CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

I apologize if someone has asked these questions, but I’m fairly new to CC. Please point me in the right direction if needed...

We (family of 5) are flying in on 5/30/18 for a RC cruise that departs on 5/31/18. Not sure where we should stay that evening? Not necessarily looking for sightseeing unless it’s easy to manage. I’m also looking for suggestions regarding transportation from EWR to the hotel, as well as transportation from the hotel to the port. My husband and I are traveling with 3 teenage boys. Looking forward to the trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

5 people is tough. Port transportation for 5 including all your cruise luggage is tough.

What is your realistic hotel and round trip transportation budget? Could you do 2 rooms?

5 people is tough. Port transportation for 5 including all your cruise luggage is tough.

What is your realistic hotel and round trip transportation budget? Could you do 2 rooms?

Just trying to do it all reasonably. We can do two rooms, but if we stay somewhere like Embassy Suites I’m thinking we could make do with one?

Just trying to do it all reasonably. We can do two rooms, but if we stay somewhere like Embassy Suites I’m thinking we could make do with one?

The Spring Hill Suites Newark Libery Airport has a AAA pre purchase rate of $135 pre tax, sleeps up to 6. Appears to be in a isolated location with few, if any, dining options. Shuttle service to Jersey Gardens mall for a fee.

Perhaps, but what is your hotel budget and round trip transportation budget? Do you use Uber?

I can find you two rooms and round trip port transportation for 5 for $401 tax included. No breakfast, but on property food. Trinityreservations.com at the Ramada Plaza. ($195 + $206). Also Crowne Plaza for about $475 including breakfast.

The closest dinner food for Springhill Suites is 2 hotels over at the Courtyard Elizabeth. Otherwise it's takeout delivery. They do offer breakfast. The problem is arranging for 5 people to go to Cape Liberty in one vehicle for the $100 range each way.

Embassy Suites is well located and offers breakfast. Round trip port transportation is $20/pp each way ($200 total). Room costs $275 tax included.

Last May we booked the Country Inn and Suites through BuyReservation.com using their "Park, Stay, Fly" package. We were also able to book our transportation through them to and from Cape Liberty for $35 per person round trip. I can't remember how large the room was but it included breakfast. The hotel was also within walking distance of some restaurants and a large mall. It may be worthwhile checking out.

Last May we booked the Country Inn and Suites through BuyReservation.com using their "Park, Stay, Fly" package. We were also able to book our transportation through them to and from Cape Liberty for $35 per person round trip. I can't remember how large the room was but it included breakfast. The hotel was also within walking distance of some restaurants and a large mall. It may be worthwhile checking out.

A direct reservation with Country Inns would work. Room is $227.04 for 2 Queens and a sofabed. Round trip port transportation is $175 for 5 people. Free breakfast. Better choice with teenagers to be near the Mall and IHOP, Ruby Tuesdays, Johnny Rockets, Applebees, and the Mall food court.

Only 5 rooms left according to their web site.

Hi. Coming into Cape Liberty on Adventure of the Seas in May. It looks like the cheapest way home (Long Island) from there is to rent a car one way, but it doesn’t look like there are any car rental shuttles. Wondering if I should take an airport shuttle and rent a car from there or take a taxi/ Uber to a rental agency in jersey city? Any idea on pricing to airport or jersey city?

Thanks for any info!

Traci

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi. Coming into Cape Liberty on Adventure of the Seas in May. It looks like the cheapest way home (Long Island) from there is to rent a car one way, but it doesn’t look like there are any car rental shuttles. Wondering if I should take an airport shuttle and rent a car from there or take a taxi/ Uber to a rental agency in jersey city? Any idea on pricing to airport or jersey city?

Thanks for any info!

Traci

The cheapest would be to take the Path to Herald Square then walk the block to Penn Station and take LIRR.

I would be interested in where you get an affordable rate for a rental especially a one way.

Edited by Got2Cruise

The cheapest would be to take the Path to Herald Square then walk the block to Penn Station and take LIRR.

I would be interested in where you get an affordable rate for a rental especially a one way.

I got a quote for Avis for about $65 one way, which is perfectly acceptable to me. I just need to figure which Avis is best to rent from. EWR or Jersey City. I will call directly to the Avis office to see what they advise. The 800 number didn't really help me. Thanks for your reply!

Edited by Heytray41
spelling error

Thanks for any info!

Traci

Where are you going on Long Island? What day of the week? How many people?

There is an Enterprise in Bayonne that might pick you up at the port.

Look at an airport rental if you want to take the Goethals Bridge to Staten Island and the Verazzano Bridge to Brooklyn to get on the Belt Pkwy.

Look at a Jersey City rental if you want to drive through the Holland Tunnel and through Manhattan to get on one of the Brooklyn or Queens roads to Long Island.

Uber would be best for either option. With an airport shuttle you will end up lugging your stuff on the Airtrain to get to either the rental car centers or to the P4 Station to connect with an offsite shuttle.

Perhaps, but what is your hotel budget and round trip transportation budget? Do you use Uber?

I can find you two rooms and round trip port transportation for 5 for $401 tax included. No breakfast, but on property food. Trinityreservations.com at the Ramada Plaza. ($195 + $206). Also Crowne Plaza for about $475 including breakfast.

The closest dinner food for Springhill Suites is 2 hotels over at the Courtyard Elizabeth. Otherwise it's takeout delivery. They do offer breakfast. The problem is arranging for 5 people to go to Cape Liberty in one vehicle for the $100 range each way.

Embassy Suites is well located and offers breakfast. Round trip port transportation is $20/pp each way ($200 total). Room costs $275 tax included.

Great info from all. Thank you. I’m going to look into these options per day. A hotel with a

shuttle might be the better route to go?

Great info from all. Thank you. I’m going to look into these options per day. A hotel with a

shuttle might be the better route to go?

Don't forget the Country Inns option. They figure out how many people and get the appropriate vehicles. Call them. Cost wise with 5 people your options tip in favor of some sort of shuttle in order to keep your group together without paying more than $100 each way for transportation.

Where are you going on Long Island? What day of the week? How many people?

There is an Enterprise in Bayonne that might pick you up at the port.

Look at an airport rental if you want to take the Goethals Bridge to Staten Island and the Verazzano Bridge to Brooklyn to get on the Belt Pkwy.

Look at a Jersey City rental if you want to drive through the Holland Tunnel and through Manhattan to get on one of the Brooklyn or Queens roads to Long Island.

Uber would be best for either option. With an airport shuttle you will end up lugging your stuff on the Airtrain to get to either the rental car centers or to the P4 Station to connect with an offsite shuttle.

Thanks for your help and info! I will call the Bayonne Enterprise to see if they will pick us up at the port.

Traci

I prefer to park at Cape Liberty port, and I would like to drive down the night before my cruise and stay at a reasonable yet clean hotel. Recommendations for the pre-cruise hotel?

Where are you driving from? Exact date? Hotel budget? Number of people? Will you arrive in time to be looking for dinner options? Lots of choices - please answer the questions to get the most appropriate suggestions.

A direct reservation with Country Inns would work. Room is $227.04 for 2 Queens and a sofabed. Round trip port transportation is $175 for 5 people. Free breakfast. Better choice with teenagers to be near the Mall and IHOP, Ruby Tuesdays, Johnny Rockets, Applebees, and the Mall food court.

Only 5 rooms left according to their web site.

Just seeing this, but I’m going to check. Thank you!

Just seeing this, but I’m going to check. Thank you!

Just realized we are arriving at EWR around 1:45 pm. Wondering if there is any sight seeing fairly easy to get to from the Country Inn you mentioned or the Embassy?

Just realized we are arriving at EWR around 1:45 pm. Wondering if there is any sight seeing fairly easy to get to from the Country Inn you mentioned or the Embassy?

There's really nothing to do at EWR. For about $13/pp each way you can take the train into New York Penn Station from the Newark Airport Station. You would take your hotel shuttle to the P4 Airtrain Station, ride the Airtrain to the Newark Airport Station, and take NJ Transit to New York Penn Station.

https://www.panynj.gov/airports/pdf/ewr-airtrain-brochure-english.pdf

http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainTo

Where are you driving from? Exact date? Hotel budget? Number of people? Will you arrive in time to be looking for dinner options? Lots of choices - please answer the questions to get the most appropriate suggestions.

You're fantastic!! Thank you so much for asking the follow up questions:

We're driving from Upstate NY, Cruise date in Feb (so snow routes could be a consideration). Budget is somewhere under $200, flexible, no frills needed. There will be 4 of us, and we probably will have had dinner on the road as we'll be arriving late evening.

You're fantastic!! Thank you so much for asking the follow up questions:

We're driving from Upstate NY, Cruise date in Feb (so snow routes could be a consideration). Budget is somewhere under $200, flexible, no frills needed. There will be 4 of us, and we probably will have had dinner on the road as we'll be arriving late evening.

Please - the exact date you need a hotel room?

Will you come in I80 or via some other route? Feb 9, 17, or 25 sail date?

Feb 9 sailing date. I'm not sure how we will come down, I haven't looked at routes. I'm sure the route you just identified is the most logical approach because you know the area amazingly well, so I will probably aim for that. Thanks again!

Two budget suggestions with 2 queen beds.

1) La Quinta Secaucus - $95 plus tax - $85.50 + tax AAA rate - free breakfast - 16 miles from Cape Liberty in the Plaza at Harmon Meadows - http://www.harmonmeadow.com/PublishingImages/HMDirectory.pdf

2) Country Inns Elizabeth - $109 plus tax plus $10 parking - may be less if you join Club Carlson - free breakfast - 13 miles from Cape Liberty

Both hotels have good turnpike access and good reviews for budget hotels. I have stayed at Country Inns. I've chosen La Quinta Manhattan as my precruise hotel next week.