Beach day with bar

DrMrsRichardson

I usually cruise in the Carribbean and am looking for a similar type of experience... (Usually we go to a beach club or get a day pass at a resort- which I understand is not common in HI). I am looking for recomendations for beaches (will be traveling 12/12-12/19) on all of the islands where there are bars either at the beach or at beach resorts that will allow nonguests to buy drinks to drink on the beach. I am cruising for my honeymoon and want to spend a lot of time sipping mai tais basking in the sun and splashing around in the water with my new husband.

Thanks in advance.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding & honeymoon:)

Beverages aren't served on the beaches in Hawaii (no alcohol allowed) - but there are some nice restaurants & bars where you can enjoy food & drinks right next to the beach.

You can go to any of the resorts and eat/drink at their restaurants and bars and swim at the beaches (all beaches are public - you just can't use the pools.)

Hula Grill on Maui (in Kaanapali), The Beach Tree at the Four Seasons on the Big Island and the Beach Bar at Moana Surfrider (Waikiki) are a few that come to mind.

A google search for Hawaii's best beach bars brings up this list.

One of our favorite "take outs" on Waikiki is Duke's bar at the Outrigger Waikiki Beach. They have great food to take down to the beach and the mai tai you don't finish while waiting for your food you can put in your "go" cup. In front of the Outrigger you can rent umbrellas and lounges and enjoy the beautiful water of Waikiki as long as you like.

On another thread someone recommended renting chairs from Snorkel Bob's. Their program of renting on one island and returning on another island is great. If you have time when in Honolulu you can go to the K-Mart and buy a couple of beach chairs and an umbrella and then leave it for some one else when you leave. I have given many chairs and umbrellas to happy tourists and restaurant/bar staff. And...if you go to the K-Mart there is a thrift store across the street you might try first. If you are looking for Aloha shirts there are racks and racks for about $5. Just a thought. Have fun on your honeymoon, Cherie

On the Big Island, at the end of the pier in Kona is the King Kamehameha Hotel. There is a fairly nice but small beach. Sand was brought in after the 2011 Tsunami. Marriott purchased the hotel a few years back. There is a full bar at the pool area with a lunch menu. There are some tables and chairs right in the pool area as well as a row right in front of the pool area. So this is fairly close to the water.

Kona Boys has a rental shack on the beach. You can rent anything from snorkel gear to standup paddle boards. Water here is calm. Sometimes on Wednesdays when POA is in port there are a few locals selling crafts and music

http://www.konabeachhotel.com

Another favorite is the Hula Grill on Maui as well as the ones mentioned above on Oahu.

Aloha, congratulations on your wedding.

Milolii - If you eat at the restaurant by the pool can you use the pool? We have stayed at the King Kam and it is our first choice when staying in Kona. In fact, it was the hotel I stayed at on the Big Island when my parents took me on my first Hawaiian Islands tour in 1973. I know it is not the same hotel but I still enjoy it's location, facilities, and history. Cherie

Edited by cccole

Milolii - If you eat at the restaurant by the pool can you use the pool? We have stayed at the King Kam and it is our first choice when staying in Kona. In fact, it was the hotel I stayed at on the Big Island when my parents took me on my first Hawaiian Islands tour in 1973. I know it is not the same hotel but I still enjoy it's location, facilities, and history. Cherie

Well, you are not supposed too. I do admit to taking a quick dip on occasions. We take frequent one night trips to enjoy the pools and restaurants at several of the hotels in Kona and up in Kohala. It usually depends on who is running the best rate or offering a Kama'aina rate. We have stayed there before several times, and while enjoying the pool on one occassion, we saw management call the parents of some very rowdy teenagers using the pool.

Yes, the hotel does have some great history. That is so cool you stayed there in 1973. I have not stayed there since Marriott took over as the prices went up. They may perhaps sell a day pass now. The OP might want to call and find out. I think it is cool that you an see your ship from there as well.

Hawaii is a totally different "feel" from the Caribbean...don't expect the same experience! There is no comparison in the waters.....generally, the Caribbean is clear and warm...Hawaii's waters are beautiful blue, but not as clear, and definitely not as warm or as calm!!!

• 3 weeks later...

On Kauai your best bet is the Marriott Kauai.

On Maui, it depends on where you go, west or south, I'd probably go west and there are a ton of places on Front Street to drink overlooking the water, or go down to Ka'anapali and drink at Leilani's, Hula Grill or one of the hotels.

On Oahu there is The House Without a Key (Halekulani), Banyan Court (Moana Surfrider), Mai Tai Bar (Royal Hawaiian) and the Barefoot Bar (Hale Koa).

On the BI, it depends on where you are docking.

As others have said, there is no drinking on the beach in Hawaii and no, you can not use the pools because you've had a drink. Some hotels police the pools strictly, some do not.

Hawaii is a totally different "feel" from the Caribbean...don't expect the same experience! There is no comparison in the waters.....generally, the Caribbean is clear and warm...Hawaii's waters are beautiful blue, but not as clear, and definitely not as warm or as calm!!!

I'd say that depends on what beach you go to and the time of year. I suppose our water is slightly cooler and more so in the winter. And yes, we can get some very rough days for surf. But other days the water is calm as can be. And some beaches have the clearest water I have ever experienced (particularly west side of Oahu, where I spend the most of my time)

~Katy

• 2 weeks later...

Big Island of Hawaii (Kona side)

Close to the pier in Kona you can walk to Huggo's on the Rocks. It's waterfront, and although there's no beach, it's a toes-in-the-sand restaurant and bar with good drinks, music, and food.

Further afield in Waikaloa is the Lava Lava Beach Club... A fantastic restaurant and bar set on a beautiful beach. You'll need to take a taxi... A 40-45 minute ride. However, once you're there it's in a great spot with lots of terrific shopping nearby too.

Big Island of Hawaii (Kona side)

Close to the pier in Kona you can walk to Huggo's on the Rocks. It's waterfront, and although there's no beach, it's a toes-in-the-sand restaurant and bar with good drinks, music, and food.

Further afield in Waikaloa is the Lava Lava Beach Club... A fantastic restaurant and bar set on a beautiful beach. You'll need to take a taxi... A 40-45 minute ride. However, once you're there it's in a great spot with lots of terrific shopping nearby too.

Lava Lava is our favorite Kona side restaurant. It is our first stop upon arrival and our last stop before boarding a flight home. Did they serve you on the beach? The setting is beautiful but rocky. The beach next to it, in front of the Marriott, is wonderful but I didn't know Lava Lava served you there. Is there also a beach on the other side? Cherie