Having trouble planning day in St. Martin/St. Maarten

Usually one of my favorite parts of vacationing is the planning that goes into both our land and sea trips. St. Martin/St. Maarten is really throwing me for a loop. It's almost like there are too many beaches to consider, but none of them seem to stand out. The other thing is it seems like (?) St.M is a lot more expensive than other ports? Is that a fair assessment? I've only been on Western or Bahamian itineraries, however, so perhaps this is more typical of eastern destinations?

We are a family with mom, dad and six kids ages 5 - 17 at the time of the trip. I'm reading warnings about traffic and travel delays to some sections of the island and concerns about returning to port on time. It also seems like cab fare is quite high?

I'm probably (unfairly) trying to hard to find something like our days in Honduras or Costa Maya. Do I need to reset my thinking? To me, beach days should be cheap. We like some non-motorized watersports (SUP, kayak), clean bathrooms and cheap soda.

Pinel Island has come up a time or two, as has Divi.

One good thing? I've learned a lot about the geography of St.M. Thanks, Google Earth! :)

Hello,

I just got back from 10 days in SXM on land, and it has always been my favorite island. It is probably more expensive than some other islands for cabs, but we have opted for the public buses. They're $1.50-$3 each way per person, and they go all over the island to the main areas. However, they make frequent stops and can take a long time, so I would not rely on them to go to more than one place and the ship. The buses to maho or Marigot are fine, but not to do both in one day.

Beach days are very easy. Great Bay Beach, the beach right off of downtown Phillipsurg, right next to where the water taxi will drop you off if you choose not to walk, is a very cheap and easy choice. The Holland House Beach Hotel runs a special that's $25 for two chairs, an umbrella, 4 drinks for their bar, access to their wifi, as well as access to their bathroom and showers. You could also lay out your towels if you choose to do so. Baie Rouge is a little out there and you would have to arrange for your taxi to come back for you later (most drivers will agree to not accept their money for both ways until they return to get you alter, just set a time), but Baie Rouge is cheap and very beautiful, also not very crowded. We paid 20 euros for two chairs and an umbrella. Grand Case is my favorite beach on the island. It's the culinary capital of the Caribbean, so the entire strip is lined with good restaurants, and the smell lingers over all day. Plus, the beach is very warm, calm, and not crowded at all if you get away from the main crowds. There can be good shade so swe have never rented chairs. Grand Case is very far away from the ship though, so I am not sure about taxis. We went once on a boat, and this past trip, we were renting an AirBnB right on the french side.

Pinel is also very beautiful. Some tour companies offer good deals, some using the ferry, some using their own boats, and I even saw one that allows you to kayak across and hacve your kayak for the whole day. Pinel is definitely an amazing place to visit, I could easily recommend that.

I love St.Maarten, and I know you will too. There are so many options for things to do that it can get a little overwhelming, and it doesn't help that each recommended place on the island is drop dead gorgeous. How could anyone pick from that!? :) Let me know if you need any more help, I'd be glad to help out!

Usually one of my favorite parts of vacationing is the planning that goes into both our land and sea trips. St. Martin/St. Maarten is really throwing me for a loop. It's almost like there are too many beaches to consider' date=' but none of them seem to stand out. The other thing is it seems like (?) St.M is a lot more expensive than other ports? Is that a fair assessment? I've only been on Western or Bahamian itineraries, however, so perhaps this is more typical of eastern destinations?

We are a family with mom, dad and six kids ages 5 - 17 at the time of the trip. I'm reading warnings about traffic and travel delays to some sections of the island and concerns about returning to port on time. It also seems like cab fare is quite high?

I'm probably (unfairly) trying to hard to find something like our days in Honduras or Costa Maya. Do I need to reset my thinking? To me, beach days should be cheap. We like some non-motorized watersports (SUP, kayak), clean bathrooms and cheap soda.

Pinel Island has come up a time or two, as has Divi.

One good thing? I've learned a lot about the geography of St.M. Thanks, Google Earth! :)[/quote']

Do a two beach day to Mullet and Maho with 3 divided 15 minute walks and $4 pp person for a bus each way and spend your day at a beautiful Caribbean beach and the fun world famous airplane beach.

That's about as inexpensive nice beach day that you can get anywhere.

Do a two beach day to Mullet and Maho with 3 divided 15 minute walks and $4 pp person for a bus each way and spend your day at a beautiful Caribbean beach and the fun world famous airplane beach.

The bus is $2 per way

Hello,

I just got back from 10 days in SXM on land, and it has always been my favorite island. It is probably more expensive than some other islands for cabs, but we have opted for the public buses. They're $1.50-$3 each way per person, and they go all over the island to the main areas. However, they make frequent stops and can take a long time, so I would not rely on them to go to more than one place and the ship. The buses to maho or Marigot are fine, but not to do both in one day.

Beach days are very easy. Great Bay Beach, the beach right off of downtown Phillipsurg, right next to where the water taxi will drop you off if you choose not to walk, is a very cheap and easy choice. The Holland House Beach Hotel runs a special that's $25 for two chairs, an umbrella, 4 drinks for their bar, access to their wifi, as well as access to their bathroom and showers. You could also lay out your towels if you choose to do so. Baie Rouge is a little out there and you would have to arrange for your taxi to come back for you later (most drivers will agree to not accept their money for both ways until they return to get you alter, just set a time), but Baie Rouge is cheap and very beautiful, also not very crowded. We paid 20 euros for two chairs and an umbrella. Grand Case is my favorite beach on the island. It's the culinary capital of the Caribbean, so the entire strip is lined with good restaurants, and the smell lingers over all day. Plus, the beach is very warm, calm, and not crowded at all if you get away from the main crowds. There can be good shade so swe have never rented chairs. Grand Case is very far away from the ship though, so I am not sure about taxis. We went once on a boat, and this past trip, we were renting an AirBnB right on the french side.

Pinel is also very beautiful. Some tour companies offer good deals, some using the ferry, some using their own boats, and I even saw one that allows you to kayak across and hacve your kayak for the whole day. Pinel is definitely an amazing place to visit, I could easily recommend that.

I love St.Maarten, and I know you will too. There are so many options for things to do that it can get a little overwhelming, and it doesn't help that each recommended place on the island is drop dead gorgeous. How could anyone pick from that!? :) Let me know if you need any more help, I'd be glad to help out!

Do you just show up at The Holland House or can you reserve beach chairs in advance?

Hello,

First off THANK YOU for your detailed response. You clearly love the island and you helped to inject some new enthusiasm. We are going to St. M on MSC Seaside in June. We were originally booked for a January cruise, but some things came up and we needed to move it out. Initially I had been very interested in St. M, but I admit that when we had to change the cruise, I had carefully considered jumping ship altogether and going with another line for a different itinerary. We hung in there and that's when I made my second attempt at gathering information.

Great Bay is a nice and close. That would appeal to my husband who sometimes worries about getting back to the ship in time. Is it normally calm? It just dawned on me that I haven't checked to see how many in port that day. Normally we aren't ones to mind crowds, but it will be good to check! That deal at Holland House is fantastic. That is a real possibility. I think I saw you mention that in another thread as well. Do you believe that is first come/first served? We are normally some of the first people off the ship, so that isn't a problem.

I looked more into the Pinel Island kayak thing. While I confess the potential clothing optional piece is a bit of an eyebrow raiser for this mom of teens/tweens, I like the idea of the active piece of kayaking. I contacted the company and they quoted me $290. That includes transportation and the fun of kayaking. That doesn't include food, drinks, chairs or umbrellas though. I haven't ruled it out....

Our other ports are San Juan and Nassau. Both will likely be inexpensive days. We will do SJ on our own and mostly sight see. I haven't decided on what to do at Nassau yet. We've been there plenty, but don't hate a morning at Junkanoo and head back to the ship. It's definitely a cheap-o day.

This is a very port-poor itinerary, but we are on it for the ridiculously low price - something I am always after with a family of 8!

I'm going to look in to Grand Case, as well. But the distance does intimidate me considering the large group we are.

Thank you for your information. I have seen in other threads that you are very knowledgeable about St.M. Thanks for helping me out.

For sure that would be exceptionally inexpensive. Believe it or not, we aren't too interested in the airplane thing. I imagine it is loud. Am I wrong? Maybe I need to revisit that.

I hadn't looked into public transport, so I shall. Thank you.

Thank you for your information. I have seen in other threads that you are very knowledgeable about St.M. Thanks for helping me out.

For sure that would be exceptionally inexpensive. Believe it or not' date=' we aren't too interested in the airplane thing. I imagine it is loud. Am I wrong? Maybe I need to revisit that.

I hadn't looked into public transport, so I shall. Thank you.[/quote']

:) There are not too many beaches that you can reach easily by bus but Mullet and Maho are. You tube Maho beach. I'm sure your kids will love an hour or so there. Mine sure have over the years.

I have never bussed to Grand Case but I have read reports of people bussing to Marigot and changing busses and continuing on to GC. It costs more than getting to Maho/Mullet.

Do you just show up at The Holland House or can you reserve beach chairs in advance?

I believe if you sit in their chairs, someone will approach you, but I would honestly walk into their lobby to their Guest Services and talk to them to make sure you get the deal.

First off THANK YOU for your detailed response. You clearly love the island and you helped to inject some new enthusiasm. We are going to St. M on MSC Seaside in June. We were originally booked for a January cruise' date=' but some things came up and we needed to move it out. Initially I had been very interested in St. M, but I admit that when we had to change the cruise, I had carefully considered jumping ship altogether and going with another line for a different itinerary. We hung in there and that's when I made my second attempt at gathering information.

Great Bay is a nice and close. That would appeal to my husband who sometimes worries about getting back to the ship in time. Is it normally calm? It just dawned on me that I haven't checked to see how many in port that day. Normally we aren't ones to mind crowds, but it will be good to check! That deal at Holland House is fantastic. That is a real possibility. I think I saw you mention that in another thread as well. Do you believe that is first come/first served? We are normally some of the first people off the ship, so that isn't a problem.

I looked more into the Pinel Island kayak thing. While I confess the potential clothing optional piece is a bit of an eyebrow raiser for this mom of teens/tweens, I like the idea of the active piece of kayaking. I contacted the company and they quoted me $290. That includes transportation and the fun of kayaking. That doesn't include food, drinks, chairs or umbrellas though. I haven't ruled it out....

Our other ports are San Juan and Nassau. Both will likely be inexpensive days. We will do SJ on our own and mostly sight see. I haven't decided on what to do at Nassau yet. We've been there plenty, but don't hate a morning at Junkanoo and head back to the ship. It's definitely a cheap-o day.

This is a very port-poor itinerary, but we are on it for the ridiculously low price - something I am always after with a family of 8!

I'm going to look in to Grand Case, as well. But the distance does intimidate me considering the large group we are.[/quote']

Glad to have helped! St.Maarten is truly special, and I believe you will enjoy it. Grand Case is usually not too rough in terms of waves, but depending on the number of ships, it can be horrid. I would definitely recommend checking (Use the website CruiseTimeTables dot com, they're much more reliable than Cruise TT) and see what your port situation is looking like. June is low season, but coming from Florida, you may get clumped with a few ships all arriving to the area on the same day, starting their port stops in SXM.

Baie Rouge may be a good option. I wish I could help you with the taxi rate, our AirBnB host drove us to and from when we went. But it would be an amazing place to take your family. It's called "Baie Rouge' because of the slight red pigmentation in the sand on the beach. You can swim out from Baie Rouge into a little enclave to another very secluded beach (it is only accessible from the water) and enjoy that. It is also quiet, so you can read a book and relax while your kids play. It is on the French side, but I don't recall seeing any sunbathers who chose to exclude any articles of their clothing. Other french side beaches, like grand Case, Orient, and Pinel, will be full of that if it's something to look out for.

Mullet is also a great option! I have not been but everyone on the island recommends it. I gotta save something for my next visit! :)

We like the town beach, which you can see from the ship. There are sidewalks to get there; about a 20-minute walk, or water taxi. Very pleasant beach. Servers from various bars and restaurants can provide loungers, drinks, etc., or you can just take your own ship beach towels and say No thanks. It has never been overcrowded, in our visits. It's nice to be able to see the ship and know that we're not dependent on a taxi to show up to get us back. There are shops along the promenade, and stalls with crafts, pareos, etc. along the way.

Glad to have helped! St.Maarten is truly special, and I believe you will enjoy it. Grand Case is usually not too rough in terms of waves, but depending on the number of ships, it can be horrid. I would definitely recommend checking (Use the website CruiseTimeTables dot com, they're much more reliable than Cruise TT) and see what your port situation is looking like. June is low season, but coming from Florida, you may get clumped with a few ships all arriving to the area on the same day, starting their port stops in SXM.

Baie Rouge may be a good option. I wish I could help you with the taxi rate, our AirBnB host drove us to and from when we went. But it would be an amazing place to take your family. It's called "Baie Rouge' because of the slight red pigmentation in the sand on the beach. You can swim out from Baie Rouge into a little enclave to another very secluded beach (it is only accessible from the water) and enjoy that. It is also quiet, so you can read a book and relax while your kids play. It is on the French side, but I don't recall seeing any sunbathers who chose to exclude any articles of their clothing. Other french side beaches, like grand Case, Orient, and Pinel, will be full of that if it's something to look out for.

Mullet is also a great option! I have not been but everyone on the island recommends it. I gotta save something for my next visit! :)

You really have been to Grand Case where the crowds were "horrid" due to the amount of ships in port.

I would never have guessed that by reading this board or by what I have witnessed but I have not been in Jan to April for several years now. I never would have guessed this due to the distance from the port.

You really have been to Grand Case where the crowds were "horrid" due to the amount of ships in port.

I would never have guessed that by reading this board or by what I have witnessed but I have not been in Jan to April for several years now. I never would have guessed this due to the distance from the port.

Our visits to St Maarten are kind of shotgun -- spread throughout the entire year, not focused on a specific month or season, and with 60 weeks spent on-island we've been there through it all.

We spend time in Grand Case, as we frequent The Lolos a lot, and we love Calmos, so hit them multiple times during a visit.

All that said, we've never seen it crowded, much less 'horrid'.in Grand Case.

gary

We like the town beach, which you can see from the ship. There are sidewalks to get there; about a 20-minute walk, or water taxi. Very pleasant beach. Servers from various bars and restaurants can provide loungers, drinks, etc., or you can just take your own ship beach towels and say No thanks. It has never been overcrowded, in our visits. It's nice to be able to see the ship and know that we're not dependent on a taxi to show up to get us back. There are shops along the promenade, and stalls with crafts, pareos, etc. along the way.

What is the name of the "town beach"? Can you swim there? Are there jet ski rentals?

What is the name of the "town beach"? Can you swim there? Are there jet ski rentals?

There is a beach with jet ski rentals. There are also ongoing pollution issues that have kept us out of the water here for a decade. Do a search here on Great Bay beach pollution and you will find threads discussing the issue. Easier than rehashing what for some reason brings out claws in people.

Thanks for all the great information on St. Maarten. We will be there on the Regal 3/8/18. Years ago we rented a jeep and toured the island. Do you know anything about that? Is it safe to wander around not being on a tour? Thanks

Thanks for all the great information on St. Maarten. We will be there on the Regal 3/8/18. Years ago we rented a jeep and toured the island. Do you know anything about that? Is it safe to wander around not being on a tour? Thanks

My pleasure! No, I do not know anything about renting jeeps and driving around the island, I am sorry about that. But, where you will be able to walk on foot without having to take a taxi, through Phillipsburg, as well as through Marigot, you should be fine. However, in certain neighborhoods like Sandy Ground, I would recommend not just wandering. Where were you thinking of wandering?