Visiting Canada before NJ to Canada/New England Cruise

lucymorgan

Hi

We are Aussies taking a cruise from NJ (flying into and out of NYC) to Canada and New England in September and we have about two weeks before the cruise to tour.

Originally we were planning to go South to visit a number of US states but we are now considering going up to Canada before the cruise and I'd love any tips or suggestions about what to visit. We will probably spend a few days in NYC as we really like it (and its Jazz clubs).

We have previously caught the train from NYC to Niagara (and around the North East of USA). I've been to Ottawa (for work) but DH hasn't. We've also been to British Columbia as part of an Alaskan cruise from Seattle.

I'd love to hear suggestions that don't duplicate the cruise. (Our ports of call on the cruise are: Cape Liberty, New Jersey;Boston, Massachusetts;Portland, Maine;Bar Harbor, Maine;Saint John, New Brunswick;Halifax, Nova Scotia)

Thanks

Edited by lucymorgan

^Seconded - and also Quebec City, the most spectacularly historic city on the continent. For efficiency, see if you can change your inbound flight to YYZ - then you wouldn't need to double-back on yourselves. Aside from your Jazz interest (lots of good clubs in Montreal, also Toronto) is there anything else in particular that you like to do/see/eat - or avoid?

Hi

We are Aussies taking a cruise from NJ (flying into and out of NYC) to Canada and New England in September and we have about two weeks before the cruise to tour.

Originally we were planning to go South to visit a number of US states but we are now considering going up to Canada before the cruise and I'd love any tips or suggestions about what to visit. We will probably spend a few days in NYC as we really like it (and its Jazz clubs).

We have previously caught the train from NYC to Niagara (and around the North East of USA). I've been to Ottawa (for work) but DH hasn't. We've also been to British Columbia as part of an Alaskan cruise from Seattle.

I'd love to hear suggestions that don't duplicate the cruise. (Our ports of call on the cruise are: Cape Liberty, New Jersey;Boston, Massachusetts;Portland, Maine;Bar Harbor, Maine;Saint John, New Brunswick;Halifax, Nova Scotia)

Thanks

I did read your post and your asked for suggestions in Canada which I am not offering. If you have time, Washington DC is an easy train train from NYC. The Smithsonian museums are free and their Metro system is easy to use. The phone lines do seem to disconnect abruptly though (at least for Aussies).:D

I did read your post and your asked for suggestions in Canada which I am not offering. If you have time, Washington DC is an easy train train from NYC. The Smithsonian museums are free and their Metro system is easy to use. The phone lines do seem to disconnect abruptly though (at least for Aussies).:D

Thanks meadowlander. We have been to Washington DC quite a few times both for work and for pleasure :)

Our city (Canberra) has some similarities but is much much smaller :)

I don't understand. Only the June 27th cruise is visiting the ports you indicated. Both of the Sep cruises include Quebec as a port.

So, if you have two weeks prior to departing on the cruise and it does not include Quebec, I would certainly visit Quebec City.

I would fly into Quebec, spend a few days, travel down to NYC and spend several days (including day trips to Philadelphia and Long Island), then embark on the cruise in Bayonne. Fly home from NY.

Alternately, I would fly into Quebec, spend a few days, travel to Montreal and Toronto and then to NY. Finish a few days there and embark on the cruise in Bayonne, fly home from NY.

Seems silly to fly into NY just to travel to Canada only to return to NY and then travel north on the cruise again.

We have friends in Toronto that we visited last summer for their wedding. First, we LOVED Toronto. A true destination that would be easy to fly into. Spend a couple of days there.

Then we rented a car and drove north to Ottawa. The drive through the Lakes area was fantastic. Would do it again in a minute. Spent two nights in Ottawa and that was plenty. Also, if you haven't been to Niagara, that's a must and not just the falls. Don't miss the wineries nearby (great restaurants) as well as the village.

Jim