CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

That will work. However, as I recall it's a walk underground from the Chambers St E train to PATH at the World Trade plus it's an extra fare to go this way. From Exchange Place you need to take the 8th St Bayonne train and get off at 34th St.

I'm doing this in Jan, but my hotel is on W 32nd, so I'm taking PATH from 32nd-33rd St & 6th to Hoboken and the light rail to Bayonne. I've done luggage on the NYC subway and was not happy with the overall accessibility. By contrast PATH at 33rd has elevator access to the concourse level and a wide turnstile that is easy with luggage. I also like the Hoboken Station and its views of Manhattan. Getting on at the beginning of the line means you get a choice of seats that work with your luggage.

Well I guess never been to NY city just looking at maps. do you have a good way to get from hotel to 33rd Path Station. so it sounds like it is doable for old people.

That will work. However, as I recall it's a walk underground from the Chambers St E train to PATH at the World Trade plus it's an extra fare to go this way. From Exchange Place you need to take the 8th St Bayonne train and get off at 34th St.

I'm doing this in Jan, but my hotel is on W 32nd, so I'm taking PATH from 32nd-33rd St & 6th to Hoboken and the light rail to Bayonne. I've done luggage on the NYC subway and was not happy with the overall accessibility. By contrast PATH at 33rd has elevator access to the concourse level and a wide turnstile that is easy with luggage. I also like the Hoboken Station and its views of Manhattan. Getting on at the beginning of the line means you get a choice of seats that work with your luggage.

So the description above is a single fare?

The maps aren't clear showing we can catch the Hudson- Bergen line at Hoboken station

Don't worry--Carol's (138east) suggestion and directions re. taking the PATH train from 33rd St NYC to Hoboken and changing there to the light rail are spot on. It's exactly what I would recommend and what I would do myself.

The Hoboken PATH station is underground, so you need to get up to ground level to board the light rail train. So, when you get off the PATH train at Hoboken, walk forward (i.e., in the same direction the train was going) and go through the turnstiles. As soon as you go through the turnstiles, there's an elevator over to the left, or you can take the stairs over to the right. If you take the elevator, turn left when you exit the elevator and walk into the Hoboken (rail) Terminal. If you take the stairs/pedestrian corridor, that will take you right into the terminal. You will then be here:

http://c7.alamy.com/comp/EW0NYF/hoboken-erie-lackawanna-hoboken-terminal-new-jersey-usa-EW0NYF.jpg

Walk to the far end of the station concourse (basically as the guys in the photo are doing) and then bear right; you will come to the light rail platforms. Things are well signposted; you really can't miss it.

The map linked here will make the PATH-to-light rail connection at Hoboken clearer:

https://goo.gl/maps/454DDhUMjMM2

To answer your other question: The PATH train and the light rail train are two separate fares. (They are two different systems, run by different agencies.) The standard PATH fare is $2.75; if you have an MTA MetroCard, you can use that. See: http://www.panynj.gov/path/fares.html

The standard fare for the light rail is $2.25; seniors (62+) and children pay a mere $1.10. Purchase your ticket(s) from the machines near the entrance to the light rail platforms; before boarding the light rail train, validate your ticket by sticking it into the orange ticket validation machine, which will time-stamp the ticket.

I think Post Captain covered the answers to your questions.

If you take Uber to PATH, you want to get off at 32nd and 6th Ave on the west side. The PATH elevator entrance is on the west side of 6th Ave between 32nd and 33rd St.

https://www.google.com/search?q=PATH+33rd+street+elevator+entrance+picture&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari#imgrc=HchdnwSaB1FCnM:

In Hoboken you want to take the Bayonne 8th Street train, which originates there. That's nice because there should be no rush to get on before the train leaves. Hoboken Station is very historical - http://www.american-rails.com/hoboken-terminal.html

The light rail trip is a street level trip that goes through Jersey City and Bayonne with intermittent views of NY and the harbor. IMO it's a cheap excursion for the morning of the cruise.

Haven't done the Uber thing yet from Bayonne 34th St. Getting into the port can be time consuming depending on the amount of time you have to wait for a pickup.

Don't worry--Carol's (138east) suggestion and directions re. taking the PATH train from 33rd St NYC to Hoboken and changing there to the light rail are spot on. It's exactly what I would recommend and what I would do myself.

The Hoboken PATH station is underground, so you need to get up to ground level to board the light rail train. So, when you get off the PATH train at Hoboken, walk forward (i.e., in the same direction the train was going) and go through the turnstiles. As soon as you go through the turnstiles, there's an elevator over to the left, or you can take the stairs over to the right. If you take the elevator, turn left when you exit the elevator and walk into the Hoboken (rail) Terminal. If you take the stairs/pedestrian corridor, that will take you right into the terminal. You will then be here:

http://c7.alamy.com/comp/EW0NYF/hoboken-erie-lackawanna-hoboken-terminal-new-jersey-usa-EW0NYF.jpg

Walk to the far end of the station concourse (basically as the guys in the photo are doing) and then bear right; you will come to the light rail platforms. Things are well signposted; you really can't miss it.

The map linked here will make the PATH-to-light rail connection at Hoboken clearer:

https://goo.gl/maps/454DDhUMjMM2

To answer your other question: The PATH train and the light rail train are two separate fares. (They are two different systems, run by different agencies.) The standard PATH fare is $2.75; if you have an MTA MetroCard, you can use that. See: http://www.panynj.gov/path/fares.html

The standard fare for the light rail is $2.25; seniors (62+) and children pay a mere $1.10. Purchase your ticket(s) from the machines near the entrance to the light rail platforms; before boarding the light rail train, validate your ticket by sticking it into the orange ticket validation machine, which will time-stamp the ticket.

Thank you so much instructions even an old man can understand.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think Post Captain covered the answers to your questions.

If you take Uber to PATH, you want to get off at 32nd and 6th Ave on the west side. The PATH elevator entrance is on the west side of 6th Ave between 32nd and 33rd St.

https://www.google.com/search?q=PATH+33rd+street+elevator+entrance+picture&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari#imgrc=HchdnwSaB1FCnM:

In Hoboken you want to take the Bayonne 8th Street train, which originates there. That's nice because there should be no rush to get on before the train leaves. Hoboken Station is very historical - http://www.american-rails.com/hoboken-terminal.html

The light rail trip is a street level trip that goes through Jersey City and Bayonne with intermittent views of NY and the harbor. IMO it's a cheap excursion for the morning of the cruise.

Haven't done the Uber thing yet from Bayonne 34th St. Getting into the port can be time consuming depending on the amount of time you have to wait for a pickup.

I like Uber cause I don't need cash, I know what the driver looks like before he or she arrives.and there is a record of all my rides. I know when and how far they are from the hotel. Also you watch your route on your phone, IMHO it is the better way for young and Old people.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

WEATHER

Can anyone tell what the weather would be like on day 2 and day 3 on 12 night Southern Caribbean cruise on Anthem of the Seas departing on 25/2/18 from Bayonne ? Temperature and the likely weather conditions.

Looking to book North Star and IFly and wonder if either would possibly be cancelled if weather not good.If day 10 or 11 are better options.

Any advice welcome.

WEATHER

Can anyone tell what the weather would be like on day 2 and day 3 on 12 night Southern Caribbean cruise on Anthem of the Seas departing on 25/2/18 from Bayonne ? Temperature and the likely weather conditions.

Looking to book North Star and IFly and wonder if either would possibly be cancelled if weather not good.If day 10 or 11 are better options.

Any advice welcome.

If only I had a crystal ball!

My advice would be to book the morning of day 4 before you get to San Juan at 3 pm. Second choice would be Day 3. If weather is poor, you will still have an opportunity to go standby on subsequent days.

Ifly can be affected by weather, but not as much as the Northstar.

Thanks. Only sea days are coming up on the planner for my cruises. So booked day 2 for I fly and day 3 for North Star and hope weather is okay. First time on Anthem so want to try both.

Sounds like a plan. Download the Royal IQ app. When you get to the ship you can check if other time slots are available which do not show on the cruise planner. At that point you will have a better idea of the weather and can move reservations around.

The best advice I can give about Anthem is to reserve what you really want to do and be prepared to be flexible enough to take advantage of anything else that comes up along the way.

Hi,

I'm looking for a critique/feedback on my plans for departure on Anthem Nov. 11

I'm driving from Canada on Nov. 10th with my mother and two Aunts (aged 71 and 83)

We will want 2 hotel rooms for Friday night.

I am under the impression that since we need two rooms, a shuttle and parking included hotel would not be much less money than just paying for a hotel separately and parking at the port.

There is also the convenience of being able to get right on the road after the cruise.

How easy is it to drive to the port? Should I look for a hotel in Jersey city? Would a hotel even an hour away from the port be cheaper, or is morning traffic horrendous? Any areas to avoid? We don't need anything fancy, just clean, safe!

Thanks

Hi,

I'm looking for a critique/feedback on my plans for departure on Anthem Nov. 11

I'm driving from Canada on Nov. 10th with my mother and two Aunts (aged 71 and 83)

We will want 2 hotel rooms for Friday night.

I am under the impression that since we need two rooms, a shuttle and parking included hotel would not be much less money than just paying for a hotel separately and parking at the port.

There is also the convenience of being able to get right on the road after the cruise.

How easy is it to drive to the port? Should I look for a hotel in Jersey city? Would a hotel even an hour away from the port be cheaper, or is morning traffic horrendous? Any areas to avoid? We don't need anything fancy, just clean, safe!

Thanks

Where are you driving from in Canada? What route would you approach the NY metro area on?

You're on a 7 day cruise, so it's $140 to park at the port. Staying an hour from the port is a strategy we often recommend. You're driving on a Fri so there will be hotel deals on the edge of the metro area.

Thanks 138East!

My two route options are I87 through Albany or I 80 through Scranton. The Port is Cape Liberty.

I would look along Route 80 in the Parsipanny, NJ area where there is a pool of business traveler hotels that have good weekend prices. Hotwire can be a good source of 3* hotels about $100 that have a high approval rating if you're willing to prepay. After such a long trip you will be glad to get off the road in a nice suburban area with services, stores, and restaurants. On a Friday night there is no reason to deal with the highly urban area around Newark Airport or Jersey City trying to find a hotel and dinner.

The drive to the port on Sat morning should be just under an hour.

Thanks 138East!

My two route options are I87 through Albany or I 80 through Scranton. The Port is Cape Liberty.

Another option if you are traveling on I-87 is the Mahwah/Ramsey NJ area. Both of those locations will leave you about one hour(without traffic) from Cape Liberty cruise port. I see a Fairfield Inn in Mahwah and a Best Western in Ramsey, each with complimentary breakfast, at just over $100. Be advised route 17 is a heavily traveled road, especially during the morning, so allow more travel time. WCBS 880 am on the radio provides traffic updates every 10 minutes that end on an 8.

Another option if you are traveling on I-87 is the Mahwah/Ramsey NJ area. Both of those locations will leave you about one hour(without traffic) from Cape Liberty cruise port. I see a Fairfield Inn in Mahwah and a Best Western in Ramsey, each with complimentary breakfast, at just over $100. Be advised route 17 is a heavily traveled road, especially during the morning, so allow more travel time. WCBS 880 am on the radio provides traffic updates every 10 minutes that end on an 8.

That's definitely a good option as well. The OP will be driving to Cape Liberty on a Sat morning, so traffic shouldn't be a big issue if they get through the route 17 shopping area before 10 am when the stores open.

How did I miss this thread? I'll have to post my other question here....

My husband and I had planned on using Uber from the cruise terminal to EWR for our flight home. How realistic is this? We've never used Uber before and am not sure how successful this will be.

We also plan on using it from the hotel to the cruise terminal. I'm hopeful everything will go smoothly. Do you think a car service would be a better idea?

What time is your flight?

How did I miss this thread? I'll have to post my other question here....

My husband and I had planned on using Uber from the cruise terminal to EWR for our flight home. How realistic is this? We've never used Uber before and am not sure how successful this will be.

We also plan on using it from the hotel to the cruise terminal. I'm hopeful everything will go smoothly. Do you think a car service would be a better idea?

We sailed on Anthem August 31.

Uber from Newark Penn Station Hilton to Cape Liberty at 9:30 am for two of us with luggage cost $18.80 plus tip. When I requested the ride, he was right out front.

Upon arrival back at Cape Liberty on September 9, we did self-disembark at 7:30, were through customs and on the curb by 7:40 or a bit after. Requested an Uber, and it was there in 8 minutes. The ride to EWR cost $26.91. I don't think it was surge pricing, but I think there is a fee they have to pay for the airport. Still much cheaper for two of us than a regular taxi or shuttle. Our flight wasn't until noon, and we were at our gate by 8:45.

We would use Uber for Cape Liberty again!

Hello, we are sailing on the Anthem of the Seas out of Cape Liberty 11/11. From what I have read in this thread (thank you everyone!) I think I will book us at the Embassy Suites for one night precruise. They provide pickup from the airport and we can book a shuttle (for a fee) to take us to port the next day. Our flight arrives at EWR around noon, so we plan on checking into hotel and then we would like to go see the 9/11 Memorial. Taking a taxi or uber (we have not used uber yet but are willing to try) sounds like the easiest for us midwesterners who are not used to public transportation (and not even used to taxis much either, ha!), although I am sure we can figure it out if that would be convenient. My question is as to how expensive it would be to use a taxi to the 9/11 Memorial and is it easy to get a taxi to get back to our hotel then when we are ready to go back? Another question, I have also read that one can take a ferry across, is that a better option?

The other option is just to stay at a hotel near the 9/11 Memorial and then just taxi to the port the next day. Of course, we would have to taxi into Manhattan first from the airport, so I am thinking my first plan would be the easiest, less expensive?

Thank you for any help!!