Taxi/cab to P. Everglades, larger car for big family

MaiseyM

I need some help or ideas. We are a family of five so the smaller taxis don't fit all of our luggage. I need a van or big car to pick us up from FLL hotel and take us to the port and another transport at the end of the cruise. I need one to pick me up at Port everglade and take me to the airport. I didn't plan well last time and paid the price for not planning. What are some options that I have for bigger cars to taxi us around? Tia.

There are van and SUV cabs that charge the same fare as a standard cab - just wait for them to work their way up to the front of the line.

UberXL will cost a little more but should work for your family.

Your other option is to split into two taxis - fare for each from PW to FLL should be about $15+

We stood outside waiting for a cab and all the cabs were traditional yellow taxis One driver had a big SUV. I can't recall what the fare was, but it was pretty outrageous b/c he only had to drive us a few blocks to the car rental agency. We talked him down a bit in price. Granted, we could have continued to wait (he assured us we wouldn't' find anything :roll eyes:). Since we were new at this, we just took his rate and overpaid for it. It wasn't the end of the world, but I knew there were better rates out there if I would have planned better. I think it was something like $75 to drive a few blocks. He spoke very poorly of Uber~ but probably all based on competition... I don't mine Uber. If I plan better, I imagine I can get a better rate.

So, if I get off the ship, go through customs, you think I can request an Uber to Port Everglades with a big SUV? The guy that drove us last time told us Uber wasn't allowed to pull in to that area.

I could do the two taxi option too, but would rather stick together as a family if possible.

....Since we were new at this, we just took his rate and overpaid for it. It wasn't the end of the world, but I knew there were better rates out there if I would have planned better...

Well, I won't admonish you but indeed, had you researched it, you would have found that cabs in Fort Lauderdale are on the meter - there is no flat rate, and there is no difference for a van or a sedan. We have taken both kinds of vehicles, and all times we were on the meter.

I'm sorry this happened to you. If it happens again or you feel you have been ripped off/are begin ripped off, take a picture of his operator's license inside the car and his license plate. There are avenues to report fraud such as this.

Can't help you with the Uber questions. :(

Uber is allowed at both Port Everglades and FLL. As mentioned previously, with 5 passengers plus bags you will need Uber XL - or split up into two Ubers or two cabs if you don't wan tot wait for an SUV/mini-van taxi.

When using a taxi I always take a picture of the cab # and driver info; if questioned I mention that it is "Just in case I forget something." Knowing that you have a record of the trip should encourage most drivers to treat you honestly.

Have a good cruise!

Uber is allowed at both Port Everglades and FLL. As mentioned previously, with 5 passengers plus bags you will need Uber XL - or split up into two Ubers or two cabs if you don't wan tot wait for an SUV/mini-van taxi.

When using a taxi I always take a picture of the cab # and driver info; if questioned I mention that it is "Just in case I forget something." Knowing that you have a record of the trip should encourage most drivers to treat you honestly.

Have a good cruise!

So can you request an Uberxl that will accommodate 6 people with luggage???

Even the xl on the uber website shows it to be just a standard suv.

Thank you. It's totally my own fault for overpaying since I didn't prepare. I don't think the guy I used was a traditional taxi. He seemed more like a private service, so he may have had more flexibility in how much he can comment. Not sure. My own fault. I 'll have to master the Uber XL next time. Thank you.

CAM Transport Service (954-226-3791)has nice, new gray vans that can hold up 10-13 people & they can attach a luggage trailer if needed. We stayed at a Courtyard in Platation Fl & the hotel was actually using this company because their shuttles were out of service. So, that tells you how good they are. I took their business card because I will be using them exclusively from now on. They don't drive you all around the city dropping off other passangers. They pride themselves in taking you directly to your drop off destination. I loved that!:)