Heading to the beach

beachbum53

On the day we'll be in St. Maarten, ours will be one of five ships in port. The beaches will undoubtedly be packed. We're planning on going to Orient Beach. Based on what I've read, we should probably plan on heading to the beach by about 9:00 a.m. (at the latest) if we want to get there before it becomes standing room only. Does this sound like a fair estimate?

I agree with getting off the ship as early as possible, but mainly so that you maximize your beach time. Remember that a lot of the people getting off the ships here will be going on a tour or such first.

Agree that it will probably be busy, but Orient is a big beach, with a lot of options, and with five ships all of the bars/restaurants will have all of their chairs set up.

It's not going to become 'standing room only' as there is a lot of open space in areas where you can just throw out a towel onto the sand.

gary

p.s. I'll throw out here that we really like Orange Fever.

Hey Tim remember me? Thinking about skipping my Bernards Tour since I went with them last year and go to Orient

Hello Ray! Right now, our plans at St. Maarten are tentative. I realize that with five ships in port, it'll be crowded pretty much anywhere we go, especially the beaches. It'll make us appreciate our week at Hilton Head when we go there later this year.

I agree with getting off the ship as early as possible, but mainly so that you maximize your beach time. Remember that a lot of the people getting off the ships here will be going on a tour or such first.

Agree that it will probably be busy, but Orient is a big beach, with a lot of options, and with five ships all of the bars/restaurants will have all of their chairs set up.

It's not going to become 'standing room only' as there is a lot of open space in areas where you can just throw out a towel onto the sand.

gary

p.s. I'll throw out here that we really like Orange Fever.

This will be our first time at St. Maarten. I've seen photos and videos posted of Orient and a few of the other beaches there. With five ships in port when we'll be there, I have no doubt the beaches will be a lot more crowded than we're used to at other places we've been. And, we'd prefer to get a couple of lounge chairs as opposed to sitting on beach towels on the sand. We're not as agile as we were 20 years ago.

Again, if you head to Orient around 9:00 you'll be more than fine.

When we're staying on the island we usually get there just before 10:00 and there are MANY choices.

At 9:00, some of the places may not even have all of their chairs out. It WILL become more crowded, but you'll be set.

gary

Hello Ray! Right now, our plans at St. Maarten are tentative. I realize that with five ships in port, it'll be crowded pretty much anywhere we go, especially the beaches. It'll make us appreciate our week at Hilton Head when we go there later this year.

Five ships are not unusual. We had 6 in port last month and when we got to Orient about 10:00, it was probably 15-20% full, much higher by noon. Never really hits full capacity

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Grand Case beach is a good option if you are looking to get away from the cruise crowds.