Are there limits to carrying food on/off ship?

kt6453

Can you get pre-packaged food on the ship or do you need to bring it from home? I found out that one of the excursions we are on does not provide lunch (it's a 5 hour excursion to Monkeyland in the DR) and I am worried about the kids getting hungry. We will definitely eat a big breakfast, but we are gone from 9 till about 3.

Can you get pre-packaged food on the ship or do you need to bring it from home? I found out that one of the excursions we are on does not provide lunch (it's a 5 hour excursion to Monkeyland in the DR) and I am worried about the kids getting hungry. We will definitely eat a big breakfast, but we are gone from 9 till about 3.

You can get froot loops from the dining room (start to collect early in case they run out), you can bring from home (which I do) or you can do without. I plan on bringing a stash of prepacked food on my next cruise for my 4 small grandchildren.

I know we're going back in time a bit here, but I am a bit confused about the laws of transporting food in the USA. The OP is talking about an Alaska cruise, and numerous posters are saying that taking food off the ship is an absolute no-no - but is that true? People must travel on land from (say) Ketchikan to Skagway, and take food with them - is doing the same on a ship really a crime? And if it is a crime, is it such a bad crime?

I know we're going back in time a bit here, but I am a bit confused about the laws of transporting food in the USA. The OP is talking about an Alaska cruise, and numerous posters are saying that taking food off the ship is an absolute no-no - but is that true? People must travel on land from (say) Ketchikan to Skagway, and take food with them - is doing the same on a ship really a crime? And if it is a crime, is it such a bad crime?

Not Alaska but California.

We were embarking on a 3 day cruise out of Los Angeles (Long Beach). Ship resupplies once a week here . We were almost onboard when embarkation was stopped (for 6 hours) because some pax on the previous cruise never left the ship. (It was discovered that they left on a sea day, shudder). No food was allowed off the ship to feed the pax, even though it gets loaded about 30 feet where we were waiting. Not a pleasant way to start vacation.

California has very stringent Agriculture rules. Many of our incoming highways have AG stops. Ports have AG dogs. You do not want the cute dog sitting next to you. One actually alerted on my lemon candy once.

About 20 years ago all of Southern California was under restriction because of the Mediterranean Fruit Fly. No backyard produce could be moved past a very small radius (measured in feet, not miles). We were sprayed with Malathion by helicopter crop dusters. All animals were to be brought in, everything outside either put away or wrapped up. Windows closed, air conditioning turned off (it was summertime). After the third time I became proficient in wrapping the swing set.

Please follow the laws of the land. Invasive species wreck havoc on ecosystems. Right now we're battling the Asian Psylliad. It even has its own website.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app