CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

We are driving from Ontario to Bayonne. We plan to stay either at a Fairfield in Parsippany or Woodbridge. Would one location be preferable in terms of accessibility to the port? (leaving our car at the port)

What is your exact cruise date? Why a Fairfield Inn specifically? Are you using Marriott points?

What is your exact cruise date? Why a Fairfield Inn specifically? Are you using Marriott points?

Sailing on Summit July 30th and using Marriott points

Parsippany 15,000

Woodbridge 10,000

25,000 plus for EWR properties.

Sailing on Summit July 30th and using Marriott points

Parsippany 15,000

Woodbridge 10,000

25,000 plus for EWR properties.

On a Sunday morning I don't think it would make any difference. You may use more gas and turnpike tolls to stay in Woodbridge, but save 5000 points.

On a Sunday morning I don't think it would make any difference. You may use more gas and turnpike tolls to stay in Woodbridge, but save 5000 points.

Does the trip from the west to Woodbridge go easier on 24 to Garden State PKWY or on 80 to 95 then south to exit 12?

Does the trip from the west to Woodbridge go easier on 24 to Garden State PKWY or on 80 to 95 then south to exit 12?

Google says 24 to Garden State. There are no tolls on this route. The other route costs $6.80.

Hello. I posted on another CC board, and this section/forum was suggested to me. I will be arriving @ Cape Liberty terminal/port with my husband who is confined to a wheelchair. In addition I will be managing a rolling walker, bipap machine, etc., so I need to be totally sure of my information! On the other forum a kind poster said that the new Cape Liberty terminal is easily assessible from the parking lot to the terminal building and via elevators directly to the gangway to the ships. I just want to make certain that this is true; I have too much to manage pushing a manual wheelchair and handling luggage, etc. Thank you for the courtesy of allowing me to post this question again here.

Hello. I posted on another CC board, and this section/forum was suggested to me. I will be arriving @ Cape Liberty terminal/port with my husband who is confined to a wheelchair. In addition I will be managing a rolling walker, bipap machine, etc., so I need to be totally sure of my information! On the other forum a kind poster said that the new Cape Liberty terminal is easily assessible from the parking lot to the terminal building and via elevators directly to the gangway to the ships. I just want to make certain that this is true; I have too much to manage pushing a manual wheelchair and handling luggage, etc. Thank you for the courtesy of allowing me to post this question again here.

I think I answered you on another thread, but here's some more info from the disabled cruise board. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2221593&highlight=%27Cape+Liberty%27

I haven't done this for 7 years and the terminal has changed since then. Last time I did it I had my mother in a transport chair, a full sized oxygen machine, a suitcase full of oxygen tubes plus regular luggage and carryons.

What is your exact cabin number (or a nearby cabin number that is not yours)? What date are you sailing?

Having sailed a number of times from the new terminal I would suggest the following:

1) Relax and bring your patience. This is a step by step process.

2) Plan to drop off your husband and everything else in front of the terminal. Wait until you can get a spot just beyond the entrance doors near the door to the enclosed outside of the terminal waiting room area.

3) Find an RCL rep and tell them you are going to need assistance with the wheelchair. There maybe a waiting list, but make sure you get on it.

4) Get your husband out of the car and into the waiting room with ALL the stuff you must carry on.

5) Check the remaining bags with the Porter.

6) Drive around the corner and park the car in the garage and walk back. At this point you should have your husband in a wheelchair, a rollator, a bipap machine, and hopefully very small carryons.

7) When you have someone to push your husband, go through security. The RCL person should be able to expedite this process as well as the actual checkin. They should stay with you to get you onto deck 5 on the ship.

8). Find a place to park your husband. Ignore the "rules" about the rooms not being open and take the rollator and bipap machine and carryons to your cabin. Your room key should be at your door, so you can lock the stuff up.

9). Find your husband again and go up to the Windjammer to have an extended lunch or settle yourselves in the Cafe 270 or the Solarium Bistro for lunch.

10) I recommend arriving at the port by 10:30 before the crush of people arrive.

Thanks for your suggestions 138east; yes you did comment on my post in the other thread. I do plan on dropping him off at the door with some of our stuff, and yes, it does require patience for this! We have a handicapped parking permit, so that should allow me to park closer. Our sail date is Aug. 13th on Celebrity Summit. We have a handicapped accessible jr. Sky Suite; I think 8121. My husband is only able to take a few steps with a rolling walker. He has ALS and is not very mobile anymore so we will actually have quite a bit of equipment with us.

I did not know I could ignore the signage on the doors which state that the staterooms are not available?! That would be great if I could take some of his rollator walker and a bag of other important equipment that I do not want to check to our stateroom and then go to lunch! Other than his wheelchair, I hope to only have one small bag with medication, documents, etc. to take to lunch!

Thank you so much for your help and suggestions!

Thanks for your suggestions 138east; yes you did comment on my post in the other thread. I do plan on dropping him off at the door with some of our stuff, and yes, it does require patience for this! We have a handicapped parking permit, so that should allow me to park closer. Our sail date is Aug. 13th on Celebrity Summit. We have a handicapped accessible jr. Sky Suite; I think 8121. My husband is only able to take a few steps with a rolling walker. He has ALS and is not very mobile anymore so we will actually have quite a bit of equipment with us.

I did not know I could ignore the signage on the doors which state that the staterooms are not available?! That would be great if I could take some of his rollator walker and a bag of other important equipment that I do not want to check to our stateroom and then go to lunch! Other than his wheelchair, I hope to only have one small bag with medication, documents, etc. to take to lunch!

Thank you so much for your help and suggestions!

I thought you were on the Anthem. Things will work differently for Summit, which is a ship I'm not familiar with. I'd post on the Celebrity boards. You should get more special treatment with a suite. I'm not one to ignore the rules, but you have a real need. Your cabin is right by the elevator and I would just pop in with your gear. The hallway doors may be closed, but they are not locked. You can be in and out in a minute,

Try to find out when the Summit usually boards. 10:30 may be too early to arrive at Cape Liberty.

Lizstas - could you provide more details? One hotel room for 4 people? Type of beds? Hotel budget? Exact dates (Sept 25-28?). What date do you have the Hilton Garden and how much is it? I'm seeing the Robert Treat in Newark for 9/25-28 for 2 queens at $104-130/room (prepaid, senior, AAA, full rate) - free parking, free breakfast, free wifi, and free shuttle to Newark Penn Station)

Your car can be both a liability and asset. You don't want to be driving and paying to park in Manhattan. However, it can be a huge asset for going to the Statue of Liberty and lower Manhattan. One of the days you drive to Liberty State Park, pay $7 to park, and go out to Ellis Island and the SOL. IMO there is no reason to prepay tickets unless you are trying to go up the base or to the crown. You can return to Manhattan and walk to the 911 Memorial area and return to Liberty State Park on the ferry ($7/pp - http://www.libertylandingferry.com/ last weeknight ferry at 8:45 pm)

Another really good area to look for hotels is Harmon Meadows in Secaucus. Good bus and train options to Manhattan and free parking. You can still drive to Liberty State Park for the SOL as well as the Port. This is a more suburban-like area than downtown Newark.

If you can guide me I would appreciate it...once I have a plan I can let some of these rooms go! My parents are 80, my husband and I are in our 50's. We are driving and can add time to sightsee in New York if needed. We are leaving Chicago area the weekend prior to the cruise and thought we would drive through some of the East coast states we won't hit on our cruise. Looking forward to this trip with them and I know poor planning can cost us valuable time. I sincerely appreciate your guidance.

We will be sharing one room and prefer a Hilton property and sharing the room stretches that budget. I have Hilton Garden Inn Staten Island $148 a night 9/26-9/28 (but read somewhere not a good choice) I have Hampton Inn Parsippany $189 same 2 nights; Hilton Garden Inn Time Square my mistake have 1 night not 2 9/26 only at $290 parking included. We qualify for AAA, AARP, Senior Rates. We prefer queen beds but see that isn't an option at many hotels.

If you can guide me I would appreciate it...once I have a plan I can let some of these rooms go! My parents are 80, my husband and I are in our 50's. We are driving and can add time to sightsee in New York if needed. We are leaving Chicago area the weekend prior to the cruise and thought we would drive through some of the East coast states we won't hit on our cruise. Looking forward to this trip with them and I know poor planning can cost us valuable time. I sincerely appreciate your guidance.

We will be sharing one room and prefer a Hilton property and sharing the room stretches that budget. I have Hilton Garden Inn Staten Island $148 a night 9/26-9/28 (but read somewhere not a good choice) I have Hampton Inn Parsippany $189 same 2 nights; Hilton Garden Inn Time Square my mistake have 1 night not 2 9/26 only at $290 parking included. We qualify for AAA, AARP, Senior Rates. We prefer queen beds but see that isn't an option at many hotels.

Look at the Hilton Gardens in Secaucus - 875 Route 3 East Service Road, Secaucus, New Jersey,07094, USA

The rate for your dates is AAA $207 + tax. For one day you can take the bus into Port Authority in NYC. This will allow you to walk to Times Square and do other things in midtown NYC. For the other day you can drive to Liberty State Park and do Ellis Island and the Statue Liberty returning to NY to do the 911 Memorial and take the Liberty Landing ferry back to Liberty State Park.

Thanks 138East. Would the Hyatt Place Meadowlands be more convenient to the public transportation or about the same as the Hilton Gardens?

Hyatt Place is in Harmon Meadows and is much more convenient to public transit, restaurants, and shopping.

http://www.harmonmeadow.com/PublishingImages/HMDirectory.pdf

https://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0320.pdf

Is this area close to the cruise port in NJ

Tami (Eastern Ontario)

Secaucus is about 16 miles from Cape Liberty - about 30 minutes in good traffic. Most of the trip is via the NJ Turnpike. If you don't have a car, you will have to pay for a car service from EWR to Secaucus and from Secaucus to Cape Liberty.

I would consider it to be "close" to Cape Liberty.

Does the parking garage at cape liberty take cash only or credit cards as well? Also, do you pay the day you get there or when you leave? Thanks!

Upon arriving you take a ticket to enter the parking garage. You keep the ticket with you on your cruise. After debarkation you pay at the ticket machines outside the parking garage. They will take cash, no large bills though, or credit cards. Once you pay your ticket is validated. Then you go to your car and as you are exiting the garage you insert your ticket into the machine and you leave.

There are always employees outside the garage and at the gates to assist you in this process.

Hi there! First of all thank you so much everyone for creating and contributing to this thread! It certainly makes our lives easier when it comes to vacation planning. We will be boarding the Anthem on Oct 28 to Bahamas and hoping I can get some advice.

From what I gather after reading the posts is better to fly in the day before so I think we will book a flight that arrives Oct 27 early afternoon and I am planning to stay near Jersey Gardens to do some pre-cruise shopping. Unfortunately our flight out of Newark is either 10:50am or 3:30pm so the afternoon flight seem to be the better choice. I know most hotels around Jersey Garden have complimentary airport shuttles, but what would be the best way for us to 1 - Get to the cruise terminal on Oct 28 morning, 2 - kill time between disembarkation and my flight? This is actually just our second time cruising and previously we cruised with NCL so everything is quite new to us.

Any advice would be appreciated! TIA!

Hi there! First of all thank you so much everyone for creating and contributing to this thread! It certainly makes our lives easier when it comes to vacation planning. We will be boarding the Anthem on Oct 28 to Bahamas and hoping I can get some advice.

From what I gather after reading the posts is better to fly in the day before so I think we will book a flight that arrives Oct 27 early afternoon and I am planning to stay near Jersey Gardens to do some pre-cruise shopping. Unfortunately our flight out of Newark is either 10:50am or 3:30pm so the afternoon flight seem to be the better choice. I know most hotels around Jersey Garden have complimentary airport shuttles, but what would be the best way for us to 1 - Get to the cruise terminal on Oct 28 morning, 2 - kill time between disembarkation and my flight? This is actually just our second time cruising and previously we cruised with NCL so everything is quite new to us.

Any advice would be appreciated! TIA!

You want to look at Country Inns, Embassy Suites, courtyard Elizabeth, and Residence Inn. If you are eligible for Senior or AAA/CAA rates be sure to price them. Also consider joining Hilton or Marriot loyalty programs to get reduced rates. Prepaying is another option.

Embassy Suites and Country Inns offer shuttle service to the port for $20/pp or $17.50/pp. Otherwise you have to book a car service for about $55-65. Coming back the taxi dispatcher at the port offers shared airport shuttles for $20/pp. ES, CI, and RI offer free breakfast.

Last Minute Travel is offering Country Inns for your date for $105 plus tax and Courtyard Elizabeth for $127 plus tax, both cancellable until Oct 24.

Price it all out and post back with questions.

You want to look at Country Inns, Embassy Suites, courtyard Elizabeth, and Residence Inn. If you are eligible for Senior or AAA/CAA rates be sure to price them. Also consider joining Hilton or Marriot loyalty programs to get reduced rates. Prepaying is another option.

Embassy Suites and Country Inns offer shuttle service to the port for $20/pp or $17.50/pp. Otherwise you have to book a car service for about $55-65. Coming back the taxi dispatcher at the port offers shared airport shuttles for $20/pp. ES, CI, and RI offer free breakfast.

Last Minute Travel is offering Country Inns for your date for $105 plus tax and Courtyard Elizabeth for $127 plus tax, both cancellable until Oct 24.

Price it all out and post back with questions.

Great! Thanks for the info! I think we will go with ES since we do have HH Honors. Is there anything to do around the airport until my late afternoon flight that you could suggest?