Distance & price for taxi Philipsburg - Maho Beach

What will be the average rate for a taxi from Philipsburg to Maho Beach? How long will it approximately take to get from Philipsburg to Maho Beach? I heard that traffic is very bad...

Will it be possible to walk from the pier to downtown Philipsburg or would it be better to take a taxi? What would be the average rate here?

So many questions as we are going to be in the Carribbean and on a cruise for the first time :)

Thanks! Do I have to make an Arrangement with a taxi Driver or are there enough Taxis at Maho Beach waiting for People?

You do not have to make any taxi arrangement/reservations. Yes, there are plenty of taxi drivers at Maho beach to take you back to the pier, no need to worry. You'll hear them saying, taxi back to the ship quite often.

• 2 weeks later...
Be there by Eleven, but I've been disappointed with flights arriving even earlier.

gary

Any problems getting back, we can do a organised tour but i think we'll save money by getting our own taxi, prob stay a couple of hours would you say, 2 hours should be enough to get back

Melanie

Any problems getting back, we can do a organised tour but i think we'll save money by getting our own taxi, prob stay a couple of hours would you say, 2 hours should be enough to get back

Melanie

I would have just done an organized tour but the only ones I could find our combo tours to two different beaches and they leave too early for my ship arrival. But it sounds like its a better deal just to take a taxi anyway and then I'm not tied to waiting for a bus to be ready to return.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

We took a shared taxi van right from the pier and it was $8 per person

We ended up on one of these on our way back from Maho Beach several years ago--the price quoted was so much cheaper than our ride to Maho, but being the first four into the cab, we didn't know it was going to be a "shared ride." This cab made numerous stops like a bus--and everyone was talking to the driver in French. This didn't bother us until the cab left the main road and started transporting passengers into neighborhoods where tourists never visit. Between the fact that we didn't know where we were, and everyone else in the cab seemed to know each other and the driver--but we couldn't understand what was being said--and being trapped in the back with our kids with no access to a door--I have to say we were a little concerned.

Once he dropped off all the others, he parked in an alley behind all the shops where the tourists shop, and left us in the running van while he went into a parking lot and rummaged through the trunk of a parked car for about 10 minutes. Our oldest daughter was starting to panic. He then returned, said nothing, and took us to the pier. I thought, "We were lucky this time." This was a perfect example of "You get what you pay for!!" The $8 we saved was not worth the stress...

I would have just done an organized tour but the only ones I could find our combo tours to two different beaches and they leave too early for my ship arrival. But it sounds like its a better deal just to take a taxi anyway and then I'm not tied to waiting for a bus to be ready to return.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Yes our ship docks early (8am) and leaves at 5pm

Viator does a trip to a beach first then to maho beach its £50 for the 2 of us

We ended up on one of these on our way back from Maho Beach several years ago--the price quoted was so much cheaper than our ride to Maho, but being the first four into the cab, we didn't know it was going to be a "shared ride." This cab made numerous stops like a bus--and everyone was talking to the driver in French. This didn't bother us until the cab left the main road and started transporting passengers into neighborhoods where tourists never visit. Between the fact that we didn't know where we were, and everyone else in the cab seemed to know each other and the driver--but we couldn't understand what was being said--and being trapped in the back with our kids with no access to a door--I have to say we were a little concerned.

Once he dropped off all the others, he parked in an alley behind all the shops where the tourists shop, and left us in the running van while he went into a parking lot and rummaged through the trunk of a parked car for about 10 minutes. Our oldest daughter was starting to panic. He then returned, said nothing, and took us to the pier. I thought, "We were lucky this time." This was a perfect example of "You get what you pay for!!" The $8 we saved was not worth the stress...

But from the story you wrote, it sound more like one of this public buses than a "shared taxi". Have you checked the licence plate ?

The share ride taxis leave directly from the port and bring u back all the way to the port. They are large (10 or 12 passenger full size vans). It is very organized. Walk off ship and when get to the end of pier just go to the other side of the large yellow tourist shop,building and all the vans board there. Look for the pillar for "Maho beach". There are about 4 or 5 different pillars with different destinations. The time we used it they had people directing u to correct line.

The bus option leaves from town. It is cheaper, but you have to get to and from town to use them.

The vans are a good deal, IMHO, they aren't going to make any stops on way to the beach. (They do usually drive through town on way to ship trying to pick up passengers to take back to the ship. It really only adds 5 or 10 minutes to the time it takes to get back to ship.