CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

My understanding is that you can't park at Cape Liberty. Which airport are you flying out of?

Carol, Why wouldn't you be able to park at the port, so the car would be there when you return? I always thought that if the weather was going to be bad, when going on a cruise, I would go the the port the night before and leave my car before going to my daughters in Bayonne to spend the night.

Carol, Why wouldn't you be able to park at the port, so the car would be there when you return? I always thought that if the weather was going to be bad, when going on a cruise, I would go the the port the night before and leave my car before going to my daughters in Bayonne to spend the night.

Last time this question was asked about a repo cruise, I think the answer was no. I'm sure it was no for a repo from Cape Liberty to elsewhere, but the question in this case was about a repo from San Juan to Cape Liberty.

The Cape Liberty parking is not really public parking. I don't think they're set up to have folks just show up to ditch cars at random times precruise so they can fly off to get on a repo or in your case to return the next day to board the ship. Good question to ask when we sail this month.

Last time this question was asked about a repo cruise, I think the answer was no. I'm sure it was no for a repo from Cape Liberty to elsewhere, but the question in this case was about a repo from San Juan to Cape Liberty.

The Cape Liberty parking is not really public parking. I don't think they're set up to have folks just show up to ditch cars at random times precruise so they can fly off to get on a repo or in your case to return the next day to board the ship. Good question to ask when we sail this month.

I cannot answer about Cape Liberty, however I can relate something about the parking at the Red Hook (Brooklyn) Cruise Terminal.....

In November, I went to have lunch and a ship's tour aboard the Crown Princess, which was there on a repositioning port-of-call, not a turnaround of cruises. All of its passenger's were enroute from Canada to Florida. So since no one was getting off or boarding there, there were no attendants at the parking lot. Parking turned out to be free that day, for anyone just parking for the day.

Perhaps that is the situation at Cape Liberty...the garage may not be staffed when no ships are there....not sure...:confused:

I am wondering though since you now only take a ticket to enter the garage and pay with a ticket on the way out could you park there at any time? Do you think the ticket machines work when no one is there?

I would also check to see if maybe Anthem has a turnaround day the day you need to park there, then there will be people at the port.

I am wondering though since you now only take a ticket to enter the garage and pay with a ticket on the way out could you park there at any time? Do you think the ticket machines work when no one is there?

I would also check to see if maybe Anthem has a turnaround day the day you need to park there, then there will be people at the port.

That is the question I will ask when I'm at Cape Liberty on Jan 19. There is also the question of how overall port security is handled on non turnaround days. Supposedly the port area has significant security when ships are not docked.

Cape Liberty currently only has the capacity for 1 ship/day.

I am sure my answer is somewhere in this long thread but I am going to ask it any way...sorry for the repeat. We are driving to Cape Liberty on the day of our cruise on Feb 25. We live about 3 hours away. When we arrive, how does it work to drop off the luggage and park the car? I am concerned because my husband is 74 and not as fit so I am concerned with him walking back from the parking garage to the terminal - especially if it is as cold as it is now - below zero with the wind chill. I could park the car and walk it - I am younger and better able to - but would he have to wait with the luggage outside or would there be secure drop off?

thanks in advance for any help.

I am sure my answer is somewhere in this long thread but I am going to ask it any way...sorry for the repeat. We are driving to Cape Liberty on the day of our cruise on Feb 25. We live about 3 hours away. When we arrive, how does it work to drop off the luggage and park the car? I am concerned because my husband is 74 and not as fit so I am concerned with him walking back from the parking garage to the terminal - especially if it is as cold as it is now - below zero with the wind chill. I could park the car and walk it - I am younger and better able to - but would he have to wait with the luggage outside or would there be secure drop off?

thanks in advance for any help.

You will pull in and stay to your right. The porters will guide you. You may drop off your luggage and husband right outside the terminal. The porters will take your luggage and your husband can walk inside the terminal as long as he has his ID and set sail pass. He can wait for you inside while you park the car.

You will then go around to the parking garage, enter the garage, take a ticket and then proceed to park. Take the ticket with you as you will pay after you disembark the ship at one of the pay machines outside the parking garage.

Hope this helps.

You will pull in and stay to your right. The porters will guide you. You may drop off your luggage and husband right outside the terminal. The porters will take your luggage and your husband can walk inside the terminal as long as he has his ID and set sail pass. He can wait for you inside while you park the car.

You will then go around to the parking garage, enter the garage, take a ticket and then proceed to park. Take the ticket with you as you will pay after you disembark the ship at one of the pay machines outside the parking garage.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much...just the information I needed.

We're doing a repo on the Summit in April so plan on taking the train home. I would like to find a less expensive way to get from Cape Liberty to Penn Station in Newark other than a cab or Uber. Is there another way such as going to EWR first that would make sense?

Uber is reasonable. Your only other choice is public transit - shared shuttle to the light rail station (about $6-8/pp), light rail to Exchange Place ($2.25/pp), and PATH to Newark Penn Station ($2.75/pp). This is an accessible trip if you can manage your luggage.

Going to EWR can be more expensive because Airtrain charges a $5.50 surcharge to get on the train at the Airport Station.

Newark Penn Station is a big transportation hub with food, rest rooms, red cap services, and indoor waiting room. All trains stop there. You can get dropped off right in front of the station.

Newark Airport Station has no vehicle access. You have to get dropped off at the P4 Airtrain stop and ride one stop to the Newark Airport Train Station.

138East I want to thank you for all the information you provided prior to our cruise in October. We had an amazing trip all thanks to you! I did send an email--hope it made it to you and not the spam box. Again Thank you so so much you are an Angel!

138East I want to thank you for all the information you provided prior to our cruise in October. We had an amazing trip all thanks to you! I did send an email--hope it made it to you and not the spam box. Again Thank you so so much you are an Angel!

I'm so glad your trip was amazing for you and your parents.

Hello Carol

We are staying at Ramada Plaza by the Newark Airport and would like to go into the city for a Broadway show at the Eugene Oneill Theatre on W.49th St. What would you suggest the best way to get there? Can we take the train? Thanks

You can take the train and subway. Do you have a car? Jan 27? How many people?

You can take the train and subway. Do you have a car? Jan 27? How many people?

We are parked at hotel for our cruise. Good deal thru Trinity.

My wife & I are going to 2pm show on Jan. 27. After show we plan to get some dinner in the city then head back to hotel.

How much time should we allow to get into the city to make the 2pm show?

Thanks

We are parked at hotel for our cruise. Good deal thru Trinity.

My wife & I are going to 2pm show on Jan. 27. After show we plan to get some dinner in the city then head back to hotel.

How much time should we allow to get into the city to make the 2pm show?

Thanks

The train schedule will control. http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainTo

I'd drive to Secaucus Junction at exit 15X on the NJ Turnpike - train fare is $4.25 each way (less if seniors) and parking is $12 on a Sat. $1.75 turnpike toll each way. There are 5 trains between 12:15 and 12:30.

At NY Penn Station you can take the 8th Ave subway uptown 2 stops to 50th St.

http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainTo

If there is no snow or ice on sidewalks you can easily walk to theater from Penn station they’re short blocks. (If you’re used to walking). Also the theater will allow patrons in around 1:30. I always use restroom first if there’s time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Really don't want to move car once at hotel. What do you think about taking Uber to Newark Penn Station($8-10) and then train to New York Penn Station $2.45/pp (senior rate? Will either take 8th ave train or walk to theatre depending on weather as suggested.

Any decent restaurants near theatre?

Thanks all for your help.

Really don't want to move car once at hotel. What do you think about taking Uber to Newark Penn Station($8-10) and then train to New York Penn Station $2.45/pp (senior rate? Will either take 8th ave train or walk to theatre depending on weather as suggested.

Any decent restaurants near theatre?

Thanks all for your help.

Uber to Newark Penn Station is an even better idea. It cuts out the surcharge to use Newark Airport Station, gives you an overall lower train fare, and gives you a sheltered indoor waiting room on the outdoor train platform.

On Jan 27 there are 4 trains from Newark Penn Station to New York between 12:07 and 12:25.

Don't know about restaurants.

I apologize if someone has asked these questions, but I’m fairly new to CC. Please point me in the right direction if needed...

We (family of 5) are flying in on 5/30/18 for a RC cruise that departs on 5/31/18. Not sure where we should stay that evening? Not necessarily looking for sightseeing unless it’s easy to manage. I’m also looking for suggestions regarding transportation from EWR to the hotel, as well as transportation from the hotel to the port. My husband and I are traveling with 3 teenage boys. Looking forward to the trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums