Hotel within and hour drive to NCL Manhattan pier

orion7144

We will be driving from Cincinnati the day before our cruise on 19th of November. We will be in a wheelchair accessible mini van. Looking for ideas on areas where to stay within an hour drive of the pier on Sunday morning. Hopefully the weather is ok and we can walk around a bit when we get there. I expect we will arrive before 6pm on that Saturday.

Thanks

They're are many. The further out you go the cheaper it becomes. NYC Was about $300, Jersey City and Elizabeth come in at around $200 then about an hour out is $100. It all depends on where you are driving in from. Could you give us your route or town you'd be driving thru? It's a very populated area, with many choices.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here's a recent thread started by another person driving from Cincinnati:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2401230

However, just as in the referenced thread, without knowing the specifics of your route it's not possible to give you a sensible recommendation. Regardless I would be unlikely to suggest coming as far as Elizabeth or Jersey City, because you should be able to find something much cheaper (and more easily accommodating your wheelchair accessible van) a little further out in more suburban areas.

Here's a recent thread started by another person driving from Cincinnati:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2401230

However, just as in the referenced thread, without knowing the specifics of your route it's not possible to give you a sensible recommendation. Regardless I would be unlikely to suggest coming as far as Elizabeth or Jersey City, because you should be able to find something much cheaper (and more easily accommodating your wheelchair accessible van) a little further out in more suburban areas.

Absolutely - can't give you good advice without the route. Options are NJ Turnpike (I95), I78, or I80. The suggested stopping points about an hour away are all different.

According to mapquest it looks like we will be coming in on I-78

According to mapquest it looks like we will be coming in on I-78

What's your budget? How many people? King, Queen, double beds? Can I assume you require an accessible room?

Preferably a Hilton property. Not necessary for an accessible room since it will be only 1 night. King bed. `$100 if it is just to stay the night or a little higher if close to a nice area to visit. I am guessing since we wont be in till around 6PM and it is approaching winter that there wont be much to do but get a good night sleep and be ready for a great vacation ;)

Preferably a Hilton property. Not necessary for an accessible room since it will be only 1 night. King bed. `$100 if it is just to stay the night or a little higher if close to a nice area to visit. I am guessing since we wont be in till around 6PM and it is approaching winter that there wont be much to do but get a good night sleep and be ready for a great vacation ;)

Is Marriott OK? Hiltons are either a number of miles out of your way or well over your budget. My sense is that by the time you get to the area, you are going to just want to get off the highway and into a hotel without driving all over looking for it.

Edited by 138east

That would work. Also a bit out of the way, but it opens up the opportunity to take I80 east across the George Washington Bridge and down the Henry Hudson Parkway to the pier, which means no significant local street driving in NYC.

My personal experience with the GW into NYC on a Sunday morning has been excellent. Take the upper bridge, get in the right lane, and take the Henry Hudson parkway/West Side highway, which ends at the Cruiseport.

• 1 month later...

Hello! We are from Cincinnati also, and just took a cruise from this port a few weeks ago. We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in Ridgefield Park, New Jersey. I booked a park and cruise package, which included the hotel, cab ride to and from the Manhatten pier, and breakfast at the hotel. It was perfect for us, and very convenient!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This embassy has a similar deal but since my daughter is in a wheelchair it is kind of hard and more expensive to get to and from the port.

Hello! We are from Cincinnati also, and just took a cruise from this port a few weeks ago. We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in Ridgefield Park, New Jersey. I booked a park and cruise package, which included the hotel, cab ride to and from the Manhatten pier, and breakfast at the hotel. It was perfect for us, and very convenient!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This embassy has a similar deal but since my daughter is in a wheelchair it is kind of hard and more expensive to get to and from the port.

ADA requires that they provide accessible transportation for her, if they provide transportation at all, and at the same price. They may require advance notice to make those arrangements, though.

We also stayed a the Hilton Garden Inn and had a wonderful experience. The hotel with breakfast and shuttle cost us a little less than it would have cost to part at the port. DH travels with a mobility scooter and they were able to accommodate that with a van, but he is ambulatory. I don't know what her specific ambulation needs are.