Berlin

Schönefeld is their main airport and the newer of the two.

Tegel, is to be closed at some point. It's the original airport and was the hub during the east- west divid.

So either.... Or....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Wellard

The main airport for Berlin is Tegel (TXL) and most carriers are there including all North American carriers. The only other airport with commercial service is Schonefeld (SXF), the old East Berlin airport, which is only served by a few European discount airlines. A new airport, Brandenburg, has been built to replace both. It its opening keeps getting delayed. Flying to the U.S., you will almost certainly need to use Tegel unless Brandenburg opens by then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by lstone19
Added more

Just to warn you, Tegel airport is *tiny!*. Don't go expecting any sort of facilities, shopping etc. I think there's a small stall that sells coffee and pastries and that's about it!

I've never been there but Tegel's website lists 21 restaurants. I believe it is the 4th busiest airport in Germany (behind Frankfurt, Munich, and Dusseldorf (and well ahead of Schonefeld, Berlin's other airport). Hardly tiny.

I've never been there but Tegel's website lists 21 restaurants. I believe it is the 4th busiest airport in Germany (behind Frankfurt, Munich, and Dusseldorf (and well ahead of Schonefeld, Berlin's other airport). Hardly tiny.

Well I have been there (many times) and I think the disconnect is that there is more than one departure terminal, and the one we use (which would be for continental Europe flights) is (I assure you) as described. But it might be that the other terminal buildings are larger.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Tegel is way too small for the passenger load it now serves. A lot of those 21 "restaurants" will be essentially kiosks, as are many of the shops :)

Just to warn you, Tegel airport is *tiny!*. Don't go expecting any sort of facilities, shopping etc. I think there's a small stall that sells coffee and pastries and that's about it!
Well I have been there (many times) and I think the disconnect is that there is more than one departure terminal, and the one we use (which would be for continental Europe flights) is (I assure you) as described. But it might be that the other terminal buildings are larger.
So basically, it's simply not true that Tegel airport is that tiny. It sounds like only the tiny bit of the airport that you ever use is tiny. That's really not helpful advice.

For everyone else, Tegel is a very busy airport whose buildings are compact in design. There are shops, restaurants and all the other facilities you'd expect from a busy international airport, even if they don't have as much space to use as comparable facilities elsewhere might. And if your flight is using a gate in the hexagon (now identified as A gates), you'll get the full benefit of the compact design which many frequent flyers love: there is very little walking either on arrival or departure because the linear distance from aircraft to landside is very small.

I hope nobody is holding their breath either waiting for Tegel to close or for Brandenburg to open. There's even a chance that the latter will never happen, with the building being demolished without it ever going into service.