Brooklyn Cruise Terminal As Port Of Call

Teddy123

About to visit BCT (twice) as a port of call on a Queen Mary 2 cruise Southampton - NY - Quebec, and back again. I've read the helpful stuff here - thanks to everyone who has contributed - but would welcome some additional/up to date info about visiting Manhattan (from Central Park south) while in BCT for the day - so no heavy luggage.

In particular:

I understand a walk to Carroll St subway station might be the best public transport option (a better walk than to 9th/Smith and I prefer to walk to a subway because of fear of missing the stop to get off a 61 bus! - or is it very clear?). Can I get a MetroCard at the subway station? The MTA website says The Check Cashing Place across Carroll Park sells them, is this the best option? Anything else I should know about the card or getting in by public transport?

Cunard say they can't tell me what options they will offer until after we sail - very helpful! I have read of a return transfer to Macey's being offered but would welcome up to date info from anybody who has travelled recently.

Booking a car (eg with Dial 7 - any other recommendations?) is attractive but I have no real idea what time to book it for. Any experience of when I might get off the ship if it's just a port of call? Cunard say we should arrive at 06.30. I assume immigration is still involved even though disembarking luggage isn't. Should I also think about booking a car back? This would be somewhat constraining but I read horror stories of huge taxi bills because the cab is stuck in traffic from embarking passengers. Of course, I could possibly get the subway back, or perhaps even walk it over the Brooklyn Bridge.

Lots of questions! but any answers or other input to help smooth the way to/from Manhattan would be much appreciated. Thanks.

The walk to either one of the two ("nearest") subway stations is about 1.5 mile or 30 minutes, so that's one hour's worth of travel time + subway time to get into Manhattan, and, then back (add another 30+ minutes each direction) - a frugal way to travel but time-management wise, not so much.

Besides Central Park South, what other landmarks & tourist sites are on your bucket list for this 8 to 10 hours port stop ?? Are you traveling solo or with spouse/partner - or have 3 or possibly 4 going together to spend the day in the city ? If you timed your schedule for the B61 bus connection to the subway, your feet will thank you. MetroCards are sold at automated self-service kiosk at all subway train stations, also at many participating deli stores, newstands & even pharmacies - look for the MTA/MetroCard logo displayed (none of them close to the BCT, however ... sorry) - credit cards accepted at most kiosks.

As for walking across the Brooklyn Bridge and then all the rest of the way back to the ship, it's a long one so comfortable walking shoes are a must, assuming you are physically good to do it - easily over 1+ hours from downtown Manhattan/City Hall area.

Otherwise, you might want to consider booking Dial7 or Carmel car service - your ride/trip will be based on a flat, confirmed rate quote - and inexpensive especially if shared with 3 or 4 passengers (it will fit 4 nicely without luggage). As an example, you can use the car service to take you into downtown Manhattan, i.e. 9/11 Memorial area or Staten Island Ferry terminal (it's free) & sightsee downtown - fares will be less & quicker, maybe 20 minutes if going by the Battery Tunnel with the extra $8 cash toll ($5.54 if EZ-Pass). Then, you can buy the MetroCard (4 people can share it) to go uptown to Times Square or Macy's 34th Street, and, then return to Brooklyn toward the end of the day.

Lots of possibilities once we are a little bit more clear on your "to do/see" list for the day.

Edited by mking8288

Thanks for the response. It'll be my wife and I, and we're used to walking fairly long distances so 30 minutes to the subway (which is what I expected from Google) isn't too bad. Still, I'm now thinking that perhaps I will try for a taxi first, and if we can't get one for some reason, go for the subway. That way we retain flexibility over timing for both getting to Manhattan and back, which neither a Cunard transfer nor a pre-booked car allow. I think you're right about walking back over the bridge being a bit ambitious though!