen.

Thanks those both sound good! We are trying to decide what area we may want to go to. We would like to go to a beautiful beach & see some sights. Considering Valley Church Beach or Shirley Heights & Galleon Beach.

• 2 weeks later...

Our favorite excursion is the Lobster Lunch Cruise with Captain Glen and Creole Cruises. If you don't mind being treated like royalty, have a guided tour of a deserted island with spectacular views, great snorkeling, a superb lunch with fresh grilled lobster and all the handmade sides, then top it off at a beach loaded with starfish, then you can't go wrong with this one.

Thanks those both sound good! We are trying to decide what area we may want to go to. We would like to go to a beautiful beach & see some sights. Considering Valley Church Beach or Shirley Heights & Galleon Beach.

Lawrence can show you Shiley Heights, drop you in Nelson Dockyard for an interesting look at the British naval history there, then drop you at the beach of your choosing.

Our favorite part if the daysail was motoring through English Harbor and sailing along the coast.

Edited by blue_water

All the excursions sound great! I have a feeling Antigua may be one of those islands we need to come back & stay for awhile, so much to do & see. Thank you for sharing your experiences. We are ready to get there!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

These are the two tours we are considering. This is our 2nd trip to Antigua. The first time we did the swim with rays. This time we wanted to see some of the island. Lawrence's tour doesn't include Devil's Bridge and the See Antigua by Sea does. In your opinion, which tour is better for seeing more of the island. We will include a beach stop if we go with Lawrence and he said it is Valley Church beach. TIA for any input.

These are the two tours we are considering. This is our 2nd trip to Antigua. The first time we did the swim with rays. This time we wanted to see some of the island. Lawrence's tour doesn't include Devil's Bridge and the See Antigua by Sea does. In your opinion, which tour is better for seeing more of the island. We will include a beach stop if we go with Lawrence and he said it is Valley Church beach. TIA for any input.

The island tour with Lawrence is a great day seeing the highlights of Antigua. The SAS cat excursion gives you a nice tour along the coast and into English Harbor, but to really see Antigua Lawrence's tour is excellent. We enjoyed seeing Shirley Heights, the Dockyard and other interesting spots, and a couple hours at the beach made it a really nice day!

[EDIT] The thing we remember most from the cat sail is how blue, blue, blue the water was, and motoring through the harbor. Excellent day on the Excellence. But the island tour really introduced us to Antigua and made us want to return for longer visits.

Edited by blue_water

The island tour with Lawrence is a great day seeing the highlights of Antigua. The SAS cat excursion gives you a nice tour along the coast and into English Harbor, but to really see Antigua Lawrence's tour is excellent. We enjoyed seeing Shirley Heights, the Dockyard and other interesting spots, and a couple hours at the beach made it a really nice day!

[EDIT] The thing we remember most from the cat sail is how blue, blue, blue the water was, and motoring through the harbor. Excellent day on the Excellence. But the island tour really introduced us to Antigua and made us want to return for longer visits.

Thanks for your response. Made the decision to go with Lawrence. If we ever get the chance to do another sail to Antigua it will be SAS, but I feel we will get a lot out of this (Lawrence's)tour.

Christine

Christine, not to confuse you but I asked my wife what tour she would recommend to see more of the island and she agreed the Lawrence tour would be the one. Her only comment is the ride between the different spots can be a little boring. However Lawrence does a great job in giving you information on the places you're heading to, as well as on the history of Antigua and Barbuda during the ride. So we both recommend that tour for a good look at the island. The SAS cat sail is a very relaxing day and it's nice being on the water. But for more island sightseeing and a beach stop the island tour is the way to go.

• 3 weeks later...
Christine, not to confuse you but I asked my wife what tour she would recommend to see more of the island and she agreed the Lawrence tour would be the one. Her only comment is the ride between the different spots can be a little boring. However Lawrence does a great job in giving you information on the places you're heading to, as well as on the history of Antigua and Barbuda during the ride. So we both recommend that tour for a good look at the island. The SAS cat sail is a very relaxing day and it's nice being on the water. But for more island sightseeing and a beach stop the island tour is the way to go.

Thanks again for your input. Since I committed to Lawrence, we will stay the course, but, I must say this does give me motivation to make sure we return for another visit, lol. (Like I really need any urging). I'm sure we will enjoy our time in Antigua. Thanks again,

Christine

I did not find any part of the tour with Lawrence boring. I do not even understand the comment. Too much scenery, not enough topography changes? He was delightful and very informative and showed us a beautiful island. Perhaps occasionally to get from one sight to another nothing wowed her but I do not get it.You will have a wonderful tour.

I did not find any part of the tour with Lawrence boring. I do not even understand the comment. Too much scenery, not enough topography changes? He was delightful and very informative and showed us a beautiful island. Perhaps occasionally to get from one sight to another nothing wowed her but I do not get it.You will have a wonderful tour.

Yes as in any destination some parts of the drive will not "wow" anyone, and I think most folks get that. But that's part of the deal, and as I mentioned Lawrence keeps you entertained and informed about the places you're passing and those that you are about to see. The tour is wonderful and we always highly recommend that as a way to see the island's highlights the first time. Antigua offers not only natural beauty but a rich naval history as well and Lawrence is an excellent guide.

I didn't share that we were thinking about the two different excursions and how on the Excellence there was never a lack of the "wow" factor, simply because the water was so blue and so mesmerizing. That would have helped put the "boring" in a better perspective.:)

• 2 weeks later...
How much is the Island Tour with Lawrence Tours? Is this a private tour or a bus load? if a bus load, how many people in tour?

He offers both options, we asked for private and he will give you the current pricing.

Just back from Adventure OTS & we decided to go to Valley Church Beach. It was a very beautiful beach! The water is gorgeous, the best we've ever seen. We took a taxi with another family from our ship so the taxi only cost us $8 pp each way. Otherwise it's $32 each way. We rented 2 chairs w/umbrella for $20. We rented a wave runner for $50/30 min. & had a blast! The Nest Restaurant is located here & the coconut shrimp was very good, prices were average. They offer free Wi-Fi, but we never could get connected. I highly recommend Valley Church Beach if you are looking for a great beach day.

• 1 month later...
Our favorite excursion is the Lobster Lunch Cruise with Captain Glen and Creole Cruises. If you don't mind being treated like royalty, have a guided tour of a deserted island with spectacular views, great snorkeling, a superb lunch with fresh grilled lobster and all the handmade sides, then top it off at a beach loaded with starfish, then you can't go wrong with this one.

How do I find them?

• 1 month later...

Ffryers beach came up as a good beach for the day while in Antigua. How far is it from the cruise ship and would you recommend going there. I read there are sea shells and sea glass. We collect sea glass as a hobby and would love to bring a piece or two home.

Thanks