CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

We stayed in the Crown Plaza Times Sq last time, but I looked for 3 nights next August and it was approx $550 per night per room :o. So I thought we could stay further out and travel in. Wondered if there was somewhere we could stay that was easy enough to get transport links into Manhattan, but also good for EWR when we have luggage to manhandle.

Just the free ferry so that they could take photos, nothing major for Staten Island.

What are the EXACT dates you need hotel rooms??? Target budget range???

It looks like you're sailing Celebrity to Alaska, but can't tell how many precruise days you're doing in Seattle.

Thanks, I'll check it out ;). How would we get there from EWR? Is there public transport we could use easily with luggage?

I'm not an EWR expert. You can check PANYNJ.gov---->Newark Airport for detailed options. I know one choice frequently recommended is a car service Carmellimo.com. From EWR the driver most likely would use the Holland Tunnel for the Financial District and you'd be there in under 30 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What are the EXACT dates you need hotel rooms??? Target budget range???

It looks like you're sailing Celebrity to Alaska, but can't tell how many precruise days you're doing in Seattle.

We're a little flexible with dates as we are sailing from Seattle on 24th, but may spend a couple of days pre cruise there before the cruise. So it would be approximately 3 days during that week. Budget would be negotiable on offerings - let's put it this way, no way are we spending $550 + tax per night. The Doubletree (mentioned above) is more in the range. I have no real idea what the 'going rate' is from one side of the Hudson to the other.

We were also considering maybe taking an Anthem cruise (5 nights) over to Bermuda rather than staying in NY (one leaves on Saturday 18th). I was trying to see which out of the 2 options would work in our favour (money wise) being a family. I thought the hotel, plus food etc. would be more cost effective than the 5 night cruise, but maybe not?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm not an EWR expert. You can check PANYNJ.gov---->Newark Airport for detailed options. I know one choice frequently recommended is a car service Carmellimo.com. From EWR the driver most likely would use the Holland Tunnel for the Financial District and you'd be there in under 30 minutes.

Thank you, I'll take a look at the two options :-).

Thanks also to mking for your detailed reply.

Thank you, I'll take a look at the two options :-).

Thanks also to mking for your detailed reply.

Be patient.

Here's the problem. Marriott and Hilton plus many other hotels have not yet posted prices for all of their hotels for August, 2018. However, for what I can see, there would be prices in the $200-300 range for their hotels all over Manhattan.

If you want to keep costs down, I would suggest the following high level strategy:

Fly into EWR and take the NJ transit train to New York Penn Station for $13/pp. This is an accessible trip with luggage via airtrain to the Newark Airport Station and NJ Transit to New York Penn Station. You cannot get car service transportation to NYC for 7 people for anywhere near this price. If you fly out of Newark, don't book a super early flight so you can repeat this process in reverse.

When hotel rates become available in the next few weeks, check back with us to find hotels within walking distance of NY Penn Station with luggage.

Plan to join Hilton Honors or Marriott Rewards to get some price reduction. Look closely at the hotels that offer free breakfast.

This strategy will help balance the time, cost and stress of your NY visit. I'm a big fan of folks on a budget staying in NJ if they're sailing Anthem from Cape Liberty, but you're not doing this.

Another hotel to look at is the LaQuinta on 32nd St, which is close to the subway, Herald Square (Macy's), and the Empire State. I'm staying there in Jan.

Villauk - as noted above, wait several weeks when hotel released their 2018 summer rates & re-evaluate your options for hotels & airport to fly into.

Meanwhile, price out airfares into JFK & EWR, options & flight details +whether you have affinity and/or airline preference. Star Alliance/United captured 60-70% of EWR's flight ops ... Have a look at non-stops into SEA for your Alaska cruise. Do take a look at Bermuda on Anthem, although I don't think late summer prices will be that low except for last minute specials. But, compared to lodging & meals in NYC, might not be that far apart either - depending on your plans & budget.

Another option from EWR into NYC is via the Airporter buses, stopping downtown near/at the WTC before going to Port Authority Bus Terminal - depending on your final choice of hotel. I see 50% off promo rates on the "Tri----" site for the 4 stars Millenium Hotel on Church Street by WTC ... In addition to hotels with complimentary hot breakfast, will you need or be using WiFi for internet access during your stay?

From what you're described thus far, finding one in the midtown area near Times Square, around the train station & bus terminal, might be a better choice to save on local, ground transport - as you can walk & sightsee without going far, aside from that one subway trip downtown for the S.I. Ferry to see Lady Liberty. Also, T-Mobile has a good, prepaid calling & 4G/LTE data, tethering (hotspot functions) to share among multiple device since you will be in the U.S. over a span of about 2 weeks ... we get free, complimentary WiFi at Marriott branded properties but it's often so slow that it is unusable except for basic web surfing, checking emails & Skype calling, etc.

Thanks both. We are members of both those hotel chains, East, so we would get the preferred rates where applicable. As you say, I'll leave it a few weeks and check prices at a few of the suggested hotels.

If I understand correctly, we could get an AirTran from EWR airport to Newark Liberty station and then the NJ transit to Penn Station New York (basically Manhattan to me)? We were planning on taking an afternoon flight to Seattle from EWR anyway, so this would give us more opportunity to do this in reverse (like you suggested).

Thank you for all your assistance :-).

Thanks both. We are members of both those hotel chains, East, so we would get the preferred rates where applicable. As you say, I'll leave it a few weeks and check prices at a few of the suggested hotels.

If I understand correctly, we could get an AirTran from EWR airport to Newark Liberty station and then the NJ transit to Penn Station New York (basically Manhattan to me)? We were planning on taking an afternoon flight to Seattle from EWR anyway, so this would give us more opportunity to do this in reverse (like you suggested).

Thank you for all your assistance :-).

Airtrain - https://www.panynj.gov/airports/pdf/ewr-airtrain-brochure-english.pdf

Newark Airport to New York Penn Station - http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainTo

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf

Hello,

I am looking for a good transfer option from Newark Airport to Cape Liberty for two adults and one toddler. What would you recommend in terms of price and availability? Do you need a car seat for Uber/Lyft in New Jersey?

Thanks

Chrishb - I'm posting the link to your other post so that folks can understand that you're coming from Germany with a toddler and going directly to Cape Liberty to board Mein Schiff 6, which is overnighting at Cape Liberty and sailing the next day.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2537881.

Hopefully you will get more responses to your car seat question from the wider audience on this board .

to board Mein Schiff 6, which is overnighting at Cape Liberty and sailing the next day.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2537881.

I didn't realize it but Mein Schiff 6 will be doing 5 round trip cruises from Bayonne in September and October then leaving and going to the Caribbean.

Cape Liberty will have 4 cruises ships in September and October, Anthem, Summit, Vision and Mein Schiff 6. Hope they can handle all that.

Does anyone have experience with Buyreservation.Com? I was going to use trinity for our precruise night on Nov. 17, but trinity has higher price.

Thanks! :)

Could you provide more details? I'm not sure you're comparing apples to apples. Are you sailing from Cape Liberty and looking for a Park/sleep/cruise which includes round trip port transportation?

What price are you seeing for buyreservation including tax? They are not offering port transportation.

For Trinity I'm seeing a tax included price of $209 which includes the parking, the room, and round trip port transportation for up to 4 people.

You are absolutely correct! VERY deceptive website, as an attorney I should have known better! The "details" of the package page stated there MAY be an additional charge for transfers. The hotel detail page clearly sets out the price for parking and additional nights of parking, states the transfer times, but conveniently neglects to mention the transfer charges. Shameful, as it is called a "park snooze and cruise package" that is "seamless and convenient". How that could be when the transfers need to be booked and paid separately is beyond me! AVOID BuyreservationsCom!

Thank you for responding and ensuring I checked for the "devil in the deails!"

You've all been so kind to help everyone who comes here with questions, I'm hoping you can provide me with some good advice.

We're doing a family cruise on the Summit in August 2018. It's a total of eight people. Four of us are driving in two separate cars. Two are arriving by air to EWR and two are taking the train to the EWR Amtrak station.

The two cars can comfortably transport everyone to the port so we're planning to park at Cape Liberty. Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced hotel ($150) with a shuttle from EWR and a reasonable drive to the port? We're not concerned about getting into NYC, just from the airport to the hotel and the hotel to the ship. Both cars have EZ Pass so tolls are not a concern.

Thanks!

You've all been so kind to help everyone who comes here with questions, I'm hoping you can provide me with some good advice.

We're doing a family cruise on the Summit in August 2018. It's a total of eight people. Four of us are driving in two separate cars. Two are arriving by air to EWR and two are taking the train to the EWR Amtrak station.

The two cars can comfortably transport everyone to the port so we're planning to park at Cape Liberty. Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced hotel ($150) with a shuttle from EWR and a reasonable drive to the port? We're not concerned about getting into NYC, just from the airport to the hotel and the hotel to the ship. Both cars have EZ Pass so tolls are not a concern.

Thanks!

Cruise date? Seniors? AAA?

Hubby and I had a great day in NYC yesterday and an easy trip to board Anthem this morning. Here are the details, if it might be helpful:

Flight from Columbus, OH to EWR was scheduled for 8:30, arriving 10:20. Heavy fog meant the aircraft was diverted to Cleveland, but it was able to get to Columbus a couple hours late. Luckily, I didn't have any set plans until 3.

We stayed at the Hilton Newark Penn Station on points. They request that you schedule the free airport transfer in advance, so I had to call (twice) to let them know we would be delayed. We landed at 12:25, and were able to retrieve our bags and take the Airtrain to P4 by just a couple minutes past our 1:00 updated arrival. The van was waiting for us, and we were in our room by 1:30.

We freshened up a bit, then walked over to the train station and bought a $22 Metrocard (2 people x $2.75 x 4 legs). Hopped on the PATH and were at the WTC by 2:00.

Wow, I had not seen the new Oculus hub before. Incredible! We got some sandwiches and looked around a bit before heading to the 9/11 Memorial and Museum. I had pre-purchased our tickets there for 3:00. My husband's ticket was free, because he is an AF retiree, and mine was $18, as a veteran (regular price is $24). The museum is sobering and very well done.

We had 5:00 priority tickets for the One World Observation deck. There was a very long line, so I'm glad we splurged for the Priority tickets, allowing us to walk right in. The tower experience is fantastic!

After that we walked to the Chambers Street station to catch the subway to Times Square. We had dinner at Junior's and then did some people-watching at Times Square before seeing "Come from Away" -- absolutely fantastic show.

After the show we walked down 8th to the Port Authority subway station to get on the E line to the WTC. From there we hopped back on the PATH to Newark. We were back in the room a bit after 11. Such a fun day!

This morning we relaxed, had breakfast, and packed up. I requested an Uber at 9:30, and he was already there. We were at Cape Liberty just a few minutes after 10. Cost was $18.50 + tip.

So far we are loving the ship, and looking forward to seeing a bit of New England and Canada!

Hubby and I had a great day in NYC yesterday and an easy trip to board Anthem this morning. Here are the details, if it might be helpful:

Flight from Columbus, OH to EWR was scheduled for 8:30, arriving 10:20. Heavy fog meant the aircraft was diverted to Cleveland, but it was able to get to Columbus a couple hours late. Luckily, I didn't have any set plans until 3.

We stayed at the Hilton Newark Penn Station on points. They request that you schedule the free airport transfer in advance, so I had to call (twice) to let them know we would be delayed. We landed at 12:25, and were able to retrieve our bags and take the Airtrain to P4 by just a couple minutes past our 1:00 updated arrival. The van was waiting for us, and we were in our room by 1:30.

We freshened up a bit, then walked over to the train station and bought a $22 Metrocard (2 people x $2.75 x 4 legs). Hopped on the PATH and were at the WTC by 2:00.

Wow, I had not seen the new Oculus hub before. Incredible! We got some sandwiches and looked around a bit before heading to the 9/11 Memorial and Museum. I had pre-purchased our tickets there for 3:00. My husband's ticket was free, because he is an AF retiree, and mine was $18, as a veteran (regular price is $24). The museum is sobering and very well done.

We had 5:00 priority tickets for the One World Observation deck. There was a very long line, so I'm glad we splurged for the Priority tickets, allowing us to walk right in. The tower experience is fantastic!

After that we walked to the Chambers Street station to catch the subway to Times Square. We had dinner at Junior's and then did some people-watching at Times Square before seeing "Come from Away" -- absolutely fantastic show.

After the show we walked down 8th to the Port Authority subway station to get on the E line to the WTC. From there we hopped back on the PATH to Newark. We were back in the room a bit after 11. Such a fun day!

This morning we relaxed, had breakfast, and packed up. I requested an Uber at 9:30, and he was already there. We were at Cape Liberty just a few minutes after 10. Cost was $18.50 + tip.

So far we are loving the ship, and looking forward to seeing a bit of New England and Canada!

Wow you managed to do it all. Wasn't Come From Away fabulous? The fact that you visited the 9/11 museum and new tower, plus that you are cruising to Canada makes it even more complete. Bon Voyage!

Man, I thought I was answering all of the questions before they were asked! You're good. As I said, August 2018, specifically August 19. Some seniors, all AAA.

Ugh! My response got lost.

Anyway you want to look at the hotels on International Blvd in Elizabeth - Marriott Courtyard, Embassy Suites, Country Inns and Residence Inn. The Courtyard has the prices closest to your budget. It's very early and all the hotel booking options fir 8/19/18 are not yet available.

Post back fir more feedback if you're looking at other hotels. Most hotels with free breakfast do not have a restaurant. Only the hotels on International Blvd have chain restaurants you can walk to. Otherwise your only food options are to eat dinner in your hotel restaurant, if it has one, walk to a neighboring hotel with a restaurant, or order take out to be delivered. Country Inns has a tiny lobby seating area not really large enough for your group to gather in.

Wow you managed to do it all. Wasn't Come From Away fabulous? The fact that you visited the 9/11 museum and new tower, plus that you are cruising to Canada makes it even more complete. Bon Voyage!

Thanks! So far we are enjoying the ship. We may decide at the end that it's a bit big for our preference, but I know we will have a great time!

Yes, the show was fantastic, and a perfect ending to our activities earlier in the day.

Well my airline changed my flight time, is it is leaving Newark earlier. I am coming into Cape Liberty cruise port, Saturday September 24th. My plane leaves at 12:15. How worried should I be that I might not make it? I have read about construction. TIA

Well my airline changed my flight time, is it is leaving Newark earlier. I am coming into Cape Liberty cruise port, Saturday September 24th. My plane leaves at 12:15. How worried should I be that I might not make it? I have read about construction. TIA

Can you self disembark with your luggage? If so, there should be no problem baking a 12:15 flight.