email recvd from ccl on zika in GT

cruzn buckeye

They're at the beginning stages of controlling Zika thru breeding.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/05/health/fda-approve-gmo-mosquito-zika-florida/index.html

Males are specially bred to produce offspring that die before reaching adulthood. A similar process has been used in Southern California to control the Mediterranean Fruit Fly for almost two decades.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by SadieN

True, but the person above who stated it's been "found" in all but three states of the contiguous 48 did not specify it was locally transmitted. Perhaps the word "found" is a little vague - "reported" might be a better term. :confused:

Kind of a false scare though stating the way it was stated. The actual mosquito that carries the Zika virus has not been found in any other US location but Florida. People have contracted the virus while traveling out of the country and now have the virus in their home state.

Kind of a false scare though stating the way it was stated. The actual mosquito that carries the Zika virus has not been found in any other US location but Florida. People have contracted the virus while traveling out of the country and now have the virus in their home state.

According to the article in post 15 the specific mosquito is primarily along the Gulf Coast, including New Orleans.

But, you are right, that mosquitos carrying Zika are only found in Florida. For now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by SadieN

I would be contacting my doctor and my pediatrician instead of asking on a social media website.

Why on earth would anyone trust 100% in answers given here? It's the same way with legal questions.

P.S. - I'm not a doctor, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so . . . :rolleyes:

no kidding!!!

I always ask my doctor for cruise advise :)

Good info. Thank you for sharing it.

You're welcome. OKgirl shared a link above to the CDC website that appears to be even more recent than the one I shared in terms of states reporting confirmed cases of Zika infection.

From what I understand about Zica, it only remains in the bloodstream approximately 3 days and most people have no symptons at all. I can't see even if you or your daughter did get infected, it would affect the children as it would be out of your system before you got home. And, they have not mentioned Zika being a threat to children, mostly a threat to unborn children whose mother's got infected. I realize there are dangers but I also think it is being blown out of proportion. I live in florida so, believe me, we are being bombarded daily with info.

Pat

Wrong. Couples should not attempt a pregnancy for 6 months if having been in an area known/or suspected of having been in a zika infected area. Men should always wear a condom for up to 8 weeks if he is known to have been in a zika infected area. there is no certainty as to how long it may remain in the bloodstream.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/health/what-is-zika-virus.html?_r=0

To the OP's concern for the children: there is no evidence of any casual infection.

And yes, it has been found in all but a very few states. In mosquito populations. Just not widespread in humans. Or rather not diagnosed.

• 2 weeks later...