Going to Alaska... Help!!!!

Ladydamascus

I am traveling with my mom on a Holland America cruise (Inside Passage) May 15th-May22. She has mobility issues and walks with a walker. I am looking for independent activities in Juneau, Sitka, Ketchican, Hubbard Glacier that are reasonably priced (below $150.00 per person). She likes fishing and wants to see wildlife. She cannot walk far and cannot board a vessel without a ramp, or steps directly from pier. Also, any ideas for activities is Victoria in the evening?

Most of the ports you are visiting will require walking -- a lot of it.

HAL docks the furthest away from in Juneau. But you may luck out and get to use the new pier.

Ketchikan -- again we were far from town.

Sitka -- a toss up -- most of our HAL cruises we had to tender to the bridge area, walk up a steep ramp and then walk to town. Now last year HAL docked out of town and shuttle buses took people to town.

Victoria -- there are shuttle buses to go to town. Not a lot open for the few hours that you are there in the evening.

Hubbard Glacier you don't get off the ship.

Is there any chance you could rent a wheel chair or a scooter for the cruise? I use Care Vacations.

Victoria - The Royal British Columbia Museum is across the street from the Empress Hotel and I believe (still checking) that they operate later hours when cruise ships are in town late. Might be worth looking in to. Transport type wheelchairs are available for loan at the coat check on a 1st come basis. Adults C$22, Seniors (65+) C$16.

In Ketchican we loved the Alaska Crab Tour (i.e. "Deadliest Catch") the boat is 100% wheelchair accessible. You get to see lots of wildlife and handle the crabs and creatures they haul up. Lots of fun stories and if it is chilly they have nice warm parkas and overhead heaters too! http://www.alaskacrabtour.com/ They do sell out, so if something you are interested in check it out. We were on HAL as well. We walked off the ship and they had reps waiting to direct us down the pier to the boat.

Hubbard Glacier will be cruising only, you won't get off there.

You may want to try one of the famous tea rooms while in Victoria. http://www.10best.com/destinations/canada/victoria/restaurants/afternoon-tea/

I am traveling with my mom on a Holland America cruise (Inside Passage) May 15th-May22. She has mobility issues and walks with a walker. I am looking for independent activities in Juneau, Sitka, Ketchican, Hubbard Glacier that are reasonably priced (below $150.00 per person). She likes fishing and wants to see wildlife. She cannot walk far and cannot board a vessel without a ramp, or steps directly from pier. Also, any ideas for activities is Victoria in the evening?

Hi LadyD,

Welcome to cruise critic.

Unless you are not able, I would get a wheelchair for your mother and push her. If it fits into your budget, I would suggest you also rent an electric scooter for on board to allow her some extra independence.

You don't say if this is your first cruise. If it is you should know there is nothing about cruising that is easy for someone with mobility issues (there is a lot of standing and walking involved right from the start).

This website is a valuable tool to research your options for your trip. If you go to the main "Boards home" page you will see the many different sections, including on for "ports of call"...check out the threads for "Alaska" and "Canada(Alaska/Pacific costal)". Here you will be able to find ideas/options for all your ports. I would also be sure to look at the threads just above the port of call threads...North American homeports...click on the West coast departures. This thread will give you invaluable advise about the ports you will be departing/returning. Everything from public transport, restaurants, points of interest, hotels can be found there and if you are unsure just ask, you will get a response quickly. Used in conjunction with other internet resources, you will be well equipped to have everything for your trip organized before you leave.

Excursions in Alaska (the ones that are "really" special) tend to be expensive. So you will need to determine what you "definitely" want to do within your budget then figure out how to make the best choices with what you have left. We found that renting a car allowed us to see and do things at a fraction of the cost of an organized tour at some ports...you should consider this as an option in your planning.

hope this helps getting started here

have a great cruise

Ladydamascus, welcome to Cruise Critic.

While you are getting information here I highly recommend you also repost this on the Alaska Ports Of Call Board.

You will get a lot more information there and advice from others who regularly sail Alaska.

This link will take you there.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=55

Keith