Myanmar Clothing

deec

What is appropriate clothing for women to visit pagodas and stupas in Myanmar. Do skirts have to be full lenght...covering ankles...or just below knees and shoulders covered?

What is appropriate clothing for women to visit pagodas and stupas in Myanmar. Do skirts have to be full lenght...covering ankles...or just below knees and shoulders covered?

Hi,

I was in Myanmar last year, and there are no real rules governing clothing for pagodas and stupas. However, most of us had clothing that kept our shoulders covered, and some wore skirts. I wore slacks, and never had a problem. And, of course, shoes were removed before entering the temples. It really comes down to an issue of respect for other cultures.

I loved Myanmar and its people--I hope you will, too.:)

Thanks, Judy. You and the other regular posters on this forum are one of the primary reasons we decided to go to Myanmar sooner than later.....the great info from all of you and your willingness to keep answering our questions even after your trips are only fantastic memories are very appreciated!

Hi,

I was in Myanmar last year, and there are no real rules governing clothing for pagodas and stupas. However, most of us had clothing that kept our shoulders covered, and some wore skirts. I wore slacks, and never had a problem. And, of course, shoes were removed before entering the temples. It really comes down to an issue of respect for other cultures.

I loved Myanmar and its people--I hope you will, too.:)

Yes, agree about no real rules and not as strict as some countries. I wore sleeveless tops/blouses (need to stay cool:)) and cropped trousers without any issues whatsoever. Wear comfortable shoes/sandals that can be easily slipped on/off. Have a great time, Myanmar is absolutely stunning.

Edited by chrispb
omission