Which Cruise Line

Weetzie

If you were planning a family cruise for 3 families, (2 adults + 2 children (4 & 2), 2 adults + 2 children (2 & 6 months), 2 Adults) which cruise line would you suggest for a 5 day cruise? My sibling is trying to plan a cruise and since I don't have children I don't know what to suggest. Without a lot of information I'm not sure whether they are looking for a line with good 'camps' for children, or one that is family friendly.

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

I'm going to guess the replies will favor Carnival, Royal Caribbean & Disney. I would suggest Disney, but be prepared for Di$ney.

All depends on the budget. I would also throw in Princess (for 7 days - they have gotten away from shorter cruises) - my son loves their kids programs. Also - a 5 day cruise on CCL is pushing the possibility of a party cruise depending on where and when you are traveling. If for example it is over a long holiday weekend like Memorial Day, I would be lots of drinking adults. A four day would be a guarantee. For a more family cruise, you could do a 7 day on Carnival for possibly less than 5 days on RCI.

I would start by looking into the kids club options on the various lines and seeing what is available for the ages of the kids. Most lines kids programs start at 3, but some lines (RCCL, DCL, NCL) have a for fee "nursery" option for younger kids (not necessarily on all ships). I've never sailed Carnival, but I believe their regular kids club starts at age 2.

Also, cruise lines generally have a minimum age (usually 6 months) so make sure that 6 month old will actually beyond 6 months at the time of sailing.

Look into the cabin sleeping arrangements for the kids. Often the 3rd/4th berths are pullman beds that drop down from the wall/ceiling. That will probably work for a 4yr old, but maybe not 2yr olds. Cruise lines have portable cribs for infants/toddlers, but they take up a lot of your cabin floor space.

Looking for a 5 day cruise could limit your options quite a bit depending on where you are wanting to go, time of year, and what port you want to sail from. The majority of short cruises are 3-4 days or 7 days.

Disney is our favorite with the kids by far, but they are definitely more expensive - often a lot more expensive. Prices are better if you get away from the main school break times. They do some 5 day Caribbean itineraries, but not a ton.

After Disney I would look at Royal Caribbean, NCL, and Carnival.

• 4 weeks later...

RCI, Carnival, Celebrity all have good kid's clubs. Also Disney, but it's pricey.

Carnival is the only one where all ship's take under 3 year olds...so research that if you choose RCI or Celebrity.

No ship allows diapered people in POOLS....some ships have "splash zones" for the diapered set, but not all...again...do your research, if that's important to you!