Melbourne Small Tour Options

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:28 PM.
Minnesota
53 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
My husband and I will be in Melbourne November 18, 2017 from 8am to 6pm, we are cruising with Holland America.
We would love suggestions for local tour operators and what to see and do. Thank You! Mary
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
317 Posts
Joined Jun 2003
Hi marynsteve
You asked about tours in Melbourne. My suggestion for a day in Melbourne would be to take the light rail in to the city and board the free hop on hop off bus which goes to many of Melbourne's atractions ie the Melbourne Cricket Ground for a tour and the National Sports Museum, the Arts Centre and National Gallery, Federation Square including the Ian Potter gallery of Australian art, Melbourne Museum etc etc. Other nearby attractions are Old Melbourne Gaol (guided tours available), Melbourne Star observation wheel, Eureka Tower for a bird's eye view of Melbourne, the Shrine, botanical gardens (bus tour is very good), the Aquarium, Southgate etc. If you would like more details about any of these places, just ask!
Lesley and Des
Pennsylvania
1,820 Posts
Joined Sep 2009
Hi Leslie & Wes!

I have a challenge for you. Our visit to Melbourne on the Maasdam is on Christmas Day. The free bus doesn't run, in fact many places are closed.

Any suggestions to make the most of our one day visit to Melbourne on Christmas is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Arie
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
284 cruising days and counting! (164 HAL, 71 'X', 49 others)

Past Cruises: (star ratings reflect our opinion of the on-board experience, not the port calls!)
2017: April/May - HAL Veendam - 15 Day Atlantic Coast ***1/2
2016: June/July - Caribbean Princess - British Isles ****/ Oct/Nov - Koningsdam inaugural trans-Atlantic**1/2
2015: May - HAL Zuiderdam Mediterranean Explorer **** / Aug/Sept - HAL Statendam 14 day Alaska Explorer **** / Dec/Jan - HAL Zaandam 21 day South America & Antarctica Explorer *****
2014: Feb - HAL Westerdam Eastern Caribbean ****1/2 / May/June - HAL Prinsendam Kiel Canal and Baltics **** / Oct - HAL Westerdam Panama Canal 15 days ***** / Celebrity Reflection Christmas in the Caribbean ***1/2
2013: Jan - HAL Zuiderdam Panama Canal Sunfarer **** / April - Viking Skadi "Tulips & Windmills" *** / Oct/Nov - Celebrity Constellation to Turkey & Greece ****
2012: Jan - HAL Eurodam to Eastern Caribbean ****1/2 / May - HAL Ryndam to the Fjords & North Cape ****1/2 / Sept/Oct - Celebrity Summit to Canada & Maine **
2011: Jan - Crown Princess to Western Caribbean ** / Mar - HAL Westerdam to Southern Caribbean ***** / Oct/Nov - Celebrity Solstice to Western Mediterranean ***1/2
2010: Feb - Celebrity Century to Key West & Grand Cayman ****1/2 / May - Celebrity Summit to Bermuda ***1/2 / Oct/Nov - Celebrity Infinity through the Panama Canal *****
2009: Aug - HAL Amsterdam to Alaska ***** / Nov - HAL Ryndam to Western Caribbean (central America) ****
1986: NCL Starward to Western Caribbean / 1988: NCL Starward to Southern Caribbean
1985: Commodore Cruise Line - Caribe to Eastern Caribbean
317 Posts
Joined Jun 2003
Hi Arie,
Yes, a bit of a challenge, but give me a day or two to get back to you with some suggestions. I am away from home until tomorrow evening, but can answer you better then.
Cheers, Lesley

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Forums mobile app
317 Posts
Joined Jun 2003
Hi Arie,
Just to let you know that on Christmas Day in Melbourne, the following will be open -
the Melbourne Star Observation Wheel, the Eureka Tower, the Aquarium, the Zoo, the Botanical Gardens (but the information centre and tour bookings will be closed), Federation Square, and some of the Southgate cafes.
I can give you more details if any of these attractions appeal to you.
Also - on Christmas Day public transport is free.
Melbourne's weather around Christmas is a bit unpredictable, but a picnic lunch and swim at the beach would be a novel Christmas Day activity for you, I would imagine!
I hope this helps,
Lesley
Pennsylvania
1,820 Posts
Joined Sep 2009
Thank you Leslie!

One of the friends we are cruising with found this site which confirms your information: http://www.onlymelbourne.com.au/open...y#.WT6YVE3rthH

Believe we may do the aquarium and the skydeck. Normally wouldn't choose that when visiting (what to us is an exotic) port, but we will make the best of what is available!

Thanks again!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
284 cruising days and counting! (164 HAL, 71 'X', 49 others)

Past Cruises: (star ratings reflect our opinion of the on-board experience, not the port calls!)
2017: April/May - HAL Veendam - 15 Day Atlantic Coast ***1/2
2016: June/July - Caribbean Princess - British Isles ****/ Oct/Nov - Koningsdam inaugural trans-Atlantic**1/2
2015: May - HAL Zuiderdam Mediterranean Explorer **** / Aug/Sept - HAL Statendam 14 day Alaska Explorer **** / Dec/Jan - HAL Zaandam 21 day South America & Antarctica Explorer *****
2014: Feb - HAL Westerdam Eastern Caribbean ****1/2 / May/June - HAL Prinsendam Kiel Canal and Baltics **** / Oct - HAL Westerdam Panama Canal 15 days ***** / Celebrity Reflection Christmas in the Caribbean ***1/2
2013: Jan - HAL Zuiderdam Panama Canal Sunfarer **** / April - Viking Skadi "Tulips & Windmills" *** / Oct/Nov - Celebrity Constellation to Turkey & Greece ****
2012: Jan - HAL Eurodam to Eastern Caribbean ****1/2 / May - HAL Ryndam to the Fjords & North Cape ****1/2 / Sept/Oct - Celebrity Summit to Canada & Maine **
2011: Jan - Crown Princess to Western Caribbean ** / Mar - HAL Westerdam to Southern Caribbean ***** / Oct/Nov - Celebrity Solstice to Western Mediterranean ***1/2
2010: Feb - Celebrity Century to Key West & Grand Cayman ****1/2 / May - Celebrity Summit to Bermuda ***1/2 / Oct/Nov - Celebrity Infinity through the Panama Canal *****
2009: Aug - HAL Amsterdam to Alaska ***** / Nov - HAL Ryndam to Western Caribbean (central America) ****
1986: NCL Starward to Western Caribbean / 1988: NCL Starward to Southern Caribbean
1985: Commodore Cruise Line - Caribe to Eastern Caribbean
Chicago area, USA
842 Posts
Joined Nov 2001
Originally posted by matilda
Hi Arie,
Just to let you know that on Christmas Day in Melbourne, the following will be open -
the Melbourne Star Observation Wheel, the Eureka Tower, the Aquarium, the Zoo, the Botanical Gardens (but the information centre and tour bookings will be closed), Federation Square, and some of the Southgate cafes.
I can give you more details if any of these attractions appeal to you.
Also - on Christmas Day public transport is free.
Melbourne's weather around Christmas is a bit unpredictable, but a picnic lunch and swim at the beach would be a novel Christmas Day activity for you, I would imagine!
I hope this helps,
Lesley
Lesley, we will not be in Melbourne on Christmas Day but I very much like your swim at the beach suggestion!
Minnesota
53 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Originally posted by matilda
Hi marynsteve
You asked about tours in Melbourne. My suggestion for a day in Melbourne would be to take the light rail in to the city and board the free hop on hop off bus which goes to many of Melbourne's atractions ie the Melbourne Cricket Ground for a tour and the National Sports Museum, the Arts Centre and National Gallery, Federation Square including the Ian Potter gallery of Australian art, Melbourne Museum etc etc. Other nearby attractions are Old Melbourne Gaol (guided tours available), Melbourne Star observation wheel, Eureka Tower for a bird's eye view of Melbourne, the Shrine, botanical gardens (bus tour is very good), the Aquarium, Southgate etc. If you would like more details about any of these places, just ask!
Lesley and Des
Thank you for the suggestions Lesley and Des! If you have recommendations for a local small tour operators, we would love. We like to do our tours with small groups, not the large coach buses the cruise ship offers. Suggestions appreciated!
Also, if you have any info on a Great Ocean Road shore excursion, with a pickup and drop off at the cruise terminal, we are very interested. Thank You! Mary & Steve
317 Posts
Joined Jun 2003
Hi Mary & Steve,
Sorry, but I don't think I can help you with shore excursions. As we live in Melbourne, we have no need of coach trips because we use our car. The only ones that I know of are with large buses. I hope you find what you are after, and that you enjoy your time in Melbourne.
From Lesley and Des
Minnesota
53 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
My husband and I will be in Melbourne November 18, 2017 from 8am to 6pm, we are cruising with Holland America.
We would love suggestions for local tour operators and what to see and do. Thank You! Mary
Texas
332 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
I haven't been there yet but booked a tour with Tours By Locals for my March 2018 cruise. You might check with them to see if they have any tours you like. We also contacted http://www.iheartmelbournetours.com.au about their tours as well.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Kansas City, MO
1,413 Posts
Joined Jan 2005
When we were in Melbourne two years ago, we walked just outside the port area to a small convenience store right next to the tram track which sold tram tickets. Purchased a ticket and rode tram 109 into town.

We then took a great free 3 hour walking tour through I'm Free Walking Tours: http://www.imfree.com.au/melbourne/
The walking tour was fun and informative.

After the walking tour we had plenty of time to explore the town and grab a tram back to the port.

We used this website to get some great information and maps prior to leaving: https://www.ptv.vic.gov.au/
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Rhapsody - Alaska (8/2001); Rhapsody - Caribbean (8/2002); Norwegian Wind - Hawaii (8/2004); Brilliance - Mediterranean (6/2005); Vision - Mexico (3/2006); Jewel - British Isles/Fjords (6/2006); Sovereign - Bahamas (3/2007); Deilmann's Chopin - Berlin to Prague (10/2007); Adventure - S. Caribbean (3/2008); Explorer - New England/CAN (7/2008); Mariner - Mexico (3/2009); Serenade - S. Caribbean (4/2011); Disney Dream - Bahamas (2/2012); Voyager - W. Caribbean (3/2012); Vision - Baltics (7/2012); Vision - So. Caribbean (12/2012); Liberty - W. Caribbean (3/2013); Enchantment - Bahamas (8/2013); Enchantment - Bahamas (1/2014); Radiance - Australia/New Zealand (2/2014); Allure - W. Caribbean (8/2014); Liberty - W. Caribbean (11/2014); Quantum - So. Caribbean (12/2014); Explorer - Spain & Med Beaches (06/2015); Enchantment - Bahamas (01/2016); Brilliance - Cozumel (03/2016); Ovation - Asia (06/2016); Explorer - S. Pacific (11/2016); Majesty - Bahamas (1/2017); Vision - British Isles (5/2017); Vision - TA (8/2017)