Rent Kayaks Juneau

Hsmama

This looks like an interesting option,depending on the weather. I have been looking at Alaska Boat and Kayak Shop, they offer rentals for DIY paddling..... anyone experience this? Where should I be looking? We aren't die hard paddlers, but I think my family might enjoy a couple of hours doing this- my question is where do you kayak? (with a rental) and are there options?

can't say that I've ever seen a trip report that mentioned kayaking in Juneau. Ketchikan is most often mentioned.

(When I responded to yesterday's thread about what to do in 'Seward for a day', I included a trip report with photos of Tracy Arm. That trip report also has photos of their kayak trip in Ketchikan )

I've kayaked guided out of Auke Bay to Channel Islands and also up to Mendenhall Glacier, non guided. I used a different vendor who now, does NOT offer self guided kayaking on Mendenhall Lake.

All these areas are scenic. If you don't have a lot of experience, going guided may be a better option.

Another thumbs up for Above and Beyond. We did a self-guided kayaking excursion at Mendenhall in 2011. I'm assuming they still offer this choice. They picked us up at the cruiseship dock, took us to their building at Auke Bay where we were suited up and helped to load the kayaks, then driven to Mendenhall Lake (I think we were dropped off at the Skater's Cabin, if memory serves me....). We then paddled thru the bergie bits and icebergs of all shapes and sizes toward the waterfall and the glacier's face. Warned to stay away from the one side of an island due to nesting birds that weren't adverse to dive bombing you if you got to close, others didn't heed the warning and they were under siege by the angry mamma birds. We had a wonderful time -despite the rain. Getting up close (but not too close!) to those huge blocks of blue, blue ice was just overwhelming. Thoroughly enjoyable and well worth the cost if such an excursion is still offered by A&B - I'd check out their website to see if it is an option. Enjoy!

Another thumbs up for Above and Beyond. We did a self-guided kayaking excursion at Mendenhall in 2011. I'm assuming they still offer this choice. They picked us up at the cruiseship dock, took us to their building at Auke Bay where we were suited up and helped to load the kayaks, then driven to Mendenhall Lake (I think we were dropped off at the Skater's Cabin, if memory serves me....). We then paddled thru the bergie bits and icebergs of all shapes and sizes toward the waterfall and the glacier's face. Warned to stay away from the one side of an island due to nesting birds that weren't adverse to dive bombing you if you got to close, others didn't heed the warning and they were under siege by the angry mamma birds. We had a wonderful time -despite the rain. Getting up close (but not too close!) to those huge blocks of blue, blue ice was just overwhelming. Thoroughly enjoyable and well worth the cost if such an excursion is still offered by A&B - I'd check out their website to see if it is an option. Enjoy!

Out dated information. Above and Beyond Mendenhall Lake trips are now all guided.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently contacted Above and Beyond to do a self-guided kayak tour on Mendenhall Lake while we were going to be there in early May. BudgetQueen is correct, they no longer offer this option, even though it is still listed on one of their websites. No one has permits available for commercial self-guided tours on the lake anymore. You can rent a kayak from Above and Beyond and, as long as you have transportation, you can load kayaks up yourself and kayak on the lake going thru the park itself for fees, etc. However if you don't have a car rented this won't really be an option. They did offer pads and straps as well as assistance with loading kayaks at their shop.

thanks for that info...good to know- we do have a car rental,I wonder how feasible it would be to get the kayaks there ourselves? I wouldn't want to damage the rental car....

Call them direct and inquire. Then perhaps, look for that particular vehicle. Likely better option is from the airport, but then, that transportation involved.

You are renting from Juneau Car Rental. Also call them direct and see if any vehicle they have will allow it?