caye caulkre or goff's cay

marty's mom

Island Marketing is a jobber/clearance company for smaller vendors. Not sure who they use for Goeff's Caye. But if you just want a beach and snorkeling, that's all you'll get. The caye is just a small spit of sand in the ocean. Nothing there.

Caye Caulker, has hotels, shops, restaurants, walkable, beaches, you can snorkel out at the split if you bring your own gear. Not sure what Coral Breeze is asking but you can DIY Caye Caulker via water taxi and it might be cheaper. Check the water taxi schedules.

http://www.belizewatertaxi.com/

Coral Breeze has had a mixed reputation on excursions. Delays leaving, missed reservations, etc. They used to work with Wet Lizard bar to set up excursion booking, but I think WL dropped them..too many problems. Thing s may be different now.

thank you

yes, the taxi would be about $15 pp cheaper but I read that sometimes they don't run timely as the cruise ships use them for extra tenders.

a link in the taxi site also does caye caulker trips which may be better than coral breeze, similar dollars

hmmm

thank you

yes' date=' the taxi would be about $15 pp cheaper but I read that sometimes they don't run timely as the cruise ships use them for extra tenders.

a link in the taxi site also does caye caulker trips which may be better than coral breeze, similar dollars

hmmm[/quote']

That's true if there are a number of ships in port with you, especially if a couple are really big ships. Check the site, cruisett.com and see what the schedule says. These can be outdated as sometime projected itineraries are changed but the site doesn't get notified.

Also check the return times on the taxi and keeping in mind a possible difference in time from ship's time versus Belize time. Last tenders are usually 45-minutes to an hour before departure, depending on how far out the ship anchors. it's a 15-20 minute tender ride into the pier.

What is the condition of these areas post Hurricane Earl?

My understanding is that they closed excursions to Goeff's Caye for a week or so but they're up and running again.

On Caye Caulker, there was some damage. Some places got ripped up. Lazy Lizard at the split looked destroyed, but they are rebuilding. So should be near normal now.

My understanding is that they closed excursions to Goeff's Caye for a week or so but they're up and running again.

On Caye Caulker, there was some damage. Some places got ripped up. Lazy Lizard at the split looked destroyed, but they are rebuilding. So should be near normal now.

Good to hear that. I assume the cave tubing excursions weren't really affected by Earl.

• 2 weeks later...

I loved it here---we rode on a speed boat, it took about 1/2 hour. It was a little bumpy but after getting used to it it was fun! The staff on the boat were wonderful so friendly and talkative. They even had water for us. The island is about the size of a football field if that.

The water was beautiful. After we got all settled, they took those who wanted to snorkel out in the boat. There was a huge coral reef and lots of fish. They had lunch, a BBQ and rum punch, and water. You could buy pop if you wanted. The island and the water were just perfect. If you go there expecting a lot to do you will be disappointed It is just relaxation. We booked another cruise that had the same destination. We booked far ahead-and they changed the itentary. It does not stop in Belize. We still are going on the cruise, maybe we will find something new to do!

In Nov we are going to Goff's Caye with Belizecruiseexcursions.com (the one referred to in the OP's comments - the one that is handled by island marketing)

- when I saw the pictures of this tiny beautiful island, well, this excursion jumped to the top of several possible options.

- price is reasonable, snorkeling is said to be "good" (not excellent), and the island is just like a Caribbean dream. And, it is a little closer than Caye Caulker.

- If we ever go back (which I hope we do), Caye Caulker remains high on the list of other excursions we would like to try, but just look at the photos of Goff's caye and tell me you don't long to stretch out on the beach, breath deeply, and live the dream (if only for a couple hours).

Don

I don't know a thing about any other company, and since we have yet to actually go on the excursion, I have no recommendation I can offer for Belizecrusieexcursions.com

I simply emailed and they responded quickly with a link to make a reservation and all the required details. They did take a 20% up front payment on the excursion by credit card, which they say will be refunded if the ship cannot tender or if the weather will not allow for the excursion. All the correspondence came from island marketing, but had specific details of where and when to meet the cruise operator on the day of the excursion.

We shall know more in a little more than a month.

Don