IMPORTANT! Credit Cards will not work in Cuba....

Kwilson51

As our cruise to Cuba is in just 6 short days, I tried to notify my credit card company(s) only to be told they will be declined in Cuba as they are still sanctioned by the US. A MC and an American Express....so just a heads up. Either plan on bringing plenty of cash to exchange or call your CC company before you go. Would love to hear if some are being excepted......thanks and Cuba, here we come!

As our cruise to Cuba is in just 6 short days, I tried to notify my credit card company(s) only to be told they will be declined in Cuba as they are still sanctioned by the US. A MC and an American Express....so just a heads up. Either plan on bringing plenty of cash to exchange or call your CC company before you go. Would love to hear if some are being excepted......thanks and Cuba, here we come!

"IMPORTANT! Credit Cards will not work in Cuba...."

Can we get any more US-centric in the headline?

Canadian and European credit and debit cards work fine.

US credit cards (companies based in US) were not authorized for use in Cuba for the longest time. When the opening of travel came about, all the US based companies promised things would change. They are NOT "still sanctioned."

The problem is at the Cuban end now, where they (banks, shops and other businesses) are not yet set up to accept most US credit cards.

If you are concerned, apply ahead of time for a Stonegate Bank (Florida) credit card, which does work in Cuba--and MAKE SURE to sign their affidavit regarding reason for Cuba travel, Without a signed affidavit, the card will be declined in Cuba.

To sum up:

Most US cards "are being excepted."

Stonegate and CDN/EU cards are being accepted.

However, in practice, you will find that very few places in Cuba accept other than cash in CUC anyway.

Cuba can end up being much more expensive than you might imagine Take 50-100% more cash than you think you might need.

Just spent 8 days in Cuba.

American Credit Cards and bank ATM cards do not work in Cuba. Don't chance relying on ANY US cards.

Also, exchanging $US into local currency incurs a 10% government tax. + exchange fees. Figure you will get about $87 of local for each 100US.

IF YOU HAPPEN TO HAVE EUROS OR CANADIAN OR POUNDS - you avoid the 10% tax on US conversions. You do better exchanging these.

Bring lots of cash.

I tried Capital One, I tried American Express and Aviator MC as well as a Citi Bank Visa...all said no.....ugh.

It's a little to late for us to ask our local bank to exchange as they said they need a week. Oh well...you gotta do what ya gotta do. I would suggest you call ahead to your own CC company just to be safe.

But no matter what...it's vacation! and it's Cuba....it is going to be a blast.

American Credit Cards and bank ATM cards do not work in Cuba. Don't chance relying on ANY US cards.

UNTRUE.

As mentioned, Stonegate Bank in Florida issues a credit card that works in Cuba for purchases, cash advance and ATM withdrawals, IF the declaration form is signed previous to travel.

Please do not make blanket statements when you do not have all the facts.

IF YOU HAPPEN TO HAVE EUROS OR CANADIAN OR POUNDS - you avoid the 10% tax on US conversions. You do better exchanging these.

Maybe if you already have extra (CDN/EURO/GBP) around from previous trips.

If you have to do an exchange at the bank at home, it is dependent on the exchange rate at the time of travel. Rates fluctuate and usually banks charge fees to exchange dollars to other currency. You don't always "do better".

(The exchange of $US to CUC, fixed by the Cuban government, does not.)

Check and do the math just before you depart.

I guess I should have stated MY credit cards won't work.....hahahah

Glad there are some options. Little to late for us but no big deal. I am sure as time goes on, things will change slowly.

Just happy to be visiting before things get more crowded.

Have a great night.

Pelican Lvr, why do I need to bring lots of cash? What on earth do you plan to buy? I am going to visit the country/city not to shop. I can shop at home.

Because when you run out, you run out, period, end of vacation. Not even another bottle of water.

And things can be much more expensive than most new tourists expect.

Just happy to be visiting before things get more crowded.

Given that most tourists seem to stay with a small few block area in the more fixed up part of Havana Vieja, eating at a few relatively expensive "listed" restaurants and drinking over-priced cocktails, that is not likely a concern

If you walk back into the neighborhood a few blocks, you usually only see local residents going about their daily lives, and maybe a few European backpackers coming and going from their casas particulares.

Because when you run out, you run out, period, end of vacation. Not even another bottle of water.

And things can be much more expensive than most new tourists expect.

Vida, If our cruise is paid for as are our tours, what might I want "lots of cash" for? I know my credit cards are useless in Cuba and I have an idea of what we will need to pay for taxi fare based on information you have supplied on previous posts and have no plans to purchase cigars or rum, so what is there that I would want to buy. I can get water on the ship and carry it with me.

Just curious.

Vida, If our cruise is paid for as are our tours, what might I want "lots of cash" for? I know my credit cards are useless in Cuba and I have an idea of what we will need to pay for taxi fare based on information you have supplied on previous posts and have no plans to purchase cigars or rum, so what is there that I would want to buy. I can get water on the ship and carry it with me.

Just curious.

Really? You're going to carry warm, heavy bottles of water around all day from the ship?

I don't know you, your interests, or your taste, so I can't say what might attract your attention. Maybe you can get away without doing anything that costs any money at all, above and beyond the pre-paid tours. The cruise line also takes care of a lot of contingencies that we independent travelers have to tackle ourselves. And it seems you don't really have a lot of time to spend in Cuba.

But my feeling is that it's better to have money available than not, and cash is it in Cuba.

I was in Cuba for longer and traveled in a different style. So...... my experience informs my words. Take 50-100% more cash than you expect to need.

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious.

Not Vida but...... The artwork is beautiful. We bought a small piece.

Our tour gave us cold water throughout the day. Except for the art, we just purchased small trinkets. Our tour included a wonderful local lunch and the guide recommended a few CUC per person as a tip. We did not use any local taxis.

I cant imagine traveling anywhere with NO money. Snit - Even if you expect not to do much shopping, I recommended cashing in at least $30-50 USD. Money exchange will buy it back with no penalty

M

• 5 weeks later...
Do Canadian credit cards work in Cuba????

Yes, if the cc company has no ties to a US company/bank.

But there are not so many places in Cuba that take them. So it is best to have cash on hand.

The reason most US based credit cards don't work in Cuba is because of the embargo on US companies trading with Cuba.

• 3 weeks later...
Really? You're going to carry warm, heavy bottles of water around all day from the ship?

I always drink warm water. No need for it to be cold to serve it's purpose. You only carry it part of the day, until you drink it!

I don't know you, your interests, or your taste, so I can't say what might attract your attention. Maybe you can get away without doing anything that costs any money at all, above and beyond the pre-paid tours. The cruise line also takes care of a lot of contingencies that we independent travelers have to tackle ourselves. And it seems you don't really have a lot of time to spend in Cuba.

I budget $75.00 per person per day, so two days is $300.00. This is basically for any International City. Now, I don't bring that much cash, assuming I need credit cards for some items, but in the case of Cuba, I will just carry that much cash, exchanging some on day one, see how it goes, and get some more for day 2.

But my feeling is that it's better to have money available than not, and cash is it in Cuba.

Besides a taxi, or some water/soda/lunch, what else is there? A few cigars, and a bottle of rum?

I was in Cuba for longer and traveled in a different style. So...... my experience informs my words. Take 50-100% more cash than you expect to need.

I can't imagine spending $600 dollars in Cuba for 2 days.

I can't imagine spending $600 dollars in Cuba for 2 days.

Well probably not on a cruise ship all-included bus tour, but for example if DIY, Day 1:

30+ CUC music show entry for 1; 20 CUC taxi to and from show; 15+ CUC dinner (no drinks) for 1; 20 CUC taxi to and from restaurant (if one of the decent ones); 10 CUC lunch for 1; 12 CUC two drinks at tourist bar; 60 CUC 2 hour classic car ride = 167 CUC = U$189

(even given the taxis and classic car would be shared between 2 people)

Doesn't cover water (Don't scoff at how extreme heat and humidity can dehydrate and exhaust; You'll want quantities of cold bottled water.), other taxi fares to and from sights, entry fees and fees to take photos at sights, souvenirs, rum, cigars, guide fees if using one, breakfast and room (up to U$700/night at the Nacional) if not on a ship, etc.

Adds up fast.